• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

In the GVerse, my idea is that Kadabra/Alakazam are so powerful that they need an object to channel their Psychic energy through, and over the centuries it has become a spoon that they choose to use (being a generally non threatening thing to hold). Not a great idea, but I had to come up with something :p

In the GVerse, my idea is that Kadabra/Alakazam are so powerful that they need an object to channel their Psychic energy through, and over the centuries it has become a spoon that they choose to use (being a generally non threatening thing to hold). Not a great idea, but I had to come up with something :p
That makes sense, actually. And if they lose their spoon it acts as a "limiter removal?"

(also explains why Mega Alakazam has so many)

That makes sense, actually. And if they lose their spoon it acts as a "limiter removal?"

(also explains why Mega Alakazam has so many)
Basically: if they don't hold the spoon, their power is more wild and uncontrolled, objects just float around them without them doing so on purpose. The spoons also come through humans interfering with their natural cycles and forcing them to evolve before they learn how to control their powers.

If I were to explain it, I think I'd explain it as Kadabra and Alakazam stealing spoons to save the effort of carving their own from wood or stone, whatever. This would be reasonably consistent with real tool-using creatures. Certain crow species actually pass down differing designs of grub-hook in different populations. And few animals will expend more effort than they need to, if they're bright enough to realise that some other species is prepared to do the hard work for them

If I were to explain it, I think I'd explain it as Kadabra and Alakazam stealing spoons to save the effort of carving their own from wood or stone, whatever. This would be reasonably consistent with real tool-using creatures. Certain crow species actually pass down differing designs of grub-hook in different populations. And few animals will expend more effort than they need to, if they're bright enough to realise that some other species is prepared to do the hard work for them
IQ of 5000, I'd say that's bright enough.

I did actually have an idea for a Kadabra that stole a spoon from a museum dedicated to a Titanic-like shipwreck, and the characters would have to retrieve it. But then I realized just how god damn stupid that would be.

I did actually have an idea for a Kadabra that stole a spoon from a museum dedicated to a Titanic-like shipwreck, and the characters would have to retrieve it. But then I realized just how god damn stupid that would be.
Eh. Could work as a show-within-a-show type deal that the characters in a story enjoy watching.

Well, I once had an idea for a short story involving an underused Pokémon. I just never got around to really writing it, so here's a loose description of the plot:

It's viewed through the naïve perspective of a girl named Ellen who lives in the Sevii Islands. On a particularly balmy day, she meets an eccentric stranger (in a yellow pinstripe dress suit, no less) who invites her to travel around the Sevii Islands. She eagerly agrees, as her father is away most of the time, making her lonely.

They travel a lot and they both have a great time. Ellen is the happiest she's been in years. But she eventually notices that the sun never sets: it had been an endless day with no other humans or Pokémon in sight. This bothers her.

As the story goes on, she notices more peculiarities within the Islands' surroundings. The stranger, who had introduced himself as "Mister Phony," begins to get more energetic. Ellen weakens. Night begins to fall. Ellen collapses.

Mister Phony realizes he's done something horrible. Ellen, sluggish and slowly being drained of all her energy, listens to him start to explain the truth. He says he made this all for her.

Before he can explain any further, something shatters the illusion and knocks him away into the underbrush. Ellen sees an older boy and a Charizard streaming flames where Mister Phony landed. She can't see him. The boy sends the Charizard off after him and attends to Ellen.

She realizes she's being rescued. She tells the boy that she wasn't in danger at all and starts crying. She says that Mister Phony wasn't hurting anyone. The boy says that thing was a Pokémon using Dream Eater on her. She had been hypnotized and led away and the whole island was panicking. She has no idea what kind of Pokémon would have wanted to do that to her. She tells him that she often went into the forest to collect berries and whatnot but never felt in danger.

She writes down his name in the dirt and stares at the letters. After some time, she rearranges "Phony" into a new word . . . "Hypno."

They're both agape. The boy says that must be it. He starts leading a stunned Ellen out (back to her distraught father). She suddenly turns back, yelling out into the abyssal forest, and promises Mister Phony she'll return. The boy doesn't seem to understand why she isn't scared of that Hypno. The two of them turn around and keep walking.

A pair of tiny eyes watches them from the underbrush.

(This is the Hypno in FRLG that hypnotizes Lostelle and brings her deep into Three Island's Berry Forest. The protagonist has to rescue her. She's the child mentioned in its Pokédex entry.)

Back
Top Bottom