• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

It is quite nostalgic seeing The Power Inside and Misheard Lisper around. (Geddit? Misheard...?)

I swear, if TPI counts as an Expansion Fic I might as well just give up now! :p

B-but I was collecting badges and everything. ;;

badgecasespring2012.png

Also, whoops. That does sound like me. :S

Yes, those count. The one you shared in the earlier post doesn't.

They belong in a museum!
Technically they do :p

I just went and had a look at the old Hall of Fame and I forgot how many fucking awards we used to have. Some of those categories were so vague and random, it was almost like Oprah "You get an award, you get an award, EVERYBODY GETS AN AWARD!!!"
I remember being so against the changeover when it happened, but after five years, it really was for the best. I don't think we've had a crossover or crackfic on this site for years.

I am happy to look into introducing them as a fun voting, discussion thing while the judging is taking place, but we wouldn't be making them banner or badge worthy ones. I think we have enough categories across a nice range to cover a lot of elements, I wouldn't want to dilute things further.

How about a 'Best Description' award, that's voted on like Best Story/Best Character? I can't imagine too much extra faff would be involved, and it'd give writers something else to work on if they feel that particular aspect of their work is lacking.

How about a 'Best Description' award, that's voted on like Best Story/Best Character? I can't imagine too much extra faff would be involved, and it'd give writers something else to work on if they feel that particular aspect of their work is lacking.
Best Story/Character comes through the winners of each individual category then being pitted against each other. Like I said, I am open to extra voting, non-rewarded categories, but we won't be upping the number of official awards any time soon.

Fewer categories that allow for more competition is better. Though I always saw some merit in little awards for odd elements of a fic - best scene style things. I seem to recall they make up the meat of the Serebii awards

That is true. Serebii is still in its nomination phase of their Awards, and they almost have every category you can think of.

Too bad my story wasn't nominated for any of it. Dangit. :cry:

Hmm, let's see ...

Most Annoying Tease
Silliest Joke
Most Slappable Character
Most Huggable Character
Most Scrumptious Food Description

I could probably think of more xD
Now you're just listing things that you're the clear winner of. Except maybe...

Silliest Joke

Andrea insisted they stay put and wait for the fog to clear... ...As they fumbled about in the fog and the darkness, a peculiar sound, similar to howling but not quite the same, echoed across the cliff side. It came closer and closer at first, then sounded as if it were fading into the distance.

"Do you hear that?" Andrea asked. "What do you think it is?"

"I haven't the foggiest," Kimberly started, then realized what she had just said. "Oh dear. I apologize."

I guess now is the time to make note that Caitlin may or may not be contributing in a major way to an upcoming chapter of Storm Island.
You heard it here, folks, three sentences in a span of two weeks is contributing!

Speaking as a former judge (can I go ahead and admit I didn't particularly like that part of being a moderator?), we really don't need more awards to consider. Behind the scenes is a mess as it is and throwing more work on top isn't the answer.

Hmm, let's see ...

Most Annoying Tease
Silliest Joke
Most Slappable Character
Most Huggable Character
Most Scrumptious Food Description

I could probably think of more xD
Is that a challenge? Because it feels like a challenge.

Worst Character
Worst Prose
Worst Romantic Relationship

Come on, guys, let's host our own Razzies! Let's acknowledge those who at least tried!

The Mary Sue Award for Most Bullshit OP Main Character
The Deus Ex Award for Biggest Asspull
The Christopher Paolini Award for Purplest Prose

Eh? Eh?

Gramer Nahtzee Aword 4 Wurst Spelling
My Immortal Award For Worst Plot
Uwe Boll Award For Most Boring Story
Stanley Kubrick Award For Most Artistic Licenses In a Story

Last edited:
Perhaps there could be a pseudo-awards in-between the Summer and Winter ones where there's only fun categories? The pseudo part being that there's no judging and banners, just user voting and bragging rights as the prize.

The idea does sound like a lot of fun to me.

Back
Top Bottom