• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Probably because it's easier to become part of the community. I feel like I can get closer to people here than on Serebii.

I get flagged almost every time I post on Serebii. Like, some of it was understandable, and it was on me; but then when I tell an innocent joke, or give my opinion on something, I'm either flagged for flaming, or lack of depth in my comment.

But there was this one flag I felt particularly proud of: there was this one thread called "things you hate and/or would like authors to avoid", and it's pretty self-explanatory. Everything was going along nicely, until I mentioned, "Sonic OCs". From then on, I practically derailed the entire thread into a circlejerk of Sonic OC (or bad OCs in general) hate. I got flagged, and the thread was closed.

I'm telling ya, people on Serebii get trolled too easily; I can cite quotations from Encyclopedia Dramatica, and the entire site would close.

Last edited:
This is a general chat thread - of course you're not going to get flagged here. If you were to do the same stuff in our other threads - where there are authors that post in every thread besides this one, probably because not much is seriously discussed here for longer than a few posts - then you might be flagged as well. When you're clogging up threads where authors are intentionally looking for help or ideas, it gets tiresome to sift through the nonsense and ultimately the thread becomes useless. On a site like Serebii that relies on new threads being made to stay active, that also means you're discouraging posters from making threads if their questions or discussions aren't going to be considered.

Serebii doesn't have a general chat thread, so it looks like it's harder to fit in. If you want to be part of the community, I'd suggest starting by messaging the mod JX Valentine to join the Saturday word wars on skype. If you don't have skype, VM members, even if you've never talked to them before. Most - if not all - the fanfic authors there will respond to you and discuss at length with you about your stories or ideas, even if they haven't read your stories yet. There are also a lot of Mibbit chats going around, but I don't know the details of those as much. Tumblr discussions are becoming more common as well.

Serebii and Bulba attract very different kinds of people. Most authors just tend to drift to one forum or the other in the end anyway, but as a member pretty involved in both forums, I hate to see that happen. Very different kinds of people = very different viewpoints for your stories = more ideas and perspectives considered = a more thought out, well-rounded piece of writing.

I'm not trying to say I hate Serebii, I'm a member of the site, also. What I'm trying to say is, sometimes, it can be a lot stricter than here.

A double post, I know, but it is a new topic. Anyone ever come across something that's mysteriously difficult to research? It's amazing how difficult and frustrating it is to try and find some raw material to invent some authentic feminine nastiness from. It almost seems like every girl simultaneously knows what "bitchy" behaviour is but none actually explain it in terms of concrete examples

A double post, I know, but it is a new topic. Anyone ever come across something that's mysteriously difficult to research? It's amazing how difficult and frustrating it is to try and find some raw material to invent some authentic feminine nastiness from. It almost seems like every girl simultaneously knows what "bitchy" behaviour is but none actually explain it in terms of concrete examples

I think it's because there can be different "bitchy" behaviors. It's sort of like a "to each their own" situation.

It can be difficult to judge what exactly is 'bitchy', as it really depends on the person. If you want examples, most my friends at high school were girls. Most of the things they thought were bitchy mostly involved people saying things either behind their backs or saying something offensive in front of a lot of people, or backing out on promises and such.

Does anyone know a good place that summarises and can explain to me about the Kalos War / Infinity Energy / the multiverse theory and all that jazz? Bulbapedia doesn't really dive into the 3000 war from what I can see.

Does anyone know a good place that summarises and can explain to me about the Kalos War / Infinity Energy / the multiverse theory and all that jazz? Bulbapedia doesn't really dive into the 3000 war from what I can see.

I don't think even the games delve deep into those subjects, so I don't think anyone really knows. The best I can advise is to make the details up. It's fair game.

Yeah, I will probably adapt and work things into my world. I just was curious as to what the specifics in this world were. As you said, it seems the 'Kalos War' is just a vague war, and the multiverse is just a theory from the sounds of things. I've got my own multiversal stuff going on so that'll be easy enough to work in :p

There really isn't a whole lot of concrete official material about that, which I actually find really intriguing and appealing from a fanfic writing standpoint. I've actually developed a number of really interesting ideas to go with this that I'd like to explore myself a little ways down the road. If you'd like to bounce ideas around, feel free to shoot a PM my way.

It's amazing how difficult and frustrating it is to try and find some raw material to invent some authentic feminine nastiness from. It almost seems like every girl simultaneously knows what "bitchy" behaviour is but none actually explain it in terms of concrete examples
I'll get Caitlin on the case. She's an expert at being a catty bitch.

I9IcLt0.jpg

Hmm, recently i discovered the cartoon used to called Super 3 in Japan, which Hanna & Barabara called it The Impossibles. It kinda remind of how the Powerpuff Girls in Japan called PPGZ. So here's the thing, I want to call it The ImpossibleZ (Basically replace the S) just like PPGZ. I'm not sure if it's a good title for the fanfic but let just see.

Other than that, how are you guys? Are you watching the Super Bowl 50?

What exactly do you mean?

Man, I'm feeling lazy today. Like, so lazy it physically hurts. Does anyone else feel like that sometimes?
It happened ti me all the time. Though it doesn't hurt to get lazy once in a while, but getting lazy too often does.

Are you watching the Super Bowl 50?

Surely you jest

What exactly do you mean?

Well, nearly everything I find makes vague comments about bitchiness and lists things like social isolation, name calling etc etc ... I can find almost nothing that gives any actual examples, much less an explanation of how it becomes so upsetting.

Well, nearly everything I find makes vague comments about bitchiness and lists things like social isolation, name calling etc etc ... I can find almost nothing that gives any actual examples, much less an explanation of how it becomes so upsetting.
I think it is something that you have to have experienced rather than necessarily just research. You could maybe find documentaries on YouTube or something about anti-bullying, otherwise you'd have to draw from your own experience of being bullied, if you ever have been. Girls being bitchy/mean to other girls is essentially just bullying, and any effects would vary from person to person. I would happily talk to you more about this in PM to share experiences from my friends.

(Also, if you are going to discuss this from a writing POV, best to do it in the GWQ ;) )

I know I've answered you in that regard a few times, but that was a while ago. Now I would say this: "masculine" behavior plays a very large part when it comes to females competing with each other. A lot of what females do to each other helps them to feel like they have power over the other, for example - a trait that sounds awfully "masculine" in the traditional sense of the word. Also, I used the word "competing" - another thing that's generally used to describe male behavior. You're not finding specific examples because there are none. If you're not a person who's been involved with drama involving large groups of people, then yes, you'll probably have a hard time understanding what goes on, because it involves various kinds of mindsets that all conflict with each other. But ultimately, it has nothing to do with being male or female.

Basically, you can think up any scenario you want and apply basic psychology. It will work.

Back
Top Bottom