• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Doesn't look like I'll have anything presentable this time around, progress has been rather slow for me. Still not satisfied with how I'm starting off, so I could take quite a while yet. There's some small possibility I could have something presentable next winter though.

Doesn't look like I'll have anything presentable this time around, progress has been rather slow for me. Still not satisfied with how I'm starting off, so I could take quite a while yet. There's some small possibility I could have something presentable next winter though.
You should look into getting a beta reader to go over your work, even if you don't think it is presentable. They will be able to point you in the right direction and can even let you know if your story is better than you think.

You should look into getting a beta reader to go over your work, even if you don't think it is presentable. They will be able to point you in the right direction and can even let you know if your story is better than you think.

That's a good idea, thanks, I'll look into doing that. Whereabouts would I ask, just here in the chat thread, or somewhere else?

Make sure you are all reading widely then! Our summer awards are usually much busier for whatever reason so hopefully we see a lot of entries.

My guess, AT, is that summer is when school is out, so people have more time to read and write then. :p

I'm not dead. Just had some health issues and got sucked in to reading a 1.8 million word serial novel.

It's definitely a nice surprise. As I recall pretty much everyone, myself included, was groaning about getting another fire-type lion one generation after pyroar. So it's nice that it's not fire-type, even if steel/psychic has also been done before a bit.

Still planning on getting the Moon version myself though, Lunala looks better and now we actually see it in battle, it's ceased to look like Yveltal to me - up until now I'd thought their poses and movements were all fairly similar. I do find it strange that Lunala isn't flying-type and doesn't have Levitate as a stand-in for that, though.

So is anyone else surprised that Solgaleo isn't a Fire type as expected but a Steel/Psychic type?

I'm really surprised. It doesn't matter if Litleo and Pyroar exist or not, a sun legendary not being Fire type makes no sense to me. And it makes even less sense for it to be Steel type because it's WEAK to Fire type moves! If GF wanted to avoid another Fire type lion, they should've based it off of a different animal, imo.

I was just really disappointed with the info we got. I felt like we got very little that was significant or interesting at all.

So far I'm feeling very uninterested in these games. I am sure I will probably be intrigued once they come out and know more of the plot and all the Pokemon, but currently there's nothing that makes me want to commit to another one of these games. The region does look very pretty though, and if there are enough good Pokemon introduced I'd be tempted to purchase.

I find it intriguing how the protagonists seem younger than normal. They seem to be aiming for as young and diverse as possible an audience, despite the fact X/Y were mostly brought by white 20 y/o men in the States.

Last edited:
They need to be diverse, they should have been about 10 years ago if they wanted to seem 'with the times'. The fact they still view it as a childrens franchise when kids arent interested anymore speaks a lot to some of the issues with the franchise.

True, it should have happened earlier, but at least it's happening at all. Better late than never, I guess.

And...I dunno, I still see lots of kids enjoying Pokemon? heck, I saw three different little boys wearing Pikachu shirts at work today, and a girl with a Pokeball hat. Not to mention the kids who come buy the games at my register.
I don't feel they're directly marketing it just to kids, I think they're aware that it's an all-ages phenomenon and are marketing it as such - it's just that kids were how it started, so they're not forgetting that.

And...I dunno, I still see lots of kids enjoying Pokemon? heck, I saw three different little boys wearing Pikachu shirts at work today, and a girl with a Pokeball hat. Not to mention the kids who come buy the games at my register.
I don't feel they're directly marketing it just to kids, I think they're aware that it's an all-ages phenomenon and are marketing it as such - it's just that kids were how it started, so they're not forgetting that.
The player characters this game look much younger than the ones from past games. Plus the Japanese trailer when the starters were unveiled was all about kids bonding over Pokemon. Given that the figures are indicating the growing age in the fanbase, you would think they would appeal more towards them. My issue is more with how it's the 20th anniversary but it's just another entirely new game rather than something a tad more new or original - they certainly haven't indicated any big changes so far.

Think about how insanely popular a more "grown up" Pokèmon anime, game, etc would be? I'm not talking about blood, gore, sex, killing, etc. I'm just saying if they did even a teen version, it would destroy everything in terms of popularity.

When Sun and Moon first leaked, my dream was it would be RedSun/BlueMoon and be set 20 years after Red and Blue around Team Rocket's resurgence and featuring a 30 y/o Red

I get the feeling that Pokemon being popular with kids these days is probably because those kids' parents introduced it to them, rather than it actually being meticulously marketed to them. There's so much out there that's more popular and has a broader appeal that it's easy for Pokemon to get lost in the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom