• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've been on a boat a couple times, but never got seasick. Or airsick. Which is kind of odd, because I get carsick very easily, especially when there's a lot of turning and stopping.

Been on a boat twice (that I can recall). The first boat was big enough that I didn't feel anything, but the second was much smaller and out in the open ocean. I didn't feel nauseous (though a tad disoriented) until I got off the boat and starting... showing signs after a few hours. Not a very fun experience.

I much prefer land over water. even though i route for aqua over magma

RIP Mr. Iwata... You were a great president for the big N. And you spoke the awesomest English I ever heard from a non-native speaker. *sniff*

I'm not talking about how he pronounced the words or anything. I like the way he sounded. It always made me chuckle...

Seriously. I had a great day today, then I come home and this hits me like a ton of bricks. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Seriously. I had a great day today, then I come home and this hits me like a ton of bricks. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Same here, honestly. I literally froze where I sat for a few seconds. I felt cold and feverish, I was upset. And I'm still upset...

It IS sudden...

But I'm playing through Pokemon SoulSilver for him. Iwata was the guy that helped the original Gold and Silver happen since he solved the problem of making Kanto fit in them along with Johto. I don't have the original Gold/Silver nor did I ever have one of them, sadly, so this is the best I can do. Besides, you can't have a remake without the originals...

I also named my character Iwata and the rival Sony. :p

You know you need to restart your text editor/computer when you open a new document and its default name is 'Noname97.txt'.

NEW HORIZONS' PLUTO FLYBY IS LESS THAN ONE EARTH-DAY AWAY!!! GET HYPE!!!

*Also, my deepest condolences go out to Nintendo and Mr. Iwata's family

Well said Ark.

I figured I should point out that the latest request in the Review Game is over two weeks old now, meaning that anyone can post a review and be next in line. Read and review one chapter and get one in return!

For the British people here, is there anywhere I can look for common British words and expressions that differ from American English? I have a character of British descent in my story and I figured that making use of those words would be a good way to make his origins clear.

For the British people here, is there anywhere I can look for common British words and expressions that differ from American English? I have a character of British descent in my story and I figured that making use of those words would be a good way to make his origins clear.

Writing in British English is damn difficult if you want to sounds completely authentic (The opposite is also true). Best I can suggest is to get a Brit to beta-read it.

However. Bear in mind that in terms of language there isn't that much difference. There's plenty of bleed-over from American English in everyday British speech, and it's only the crustiest type of hypocrite that tries to avoid it (Since this sort of thing has been going on for the best part of two centuries, "Americanisms" really aren't a new thing). Culturally is a different kettle of fish*. The differences are quite subtle - for example nearly everyone I know owns a kettle, but as I understand it most Americans have a coffee maker.

*kettle being originally a name of a type of pot rather than a specific device for boiling water. Like many old expressions, it's not as bonkers as it appears

In fact, while I think about it, I want to bitch about the kind of British life videos you see on Youtube! I cannot stand them. For all that they purport to give a fun insight into what Britain is really like, they are so aggressively British that you might as well just be watching Downton Abbey (Up yours, Downton Abbey). I swear the presenters put on that bloody Mary Poppins "Oh I say!", Famous Five accent. Never mind the bizarre generalisations ... I saw one where, as I recall, the presenter declared that in most British bathrooms the toilet is in a separate room. What houses does she visit, palaces? Castles? Is she claiming the garderobe is the British standard?

Last edited:

Writing in British English is damn difficult if you want to sounds completely authentic (The opposite is also true). Best I can suggest is to get a Brit to beta-read it.

However. Bear in mind that in terms of language there isn't that much difference. There's plenty of bleed-over from American English in everyday British speech, and it's only the crustiest type of hypocrite that tries to avoid it (Since this sort of thing has been going on for the best part of two centuries, "Americanisms" really aren't a new thing). Culturally is a different kettle of fish*. The differences are quite subtle - for example nearly everyone I know owns a kettle, but as I understand it most Americans have a coffee maker.

*kettle being originally a name of a type of pot rather than a specific device for boiling water. Like many old expressions, it's not as bonkers as it appears

In fact, while I think about it, I want to bitch about the kind of British life videos you see on Youtube! I cannot stand them. For all that they purport to give a fun insight into what Britain is really like, they are so aggressively British that you might as well just be watching Downton Abbey (Up yours, Downton Abbey). I swear the presenters put on that bloody Mary Poppins "Oh I say!", Famous Five accent. Never mind the bizarre generalisations ... I saw one where, as I recall, the presenter declared that in most British bathrooms the toilet is in a separate room. What houses does she visit, palaces? Castles? Is she claiming the garderobe is the British standard?

I'm not aiming to be completely authentic because the character has British origins, but he still was raised in Unova where people speak American English. So he would mostly speak American English but would sometimes use some words and slang that he picked up from exposure to his parents and probably some other relatives; and also have a bit of an accent.

I just wanted to know if there's a good site or something to use for reference for that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom