• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I know it is a month until we really need to start thinking about it, but the Winter Awards are coming soon! Is anyone looking at their work yet and wondering what they might enter or might want to update before it kicks off?

I think I'm sticking with my tried and true strategy of only updating once per award cycle. I need to maximize my entries if I want to keep up my streak of having the losing-est story in the Fairgrounds.

Honestly I'm more preoccupied with getting rewrites done so that I can maybe actually one day break my streak of having the losing-est story in the Fairgrounds.

I think I'm sticking with my tried and true strategy of only updating once per award cycle. I need to maximize my entries if I want to keep up my streak of having the losing-est story in the Fairgrounds.

Honestly I'm more preoccupied with getting rewrites done so that I can maybe actually one day break my streak of having the losing-est story in the Fairgrounds.

I think Galactic might beat you to that award - you've at least won Best Character. Galactic has fuck all :p

Not really for the awards or anything, but I'm definitely thinking about trying to write something at least partially new. My main story just keeps stalling - every time I manage to get a decent amount written, I just go until the next roadblock, and get stuck on that one scene for days or weeks on end. Which isn't fun.

So yeah, not sure what to write now. I might redo that one-shot spinoff story I originally wrote after finishing my first draft, since that's there and needs doing. Really, what I need is probably just something to put in some practice and hopefully freshen up a bit so I can get back to my main story and actually do something. Maybe I'll actually consider uploading this one, if it goes well. But I won't count on it. Either way, it'd be unlikely to be on time for the awards, not that that'd matter anyway.

Anyway, I'm going to write something now, hopefully.

Awards are coming and I don't think I've published a single chapter (well, apart from those two boring ones for Union City Angels) since the last ones. At the current rate of production I might have half of one done in time?

I might have a proper Vaira chapter published in time, but it's going to cut it close. I might have to sit this one out, I'm afraid.

I'd LIKE to have another Stainless Steel chapter out by then, but we'll see. :p

I've published a kind of mini chapter so far, but another is well underway, with plenty more content ready to finalize. Once December hits, I'll be writing like a maniac.

Okay, so I've been working on a few ideas for something I could write in the meantime. Most likely, it won't get uploaded, but since you guys know about these things, I thought I'd ask your opinions anyway.

So yes, do you think a one-shot story about some pokemon finishing their training, and then being suddenly given a very nasty and decidedly competitive final assessment could work? Probably haven't given you much to go on there, but that's the basic principle I'm working on for now.

Okay, so I've been working on a few ideas for something I could write in the meantime. Most likely, it won't get uploaded, but since you guys know about these things, I thought I'd ask your opinions anyway.

So yes, do you think a one-shot story about some pokemon finishing their training, and then being suddenly given a very nasty and decidedly competitive final assessment could work? Probably haven't given you much to go on there, but that's the basic principle I'm working on for now.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but maybe something part of a longer comedy series than just a one off. Idk, that's my first impression.

Does anyone else find that when they try and force themselves to write something, the quality of their writing is different compared to when the creativity is naturally flowing? I'm experiencing that a lot with this latest 8ES chapter and I'm hoping I'm not so terrible that this is only me.

Does anyone else find that when they try and force themselves to write something, the quality of their writing is different compared to when the creativity is naturally flowing? I'm experiencing that a lot with this latest 8ES chapter and I'm hoping I'm not so terrible that this is only me.

I tend to have the opposite feeling - paranoid that my writing has slipped in quality when it seems to be coming easily. At this point I'm beginning to think I thrive on bullying and doubting myself

I tend to have the opposite feeling - paranoid that my writing has slipped in quality when it seems to be coming easily. At this point I'm beginning to think I thrive on bullying and doubting myself

I agree that sometimes the stuff I write quite quickly I'll then read later and roll my eyes at. But I find that when I get a sort of creative buzz, I get the jist of what I want down and then editing I can nitpick and make reasonably better. If I try and write something whimsical and descriptive or meaningful and I'm just forcing myself to do so, it comes out harder and feels much more hollow. Kind of like I'm constipated.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but maybe something part of a longer comedy series than just a one off. Idk, that's my first impression.

That's definitely an interesting thought, yeah. I could try something like that, if I can come up with some more ideas. Hmm, we'll see. Thanks.

Generally, when I try to force myself to write something, usually I just don't get anywhere at all. I'm really far too reliant on getting moments of good creativity. Sometimes I can force myself to write just a bit, and then that inspires more creativity, but more often trying to force writing doesn't get me anywhere other than a few lines at best. Which isn't great.

I dunno, I find I actually write better things if I'm under some kind of pressure.

Like, the crossover battle I just worked on: somehow the fact that I was under an obligation spurred me on to write, to go through my creative process very efficiently and succinctly. Whereas if I'm just writing whatever under no sort of pressure at all, it takes a very long time for me to commit to something and run with it. And bizarrely, it's the times I've been writing 'under pressure' that have produced some of my best work.

I'm pretty sure it's somehow related to my old academic procrastination habit. It's actually very strange: with two comparable assignments I had at one point, I procrastinated right up until the day before one was due, and with the other I paced out my work responsibly like I was supposed to. I got significantly better marks on my super-procrastinated assignment than the assignment I was 'responsible' and 'smart' with. What the heck is up with that?

I think that some of my best work has come from being naturally in the mood to write. That said, writing that exists is infinitely better than writing that doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure it's somehow related to my old academic procrastination habit. It's actually very strange: with two comparable assignments I had at one point, I procrastinated right up until the day before one was due, and with the other I paced out my work responsibly like I was supposed to. I got significantly better marks on my super-procrastinated assignment than the assignment I was 'responsible' and 'smart' with. What the heck is up with that?

I've encountered this, too. The only time a professor has ever pulled me aside and complimented my work was last year in a history class when I wrote the final essay start to finish four hours before it was due. It's the closest I've ever cut a deadline (and still managed to actually finish) and also one of a rare few compliments I've actually been proud to receive.There's something to be said for rigorous, last-minute self discipline.

I guess a deadline could probably do me good, otherwise, yeah, I do slip into procrastination. Whether I'll just do that anyway or not remains to be seen. Ah well, let's just see how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom