• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

You certainly do, you win.....
MY ADMIRATION!
56140582.jpg
I wish I was read enough to be able to notice it. It's funny to think that I would have never known about How to Conquer Kalos if you hadn't told me.

I do remember seeing Legolas firing arrows at targets he wasn't even looking at (behind him for example) in one of the Tolkien movies. Ultimately, I think his skills offset Hawkeye's and Green Arrow's equipment.

Whatever the case of whoever is the better archer, I think however we can all agree that they're all among the best of the best.

Hawkeye can hit targets without even looking as well. Dunno about Green Arrow here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it too.

These two are human and have no superpowers, but they still have their high-tech arrows. They have arrows that contain electricity, bombs, nets, etc. Just one of any of these would take out someone like Legolas, I'd imagine.

You know, I had my writing plagiarized once too, a long time ago. It was an old version of TAP. I still look back on it today and wonder what made the idiot want to steal that garbage. lol

Ugh, I've been plagiarized twice, and it sucked both times.

The first time the person tried to say "It's not plagiarism, I'm just trying to make a story to rival yours and it has to be similar!" Then they tried to weasel out of it by saying "We never truly defined plagiarism though, so what is plagiarism?" They got dogpiled by the rest of the forum.

The other time was fairly recently, and the person claimed it was an accident, even though their chapter was nearly word-for-word copied from one of mine. I contacted their beta and the beta told me "Well, they said it was an accident, so it was an accident. Also they have autism and can't tell right from wrong so they had no idea that copying someone else's story - which they didn't do on purpose! - is wrong to begin with."
I tell you, I wanted to freaking scream for that.
I think they eventually were convinced to remove the chapter, but they never apologized to me and instead insisted I was the bad guy for getting mad about it.

Sorry to hear that happened to both of you :/ I am pleased that I don't think we have ever had a case of plagarism on this forum, but I know that it happens a lot in other corners of the internet. I know one friend from FF.net who had someone steal the plot of their story and characters exactly, but changed names and words so it wasn't blatantly obvious.

I've realized that in terms of Pokémon subject manner, I just enjoy writing expansion fics way more than completely original character stories. When I try to go too deep with original characters, I find myself losing interest in writing because I might as well just right something completely original, not fan fiction, which I do.

I feel like I'm in the minority here on that, which is definitely not a bad thing, just an observation.

That's really the main thing I like about FF. There seems to be people who share that opinion with me and therefore people are actually willing to read a non-OC story.

As for FF itself, it feels like the attitude here towards it is not very favorable. I can definitely see that. It's just such a big place that there are more less than ideal people/authors/readers. But I do appreciate how it gives people like me a chance for many eyes to see my work.

Hawkeye can hit targets without even looking as well. Dunno about Green Arrow here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it too.

These two are human and have no superpowers, but they still have their high-tech arrows. They have arrows that contain electricity, bombs, nets, etc. Just one of any of these would take out someone like Legolas, I'd imagine.
That might all be well and true but neither Hawkeye nor Green Arrow have access to these technologies in this scenario. It's all about who the best archer is.

I've realized that in terms of Pokémon subject manner, I just enjoy writing expansion fics way more than completely original character stories. When I try to go too deep with original characters, I find myself losing interest in writing because I might as well just right something completely original, not fan fiction, which I do.

I feel like I'm in the minority here on that, which is definitely not a bad thing, just an observation.

That's really the main thing I like about FF. There seems to be people who share that opinion with me and therefore people are actually willing to read a non-OC story.

As for FF itself, it feels like the attitude here towards it is not very favorable. I can definitely see that. It's just such a big place that there are more less than ideal people/authors/readers. But I do appreciate how it gives people like me a chance for many eyes to see my work.

