• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I honestly really enjoyed 3.0, but yeah. It does kind of mess up everything we thought we knew lol.

I think we can all agree 3.5 is superior to 4.0, but that's why we have Pathfinder. I haven't tried 5E yet, but I hear it's great.

3.33 had strong points that it did really well, I thought, but there were some problems with it, of course. My thoughts on the Rebuilds at this point is that they're like a fun roller coaster you're forever stuck on. Sure, it's okay the first few turns on it, then you just want it to end all ready.

Also, trying to keep up with the release(s) and stuff also acts as an emotional roller coaster. A hundred year curse to the bastard-genius Anno.

Sorry to interrupt with boring mod business, but we have a new thread I want to draw your attention to.

The Plot Bunny Zoo is a revived version of a popular thread we used to have, where you can come and share your ideas for plots and whatnot and maybe help refine the finer details. We just saw a lot of people recently sharing ideas and they either got ignored or diverted the conversation, so we are giving plot ideas their own home where people can share and discuss them. The General Writing Questions still exists, which can be used more for vaguer issues or queries about the writing process (i.e. the interesting discussion the other week about writing LGBT characters).

On another note, there has been a lot of subtle advertising of people's works recently. If you have a new chapter published, you can announce it in the Fanfic Announcement Thread, and only there. From now on we will be firmer with people who post saying their chapter will be posted later on: advertise it once its up, not before.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled chatting.

5E is good, but I feel like Pathfinder is still more true to the game's roots. 5E very much feels like the 'updated' edition that it is, and it loses some of its classic lustre in the process.

I think we can all agree 3.5 is superior to 4.0, but that's why we have Pathfinder. I haven't tried 5E yet, but I hear it's great.

5th ed is amazeballs. It took everything that was good about 3.5 and 4th ed, then trimmed the fat WAY down and streamlined it all into something that didn't require a PhD and a magnifying glass just for the front page of the character sheet.

5E is good, but I feel like Pathfinder is still more true to the game's roots. 5E very much feels like the 'updated' edition that it is, and it loses some of its classic lustre in the process.

I liked Pathfinder back when I played it, but honestly since I've moved to 5th ed I haven't looked back. Of course, that could be because I had a pretty rotten falling out with my old group...

The plague of constant low rolling is what made me aware that weighted D20s are in fact a real thing, and whatever sick DM uses them deserves to burn.

As a very general rule, I tend to maintain that if a game can manage without or with less dice-rolling, it nearly always will be better that way.

It depends to a great extent on what kind of GM and players you have. To my mind there's nothing worse than a roleplaying group that plays like they're playing an MMO - since inevitably they play to the rules, not the character. And tend to assume that the story just appears out of nowhere, fully developed, as if the GM doesn't spend the week before the game preparing.

When it comes to the combats, the worst ones are always those where it ends up becoming hours of rolling the same dice and hoping to get a high enough number to chip whatever monster it is down a few more hit points. And it's that kind of fight that the D+D system encourages. Compare, oh, I don't know, WH40K roleplay. Not the best system in the world, but you get a lot more tricks and ideas to play with that aren't just extra numbers added to the dice roll.

My current favourite system is a generic fantasy one, and I wish I could remember what the hell it was called. The rules pretty much fit onto ten A4 pages. The whole thing was very much narrative-driven, few dice rolls, small equipment lists, narrative-driven XP system (None of that XP from kills rubbish). Which is great when you have a GM and players prepared to really get into that

My first real D&D group was minimal rolls. The only rolling we did in combat was to check if we hit or miss; how much damage we did was based on how well we described what happened, punished if we just copied a previous description from that night. The rest of the rules were pretty much the same. It made combat a bit quicker and definitely a lot more interesting.

Cracked has been nonsense for years now. Even back when they were good, it was more for entertainment than edification.

Back
Top Bottom