• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

The penultimate chapter of One Big Conspiracy is easily the longest thing I've written. It went... sixteen pages in Google Docs, I think? Not even any of my one-shots have matched that, and I'm even having trouble progressing the one I'm writing now. That or I'm just lazy.

One 'chapter' of Galactic is about 50 pages I think? The Princess of Darkness is over 42,000 words according to FF.net. It may be the only one to hit 50 but a few others have come close.

Generally, my chapters tend to be around the 3000 word mark, which seems reasonable enough to me. Though I'm not generally so good at finding stuff to write, so they probably could stand to be a lot longer than that. But anyway, my longest chapter is definitely Chapter 32, which I thought I'd finished a while ago at about 5000-6000 words, but then I tagged a little bit, originally intended to be the start of the next chapter, on the end because I wanted to change perspective for Chapter 33. Which is coming along sort of okay, so far.

So about this flooding, how bad is it?

Oh yeah, word count. That's my usual metric (since I don't have page counts in my notepad), and I'm wondering why I forgot about it. 5300 words so far, without having worked on it since my last post.

I like to keep chapters between 3- and 6,000 words, if I can. I keep running word counts of each chapter, and sometimes of the arc as a whole, since I very quickly lose sight of the pacing otherwise. It's not a perfect system, since a word count can't tell you how pacey the chapter feels, but it's good enough to plan on

Most Vaira chapters are 6000 words, give or take 500. I've found that anything longer is simply too long and that length is enough to advance one plotline a lot or slowly advance all of them.

Er, I have a supporting document with 94,077 words (and counting) for a barely complete fic. I guess that counts!

Fun fact: I am not dead! But I should be studying!

My chapters tend to be around 5,000 words long nowadays. They were a lot shorter in my older fic (like, usually between 1,500 and 2,500 words), but that was mostly because I'd start a new chapter whenever the POV changed.

For clarities sake, most chapters of Eight Easy Steps are generally around 4000 words, though they get longer during gym battles and other fight sequences. I'm not sure how long the longest action-free chapter is. Dawn of Darkness is about 4000 on average as well.

For word counts, most of my one-shots hover between 3,500-5,000 words, while OBC's chapters got longer as the story progressed. If I had to remember, I think the penultimate chapter is somewhere around 8,500 words.

My chapters tend to be around 5,000 words long nowadays. They were a lot shorter in my older fic (like, usually between 1,500 and 2,500 words), but that was mostly because I'd start a new chapter whenever the POV changed.

Yeah, I always stick to one POV per chapter, and it is sometimes a hindrance. There always needs to be enough sufficiently relevant, non-filler material to justify using a particular character's POV, and sometimes there's something else more important happening elsewhere that you can't switch to because of being stuck in a particular POV. But still, it's the method I prefer, not that it exactly makes things easier for myself. But yeah, I find I'd probably get carried away and flit around too much between different POVs and events if I didn't have to stick to one per chapter, which isn't a style I'm personally keen on. I guess it works, but yeah, it's not my thing.

5000 to 6000 words in one of the chapters in my story is as far, nearly 20 pages.

Long time no hear folks. I unfortunately didn't get the job I talked about, but I'm now instead working as an intern at a local webshop as a webmaster for the time being (local as in quite far out in the countryside, believe it or not), which is why I haven't been very active.

Silly question time, but I need a bit of help deciding on some things unrelated to any writing projects. What colors are the houses/apartments you live in? I need siding colors, trim/corner colors and door colors, mostly. I'm doing some designs and the color choices I'm making don't look right.

A sort of pale, clay like brown with white trimmings. Basically white with various shades of brown. And then they decided to paint one bathroom green, cause yolo I guess.

Young brick-red, with a band of yellow running across the top of the door and windows on the ground floor. Yellow brick buttresses supporting the slight overhang of the roof. Next door - old, browner brick, white guttering and framing of the windows and doors

Let's see, yellow brick walls, red doors and windows, pre-cast concrete roof. Now that I think about it, it stands out quite a lot compared to the other houses in the neighborhood, which are mostly white.

Mmk, so brown seems to be a common color so far. *takes notes*

Let's see, yellow brick walls, red doors and windows, pre-cast concrete roof. Now that I think about it, it stands out quite a lot compared to the other houses in the neighborhood, which are mostly white.
Wow, that is certainly unique. I don't think I've ever seen yellow bricks before, painted or otherwise. I hope it's not bright yellow and bright red, cause I think I'd go mad living in something like that.

Mmk, so brown seems to be a common color so far. *takes notes*

Wow, that is certainly unique. I don't think I've ever seen yellow bricks before, painted or otherwise. I hope it's not bright yellow and bright red, cause I think I'd go mad living in something like that.

It's more dark red than bright red, but hey, after living there for over 10 years, you get used to it :)

Back
Top Bottom