• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Anyone ever have that issue where the plan for an upcoming chapter looks just a bit sparse? Like there's something missing but damned if you can figure out what

Yeah, I've had that problem a couple of times. Usually when I reach a point when the POV character finishes whatever they're doing too quickly, and there's not any other suitable scene or event to skip to, without something else happening in between. Actually I've got a similar problem right now, come to think of it - Chapter 31 reaches such a clear ending, with the main character escaping from a dangerous situation, but she's still got important stuff to do before I switch POV to another character waking up in the middle of the sea (makes sense in context). I know I'm probably not doing myself any favours by restricting myself to one character's POV per chapter, but that's the way I prefer to read things, so that's probably the way I should be writing it too.

I think you guys are forgetting that Super Training isn't the most efficient method for EVing your Pokemon. It's great for fine-tuning to get those custom spreads, but most of the time you want to Horde Train. xD Anyways, @Lord Kyuubi, I wouldn't reccomend doing the Masuda Method unless you want some good IVs and natures. You can find four wild Swablu faster than hatching eggs, even with the added multiplier of the Masuda Method. My suggestion would be to use hordes; Route 115 has only Swablu in its hordes.

I think you guys are forgetting that Super Training isn't the most efficient method for EVing your Pokemon. It's great for fine-tuning to get those custom spreads, but most of the time you want to Horde Train. xD Anyways, @Lord Kyuubi, I wouldn't reccomend doing the Masuda Method unless you want some good IVs and natures. You can find four wild Swablu faster than hatching eggs, even with the added multiplier of the Masuda Method. My suggestion would be to use hordes; Route 115 has only Swablu in its hordes.

Perhaps not, but it does allow the more casual players to EV-train their Pokémon more easily.

Perhaps not, but it does allow the more casual players to EV-train their Pokémon more easily.

Yeah, I don't know where to find most hordes for EV training, so I use Super Training for its convenience. And because that doesn't make me feel obligated to get Power items. But thanks very much for the tip for finding swablu; I'll try that out. You just need honey or a pokemon with Sweet Scent to attract a horde, right?

Anyone ever have that issue where the plan for an upcoming chapter looks just a bit sparse? Like there's something missing but damned if you can figure out what

Ironic that you mention that now, as I'm writing Chapter 33 and I know pretty much exactly ​what I want to get done in it. I've never really had to take a break from writing because of writer's block in this chapter, something I'm really proud of.

Never got any Pokerus pokemon myself, the luckiest I've got was catching a shiny grimer, gulpin and sigilyph, none of which I'm interested in as pokemon at all. I'm currently hunting for a shiny swablu, since altaria's one of my absolute favourite pokemon, and then I'd have a nice shiny I cared about, but it's not going well so far. I've tried DexNav chaining so far, but it always stops finding swablu before a shiny one comes along. Heh, I was going to try to get a foreign ditto for the Masuda Method, but then I realised I had no idea how to access or use the GTS, never having used it before. That's a point actually, don't suppose anyone here could help out? Anyone here not British, and have a ditto they don't need and wouldn't mind trading to me?

Pokerus can be kinda handy, I think (also, I somehow can't be bothered with supper training and with horde battles and the new Exp Share, 'traditional' training has become rather easy as well)

Fear I can't help you with the Ditto, but did you get the shiny charm yet? Haven't gotten that myself yet either, but supposedly it's quite helpful... Otherwise, just hang in there and keep trying. I had to encounter over 500 ralts to get my shiny ralts and it was absolutely worth it (too bad my save data got corrupted two weeks ago by accident, forcing me to start all over. at least the universe took pity on me because I encountered another shiny ralts by accident, so this time I only had to encounter about 15. I was looking for a plain ralts with good IV's)

Actually, wouldn't it be easier to maybe ask on the trade station? Or maybe not even a Ditto? I dunno how much you care about IV's, but with decent or good female swablu and any compatible father, it should work right?

Hey, any of you guys noticed the practically day-long shutdown that just happened? I asked about it on the Facebook page, and they said that apparently, there was so much spam that the site couldn't run properly. They also said most of it is coming from India, so I think we may have called tech support one too many times.

nothing_fucking_works_by_jimmylethal-d95txid.png

The spam has been happening for quite some time now: it seems that yesterday was a step too far. Rest assured us moderators are doing the best we can.

BTW, the Review Game still hasn't moved along and it has been nearly two months now! I have seen plenty of people out there recently offering review exchanges and asking for feedback - this is the perfect opportunity to do that! If someone does a review in the next 48 hours, I will reciprocate with my own review of whatever story you want - just someone move this along.

