• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I never could manage to do NaNoWriMo. I just can't churn out words like that

I thought the exact thing you just post. However, I really want to focus before my birthday coming up in the end of next month. Which is a whole month to go. I like to write a long and tasteful novel, but often give up and move to the next plot. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to focus and finish it as an achievement.

Traditionally, yes. However, most writers probably disregard the notion of NaNoWriMo and try to maintain a steady stream of quality throughout the year, regardless of word count.

Though, admittedly, I managed to throw down 32k words while I was on vacation, and I could probably hit the remaining 18k easily. This tells me that I seriously need to consider unplugging from the internet more often, I'm infinitely more productive when I do.

if only I'd written the next few chapters of something, rather than vague goals in the distance, whatever. Progress has been made on those at least.

Yes, but there's camp NaNoWriMo which I'm doing in a April and another one (I think a different name) in July.

It could always be worse. Prescott and I have been listening to our neighbors' gangster rap since about 6:30 this morning. It's the really shit, really sexist and really "please murder me in cold blood" kind, which makes it even worse.

also, hi guys!

Hey Caitlin!

As a person who lived in lousy neighborhoods (Brooklyn), I cannot agree more.

Come to the US, our 'entry level' jobs require 2-4 years of college study or work experience in that particular field. Sometimes both.

I think it's a symptom of a larger problem, really. Companies make it impossible to hire people based on frivolous standards, but in putting those standards out it looks like they're growing economically, when they're probably struggling. As If I were a business owner, I probably wouldn't look at a company that appears to be struggling if I want to get some business done, because I wouldn't know if I can count on them. But if it looked like they were doing well, maybe I might consider them.

I dunno. All I know is that it sucks for the little guy. If you're not hiring, just be blunt about it.

Last edited:
Don't you just hate it when you apply for a job and you don't get it because you need 'more experience', and it's like "Well, that's why I needed this job - to get experience!!!!"

Haha, I can't blame you on that. I don't have that much experience as well and it is upsetting. Only option I'm thinking is to work in fast food. (Thinking of Papa Murphy's)

I hate job-hunting, not only just because it is a painful process that the final result is often some job that it turns out to be something I don't like at the end of the day, but it is just so spirit and energy draining which dishearten the job-seekers for every single time one spend days in researching one company, only to be getting rejected. This is UK, and I had being a part-time worker for already a year.

For many time, I kind of think this recruitment system is just so broken. In LinkedIn and many job boards, there are job seeking tips about intelligent CV and cover letter writing, such as the human-voiced CV that express your characters out, and pain letter going directly to the directors and/or executive without going through the human resource department of the company. But as a company, what do you wanted really? Isn't just a decent worker that can fill up your job vacancy?

Although some job stated that it will be a permanent role, but looking from the applicant and employee POV, what is the possibility that one will stick to a single job permanently? There are just so many employers doesn't think from the employees' POV, that's why IMO companies are just keeping on looking for that "perfect" candidate which meets every single requirements right off the bat, ignoring many others that are currently imperfect at the moment, but have the potential to become your "perfect" employee by just giving a bit of nourishment.

I doubt this old-fashioned recruitment process that doesn't match with the current world's employment status will receive any improvement, especially in UK which is a country being so old-fashioned to the point of being stubborn and reluctant towards new things.

BTW, recently I read from LinkedIn Pulse about a story of a job-seeker that is so appropriate and perfectly matched for a job, wasn't even able to land an interview for the job. Guess the reason? The human resource department of that company wasn't even using their own company's recruitment system to recruit new employees!

It not only infuriated that story protagonist, but made him and everyone wonder the same doubt -- There is something significantly very wrong with the old recruitment process.
But more of my personal doubt is, when a company's human resource department is not doing their job, why do they need a human resource department?

Honestly the main conventional wisdom that's been shoved down my throat is to go to college, make connections, and get an engineering degree. I realize it's not for everyone and not an option for a lot of people, but it's working decently well for me so far. Making connections is probably the hardest part but I'm blessed as fuck to come from a well off neighborhood where if you throw a stone you'll hit someone who works for Microsoft, or AT&T, or Amazon, or Boeing, or any one of the many contractors that feed those companies (of course, if you actually hit them with a stone, they probably wouldn't hire you). And if you still can't get a decent job? Move to the city. 15$ an hour minimum wage.

tl;dr everyone should come live with me, we'll build a castle and have parties all the time. hmu

Honestly the main conventional wisdom that's been shoved down my throat is to go to college, make connections, and get an engineering degree. I realize it's not for everyone and not an option for a lot of people, but it's working decently well for me so far. Making connections is probably the hardest part but I'm blessed as fuck to come from a well off neighborhood where if you throw a stone you'll hit someone who works for Microsoft, or AT&T, or Amazon, or Boeing, or any one of the many contractors that feed those companies (of course, if you actually hit them with a stone, they probably wouldn't hire you). And if you still can't get a decent job? Move to the city. 15$ an hour minimum wage.

tl;dr everyone should come live with me, we'll build a castle and have parties all the time. hmu

Isn't it more expensive to live in/near the city, though, and that's why the minimum wage is higher? I could move to NY like I've wanted to for forever, where you're paid more but it costs $40 to get a large pizza. It's $7 per large pizza where I live now. Yes, I just brought pizza into this conversation.

But at any rate, yes, connections seem to be really, really important. That and an insane amount of well-aimed effort put into finding a job. I know plenty of my friends who just graduated college a year ago with me with bachelor's and already found some great, stable, well-paying jobs. Like... the ones that say "master's degree preferred, but bachelor's accepted" on their ads, and ones with very high volumes of competition. I admit I'm not in that group of people, but I'm quite content just bouncing around from job to job getting experience right now.

Yeah, but you don't have to live directly in the city. Just close enough to be able to work within city limits.

I am trying to get a job in journalism, and I have made connections and spread my writing around several different insitutions, but it doesn't seem to have actually paid off. I cant quite fathom why having a decent range of experience for someone who has only recently graduated doesn't count for anything.

Lighter topic for you all: for those on FanFiction.net, what's an odd country your work seems to do quite well in? I seem to get a lot of attention in Denmark, which has never really struck me as a big Pokemon friendly country :p

Lighter topic for you all: for those on FanFiction.net, what's an odd country your work seems to do quite well in? I seem to get a lot of attention in Denmark, which has never really struck me as a big Pokemon friendly country :p

Denmark? My country? I can't say I personally know how big the Pokémon community in Denmark is, but I know that and other Nintendo-related communities exists here. Trust me on this though: If a region in an upcoming Pokémon game is being based on Denmark, you can bet its popularity will sky-rocket like no tomorrow. Media will cover it the moment it is announced and when the game(s) is released to the point you think Ragnarok has come! :p

I still remember the whole "Denmark is in World of Warcraft: Mist of Pandaria-logo" craziness a few years ago. It was bonkers!! And awesome!

Back
Top Bottom