I don't think many people here are particularly against canon characters, nor anyone who would be straight up unwilling to read one, especially not if it's a good story, the general trend is just a preference for writing OC. You shouldn't feel like anyone here doesn't want to read your story because it's canon or anything - no one here gets much attention for their work anymore, so it's more us than you :p

I don't dislike the site as a method for posting stories. I know I get more readers and generally more feedback on FF.net and that's why I still post there. It is a site that has its positives, but like any website it is not a perfect place, and unfortunately the cons tend to outweigh the positives there. You might feel disheartened that people here aren't rushing to read canon, but it's the exact opposite on FF.net, and it can be very crushing to have an original idea you've put lots of time and energy into planning and writing get ignored in favour of poorly written stories featuring Ash, aura and shipping that makes up the majority of the Pokemon content there and those three elements alone are enough to make a story more popular than the quality has any right to be. I'm not saying that's the case for your story, but there are a lot of stories out there on FF.

But one of the problems with FF.net is the management itself. I have complained about some things multiple times and they just get ignored. I had a spam review once from a registered user, was just a load of gobbledegook, and I reported it so many times over a number of weeks and they jut left it there. The benefit of smaller forums is that generally issues like that can be nipped in the bud.

Last edited:
That might all be well and true but neither Hawkeye nor Green Arrow have access to these technologies in this scenario. It's all about who the best archer is.

Who says they can't have access to their tech? That isn't fair to them and by taking it away, they're not at their full strength. It's basically handicapping them. :/

I don't think many people here are particularly against canon characters, nor anyone who would be straight up unwilling to read one, especially not if it's a good story, the general trend is just a preference for writing OC. You shouldn't feel like anyone here doesn't want to read your story because it's canon or anything - no one here gets much attention for their work anymore, so it's more us than you :p

I don't dislike the site as a method for posting stories. I know I get more readers and generally more feedback on FF.net and that's why I still post there. It is a site that has its positives, but like any website it is not a perfect place, and unfortunately the cons tend to outweigh the positives there. You might feel disheartened that people here aren't rushing to read canon, but it's the exact opposite on FF.net, and it can be very crushing to have an original idea you've put lots of time and energy into planning and writing get ignored in favour of poorly written stories featuring Ash, aura and shipping that makes up the majority of the Pokemon content there and those three elements alone are enough to make a story more popular than the quality has any right to be. I'm not saying that's the case for your story, but there are a lot of stories out there on FF.

But one of the problems with FF.net is the management itself. I have complained about some things multiple times and they just get ignored. I had a spam review once from a registered user, was just a load of gobbledegook, and I reported it so many times over a number of weeks and they jut left it there. The benefit of smaller forums is that generally issues like that can be nipped in the bud.

Well put. I feel bad because TPI is going to feature all those things you mentioned lol.

Well put. I feel bad because TPI is going to feature all those things you mentioned lol.
Well like anything it depends on how well they are done. There's nothing wrong with romance in a story, there is just an issue when the whole point of the story seems to be "SHIP SHIP SHIP LOOK AT THIS SHIP!!!" I think the fact those things aren't the main selling point of the story and aren't being used as such shows a big difference between you and the average/stereotypical FF Pokemon writer.

Speaking of the anime, did you know that by the end of next year/early 2018, the 1000th episode would have aired? Seems mad to think there have been that many.

Last edited:
1000 is only a statistics. It means nothing to the Pokemon Anime staff.

Do you really think they will do something so explicit to celebrate this monumental number, like the 999th and 1000th episode of overall Kamen Rider franchise in the Kamen Rider OOO, featuring the "original root" of the entire franchise?
As if the Pokemon Anime had ever cared about its "original root" before.......

1000 is only a statistics. It means nothing to the Pokemon Anime staff.

Do you really think they will do something so explicit to celebrate this monumental number, like the 999th and 1000th episode of overall Kamen Rider franchise in the Kamen Rider OOO, featuring the "original root" of the entire franchise?
As if the Pokemon Anime had ever cared about its "original root" before.......
1000 is an impressive number. I don't really care what it means to the anime staff, I'm allowed to find that interesting.

Oh, I do! I want to get back into it after I'd been pretty much gone for so long.

Back
Top Bottom