Last edited:
argh, maybe i can find the time to help it move along tomorrow. I'm so late in posting a new chapter, and the sad part is that I finished writing it a month ago and just need to edit it, which would only take me 30 minutes or so. I've been lacking motivation so much lately that I haven't even been thinking about writing much. If I can find the time, perhaps I can get it done tomorrow.

Probably not, though. ._. Gah, my attitude is too pessimistic.

The spam has been happening for quite some time now: it seems that yesterday was a step too far. Rest assured us moderators are doing the best we can.

BTW, the Review Game still hasn't moved along and it has been nearly two months now! I have seen plenty of people out there recently offering review exchanges and asking for feedback - this is the perfect opportunity to do that! If someone does a review in the next 48 hours, I will reciprocate with my own review of whatever story you want - just someone move this along.

I have every intention of reading that story and leaving a review or five. I caught the prologue the other day, I just have not had the time at all to sit down and read, not without sacrificing needed sleep and putting my shipboard work at risk.

Fear I can't help you with the Ditto, but did you get the shiny charm yet? Haven't gotten that myself yet either, but supposedly it's quite helpful... Otherwise, just hang in there and keep trying. I had to encounter over 500 ralts to get my shiny ralts and it was absolutely worth it (too bad my save data got corrupted two weeks ago by accident, forcing me to start all over. at least the universe took pity on me because I encountered another shiny ralts by accident, so this time I only had to encounter about 15. I was looking for a plain ralts with good IV's)

No, I don't have the shiny charm. Don't you have to catch everything to get it, though - I can't really see how that's at really possible, considering no game has every pokemon in it anymore. Sure, you can get one or two of the other generation pokemon in mirage spots, but I don't see how you go about catching everything. I guess by trading stuff, probably.

Actually, wouldn't it be easier to maybe ask on the trade station? Or maybe not even a Ditto? I dunno how much you care about IV's, but with decent or good female swablu and any compatible father, it should work right?

It may well be easier, if I knew what that was or how to work it. The number of times I've used online communications in a pokemon game can be counted on one hand. Not necessarily one with any fingers attached, either.

I'm not hugely bothered about IVs or nature; if I get a shiny I like, I'll probably use it regardless. It would definitely be nice to have good IVs and at least a non-detrimental nature, but it's by no means a deal-breaker. Won't make altaria any less cute.

No, I don't have the shiny charm. Don't you have to catch everything to get it, though - I can't really see how that's at really possible, considering no game has every pokemon in it anymore. Sure, you can get one or two of the other generation pokemon in mirage spots, but I don't see how you go about catching everything. I guess by trading stuff, probably.

It may well be easier, if I knew what that was or how to work it. The number of times I've used online communications in a pokemon game can be counted on one hand. Not necessarily one with any fingers attached, either.

I'm not hugely bothered about IVs or nature; if I get a shiny I like, I'll probably use it regardless. It would definitely be nice to have good IVs and at least a non-detrimental nature, but it's by no means a deal-breaker. Won't make altaria any less cute.

If you're just concerned about nature, then doing the horde method with a Pokémon that has Synchronize as its ability may work. It has a 50% chance of transferring that nature to the wild Pokémon. Also, Altaria is just SO FLUFFY!!! <3

Guys, I...I'm afraid I won't be writing anything anytime soon...

My brother...he..he killed himself last night. I was the one that found his body. All that blood...I'm too messed up right now and I don't have my laptop with me anyway...

Just...why..?

I'm definitely trying to...

I give my condolences and well-wishes to you and your family. Just remember that you aren't alone, even when you come to think that. You might not know me but I just want to let you know that, should you require a private ear, separate from your circle of friends, I'd be happy to provide one. I know the feeling of familiar suicide, though not as close as siblings, and how a person might not want to talk about it with people they know. If you need to vent, talk or cry, don't hesitate as that's what will help you heal.

Oh my god. I can't even imagine how terrible it must be to have someone close to you commit suicide, much less be the one to find the body.

But yeah, don't try to bottle up everything like Instrutilus said, find someone you feel comfortable to talk about it and let it all out, bottling up everything is just going to make you feel worse and worse.

Sorry for not replying sooner, guys, I didn't have my laptop yet (I had to leave it behind at the house), and it's harder to type on my phone. But thanks so much, and I saw your PM, Beth, just like I said, I wanted to wait until I got my laptop to reply to it.

Back
Top Bottom