• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Your tests always make me feel bad [mention]BlinkVallen[/mention] since I look at some of the questions and know I don't have answers for them and it makes me sit and ponder whether I should or not :p

"deity" not "diety"

Only pointing this out because my brain has been turned to mush by circuit analysis so it took me an embarrassingly long time to unscramble that typo.

Not submitting through the form because I live by my own rules. Lots of fun questions!

Gosh darn it I always do that, thank you. (And you don't have to submit the form if you don't want, no hard feelings. :p)
You know, screw it, I don't want to have to send out PMs to everyone, so anyone who wants to test run it can go do that here.
So I've taken this questionnaire and your previous one, took out a few questions that didn't apply to my story (like political stances) and threw them into a text document so I could use them for my characters and keep track of them for future reference. With one line for a question and one for an answer, no spacing between them, all of your questions pile up to 278 lines.

I love looking at stuff like this. Data is beautiful, as are these questions and the answers to them! :D

I'm really glad you're finding it useful. o3o I wish there was a more graceful way for people to save their answers, but I would probably have to move off of Google Forms for that.

Your tests always make me feel bad [mention]BlinkVallen[/mention] since I look at some of the questions and know I don't have answers for them and it makes me sit and ponder whether I should or not :p

Don't feel bad at all. It just means you're learning new stuff about your character, so the questionnaire is working. >W> I have to come up with new stuff too while I'm taking it.

Damn it Bink! why do all these seemingly useless questions ahve tmake me think >.<

In general though, I like your questionnaires, but I wonder if all this seemingly unrelated details will actually matter at all in a story xD
It's gotten me to think of some little tidbits of story I could put into Storm Island. I decided that the favorite sport for one of the characters' I filled out the form for was horseback riding (which would kinda fit their rich kid lifestyle), which has me thinking about ways to incorporate that into the story. Or the fact that one of the characters, as a foreigner to Storm Island, will be wanting to document pretty much every day of her experiences via photos and journals. I feel like one of the problems with Storm Island (and Pavell has told me this) is that I don't slow down to enjoy the scenery. Getting these little details down for my characters will give me an excuse to do that if I don't outright forget them by the time they'll become relevant.

No time right now, but I'll definitely have to take this test at some point. Thanks for the constant stream of useful character insight! Seriously, I'd never have thought of half (or probably a fair bit more) the stuff on here without tests like this.

I need more Joe Hisaishi on my iPod.

Speaking of which, I bought my first non-Miyazaki Ghibli film today. The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Haven't watched it yet though.

Speaking of which, I bought my first non-Miyazaki Ghibli film today. The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Haven't watched it yet though.

I've been meaning to watch that. I tried to watch Tales of Earthsea on the tv a while back: couldn't do it. I don't know what Goro Miyazaki thought he was trying to do with it, but it was a mess

A little lore question:

What determines the color of a psychic Pokemon or trainer's psychic glow when they use their powers? For trainers alone, we have seen green (for Sabrina and the male Psychic in RSE,) pink, magenta, and light yellow (all from psychics from 3rd to 5th Gen.) (And then there's the trainers in 1st, 2nd, and 6th Gen., whose powers don't glow at all.) Why does the color differ from user to user? Is it linked to Aura at all? Is it possible for the color to change if it is based on Aura (or even if it isn't?)

Last edited:

I've been meaning to watch that. I tried to watch Tales of Earthsea on the tv a while back: couldn't do it. I don't know what Goro Miyazaki thought he was trying to do with it, but it was a mess

That's a shame. I'm almost done with A Wizard of Earthsea, and it's so good. I had wanted to watch Tales, but I dunno. I'm not hearing terribly good things about it.

Also, It's about time for me to get a new laptop. :( I dropped my current one a few weeks ago and cracked the area around the charger port, and now it's having a very difficult time charging at all.

That's a shame. I'm almost done with A Wizard of Earthsea, and it's so good. I had wanted to watch Tales, but I dunno. I'm not hearing terribly good things about it.

I really wouldn't. A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, great books. Tehanu ... not so much. Goro Miyazaki tried a kind of pastiche of the books, and it really doesn't work

A little lore question:

What determines the color of a psychic Pokemon or trainer's psychic glow when they use their powers? For trainers alone, we have seen green (for Sabrina and the male Psychic in RSE,) pink, magenta, and light yellow (all from psychics from 3rd to 5th Gen.) (And then there's the trainers in 1st, 2nd, and 6th Gen., whose powers don't glow at all.) Why does the color differ from user to user? Is it linked to Aura at all? Is it possible for the color to change if it is based on Aura (or even if it isn't?)

For psychic powers, I'd have to agree with Pavell, and say no glow is probably best. I don't know how you interpret these things to work, but I generally interpret most psychic attacks to involve inducing headaches, dizziness, nausea, et cetera to mess with the enemy's mind and put them off fighting. Other ways to attack could involve using telekinesis, to either lift and throw objects, or to simply blast the opponent. All of these things seem rather better to me to not have fancy glows and that, I think the idea of psychic abilities works better for them being invisible - it seems more fitting to me somehow.

In response to other things glowing, like the Bite example Pavell mentioned, I would say that really depends on how you interpret the attack. In this particular case, how you interpret Bite as being Dark type. If it's because the teeth are infused with dark energy or something for the attack, then I would argue a glow of some sort might make sense. If it's just a normal bite, and is only Dark type because biting someone in the middle of a fight could be considered 'fighting dirty' (doesn't always make sense, since for some pokemon, their teeth would be their main and most obvious weapons) then a glow does not make sense. Personally, I don't pay much attention to game types, only what an attack literally is, so I'd be the latter, but I understand most people don't do this. So yeah, it depends on some things.

I also agree with you two about psychic attacks. Such attacks would be mostly invisible aside from perhaps visible ripples in the air if we're talking about moves such as Psychic in my fic. However, there could be a couple of moves that might not benefit from this idea, such as Psybeam, Psywave or Zen Headbutt. At any rate, it is entirely up to the author what he or she will do.

When it comes to Bite, it's just that: a bite. Nothing fancy about it to be honest, though I can imagine the more powerful Crunch would have a dark coloration when executed.

I really wouldn't. A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, great books. Tehanu ... not so much. Goro Miyazaki tried a kind of pastiche of the books, and it really doesn't work

Yeah Earthsea is kind of agreed to be one of the worst Ghibli films and Miyazaki films xD

So apparently we're moving on from variations to full-on half-breeds between Pokemon. What's peoples opinion on this concept?

If anything, I'm a fan of certain traits being carried over to the half-breed, though it would still remain predominantly the species of the mother.

Back
Top Bottom