• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Although this unspeakable reality should not be mentioned...

Sort the Fairground by most views. You are far from alone.

I just looked at that and... wow...

It reminds me: back in the day, one of my friends told me that shipping fics got the most views on FF.net. I didn't believe them, so I wrote a shitty shipping fic to see if it would do better than Red vs Leaf. It was the first time I had ever gotten several hundred views in one day, and it is still my third most view story on FF.

I never knew about it until now. I don't want to come across as mean, but the fact a one page story has almost 150,000 more views than the two 100+ chapters ranked below it is astonishing.

Sorry to burst your bubble Jimmy, but Legacy had a pretty explicit Ash/Dawn dream sequence in the first version of The Power Inside (which was called something else I can't recall).

Sorry to burst your bubble Jimmy, but Legacy had a pretty explicit Ash/Dawn dream sequence in the first version of The Power Inside (which was called something else I can't recall).

Oh. Alrighty, then. ​Hot.

I don't really understand it, to be honest. Especially given that the characters in most shippy fics might as well be silhouettes with "CHARACTER X" taped on to them, since they bear only a vague resemblance to the canon characters they're supposed to be. I can sort of see why you might want to read about your favourite two characters getting together, but when they're little more than a name and an outfit on the page, what's the bloody point

I don't think I've ever written something that was pure shipping. Sure, there are things like The More I See and Save Me that use their respective ships as a plot point, but they're more focused on showcasing one of Flannery's breakdowns in detail and the characters' vulnerability, if anything.

My disdain for shipping is probably why the one romance scene in Storm Island, while apparently very well written, fell utterly flat; I didn't take the time to build it up because I don't get all gooey. It seems like such a forced thing in a lot of circumstances, and I practically roll my eyes so far into the back of my head they break off whenever I see 'the guy gets the girl in the end and they kiss' in the movies.

Maybe I should work on that, cause that's probably why I'm such a miserable, lonely shrivelled hag.

I feel like one of the reasons my last fic didn't work out is because I was anxious about falling into the pitfalls of a very common genre. because of that, I felt like I needed to go through the motions as quickly as possible before getting to the stuff that would be more interesting.

I had another idea for a story to write, one that could probably flow more organically because it wouldn't be a journey fic (and thus I wouldn't have to deal with going through the motions of a journey fic.) This one would be a story about a new student at a technical university in Opelucid City striving for social acceptance.

In other words, he wishes that he could be like the cool kids. 'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

And while many journey fics are about people who grow to become great Pokemon trainers, this guy is one of the "losers." On top of simply being outclassed by better trainers, something went wrong and forced him to return home early. With an incomplete badge case, a stunted team, and a long track record of failing to be one of the cool kids, he's pretty damn nervous on his first day. It'd be more of a slice-of-life kind of fic about self-discovery, although I could think of a larger-scale conflict that would follow the initial story arc.

Sticking to the subject of shipping, do people find writing not sex scenes but just romantic relationships in stories easy or difficult? I have for the most part avoided them, asides from the love triangle in Galactic. I feel like so many movies/TV shows rely on this type of stuff but I always do my best not to include it.

I feel like one of the reasons my last fic didn't work out is because I was anxious about falling into the pitfalls of a very common genre. because of that, I felt like I needed to go through the motions as quickly as possible before getting to the stuff that would be more interesting.

I had another idea for a story to write, one that could probably flow more organically because it wouldn't be a journey fic (and thus I wouldn't have to deal with going through the motions of a journey fic.) This one would be a story about a new student at a technical university in Opelucid City striving for social acceptance.

In other words, he wishes that he could be like the cool kids. 'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

And while many journey fics are about people who grow to become great Pokemon trainers, this guy is one of the "losers." On top of simply being outclassed by better trainers, something went wrong and forced him to return home early. With an incomplete badge case, a stunted team, and a long track record of failing to be one of the cool kids, he's pretty damn nervous on his first day. It'd be more of a slice-of-life kind of fic about self-discovery, although I could think of a larger-scale conflict that would follow the initial story arc.

I haven't read many stories about someone who failed their quest and came home, so it could be interesting if handled well. I wouldn't force a large-scale conflict in unless you can truly handle it.

Sticking to the subject of shipping, do people find writing not sex scenes but just romantic relationships in stories easy or difficult? I have for the most part avoided them, asides from the love triangle in Galactic. I feel like so many movies/TV shows rely on this type of stuff but I always do my best not to include it.

Hard to say. I've got a high bar for verisimilitude myself, so I suspect it would be hard for me to do, especially in the way that fanfic conventionally deals with the subject. There's nothing worse than a romantic subplot that's obviously just been arbitrarily tacked on - yes I am looking at you, Peter Jackson. And in a sense I think fanfic authors try to take shortcuts all too easily. I've already complained somewhere about shipping names serving as a substitute for summary, but there's also a point to b made that the more "pairings" you try to cram into a story, the less screen time each gets and the less convincing they're all going to be

Back
Top Bottom