• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Bit of a whoopsie on my part: anyone who noticed I deleted a post in the Review Game might have noticed I used the old rules for my reasoning. While the post was still invalid, you now only have to wait THREE turns before posting again, not five as I incorrectly stated. Completely my fault, just wanted to clarify so everyone knows of the correct rule.

In more positive mod news, expect to see the first academy lesson for a very long time out this week! Whoever guesses what the topic is wins... my approval!

So, just wondering, how good is the Pokemon manga, those of you who read it? Someone I know's considering getting some of them, and I figured I might be able to help find out whether it'd be worth it or not first.

If you mean Adventures, well, it has it's charms. I think in certain circles the darkness of it is greatly exaggerated. It's unmistakably aimed at kids - the plots are at least as goofy as, say, the main series games. It's enjoyable enough if you don't expect too much from it

I'm someone that read basically all the different Pokemon manga series, bar the movie manga adaption.

Other than the silly Anakubo Kousaku's Pocket Monster gag manga, I'll say almost every manga did a fine work in story telling, especially in character portrayal. Though, many of them don't leave too much of an impression either because their art style is not too outstanding, or I think because they tried too hard in exaggerate the comedy part of the story but undervalue other things that is not comedy.

My favorite Pokemon manga is forever Pokemon Special (aka Pokemon Adventure), the second is probably no one shall expected, Pokemon ReBurst.

Slow down Jigsaw

It's a dating persona game :p to see what type of person you are based on the rankings.

And ignored @Beth Pavell; (I'm just kidding dude :p) Adventure is awesome, I mean okay yeah let's be honest, it's Pokemon you're not gonna get some oscar worthy story that makes you see the world in a whole new light but it deals with a lot of themes and stories in a much better way than the Anime does, and while it has really goofy moments it at least makes good use of what appears in the game.

One big thing Adventures has over the anime is that it doesn't stick with the same protagonist through every region, so the protagonists don't "reset" every chapter.

To the point it makes you wonder when you'll see a particular protagonist again ;c
Still, I'd rather have that than watch as Red starts over with nothing but his super powerful Pikachu, only to lose to a newb with a brand new Snivy or something.

Reading the Special manga was refreshing, but I did get bored and stopped reading around chapter 450. I've been meaning to pick it up again, but alas. I get bored of most longer series, though, so...

Anyway, does anyone have any books they'd recommend for cultural anthropology? Am looking for books that explore things like religion, traditions, etc... I'm not looking at any specific group of people, and a book that covers multiple cultures would be better.

Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever come to a point where all the Dexholders join together again like in FRLG/Emerald to take on another huge thread. I mean, Red and Blue are in ORAS and Green's in XY...

Also, you know what's fun? Having all the plans for My Way laid out in your head and having no motivation to write any of them. Maybe I should consider hiring a ghostwriter...

One big thing Adventures has over the anime is that it doesn't stick with the same protagonist through every region, so the protagonists don't "reset" every chapter.
Makes every story feel like its own thing, which I like.

The anime could work around that if it showed Ash and Pikachu actually staying strong. It might be confusing for very young fans if Ash fights uber-strong Pokemon in the first gym battle of each region, but it would make for better viewing (plus, Ash always seems to struggle against the first or second gym the most anyway :p)

The anime could work around that if it showed Ash and Pikachu actually staying strong. It might be confusing for very young fans if Ash fights uber-strong Pokemon in the first gym battle of each region, but it would make for better viewing (plus, Ash always seems to struggle against the first or second gym the most anyway :p)

Legitimate question, how exactly would it be more entertaining if Ash and Pikachu just steamrolled their way through gym after gym and region after region?

Legitimate question, how exactly would it be more entertaining if Ash and Pikachu just steamrolled their way through gym after gym and region after region?
I'm saying make the Pokemon that he's facing off against higher leveled , not continually squaring off against low-leveled Pokemon who always manage to beat Pikachu. Have some consistency, or at least more of an acknowledgement of past regions outside of a few episodes every 100ish episodes

I'm saying make the Pokemon that he's facing off against higher leveled , not continually squaring off against low-leveled Pokemon who always manage to beat Pikachu. Have some consistency, or at least more of an acknowledgement of past regions outside of a few episodes every 100ish episodes

But at the level he would be at, he should pretty much only be facing off against legendaries by this point. I'm all for more consistency, but not if it means that the show turns into "Ash sends Pikachu out, he automatically wins."

But at the level he would be at, he should pretty much only be facing off against legendaries by this point. I'm all for more consistency, but not if it means that the show turns into "Ash sends Pikachu out, he automatically wins."
Yeah... it's difficult having your protaganist always be an everyman and also always be learning lessons about Pokemon battling and shit, but the solution to the problem isn't to set him permanently at the "overpowered" level.

Yeah... it's difficult having your protaganist always be an everyman and also always be learning lessons about Pokemon battling and shit, but the solution to the problem isn't to set him permanently at the "overpowered" level.

I think that having him rotate out the rest of his team besides Pikachu is a pretty good solution. It gives the show an opportunity to promote the new gen pokes, and gives Ash an excuse to actually struggle a little. Pikachu doesn't have that great HP or Defense, I usually write off early-region losses to weaker pokes as him just getting crit a lot.

I simply meant that Pikachu constantly 'resetting' is a bit tiresome, and Ash seeming to learn nothing from his past journeys. It seems he arrives in a new region and everything that happened to him over the last several weeks/months/years have been completely forgotten. I never once said Pikachu should win everything, I said he could just face slightly tougher opponents that are slightly more realistic for a Pokemon that's been through five different leagues. If they are going to insist on keeping the anime stringently the same as the games, then Ash should really just not use Pikachu for the first gym match or two.

But to be fair, I lost interest in the current seasons of the anime half way through Unova. I only really pay attention now when old faces/Pokemon turn up ala Charizard, so I am not the best critic on what the show is currently doing right or wrong (though from what I've observed it doesn't exactly sound promising).

Back
Top Bottom