• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've spent an inordinate amount of time in recent weeks crafting a 'world war' scenario for my fantasy novel that I hope to one day get published. I'm trying to capture the root causes of WWI and draw parallels with the ridiculous amount of alliances and defensive pacts that caused that conflict. It's fun stuff to do.

Now comes the hard part, actually writing it all out :|

Not sure if anyone knows this already, but I'm curious if Pokemon Sun/Moon will allow pokebank transfer from X/Y? I want to transfer all my shinies... and as a side note, I feel crazy for wanting to do this, but my plan is to get all the shiny versions of the new pokemon on my own - no trading like I have been in the past.

I've been so busy with judging and writing my own stuff I haven't had any time for anything else. I feel quite bad about it really!

BTW, if anyone read the Author of the Month interview and thought it was oddly formated, I just realised that when I copy and pasted the interview the forums randomly deleted some of the questions and I have no idea why. But at any rate it has been fixed now.

Glad to know it's fixed! I quite enjoy interviews of all sorts so I always enjoy it whenever AotM is posted.

Not sure if anyone knows this already, but I'm curious if Pokemon Sun/Moon will allow pokebank transfer from X/Y? I want to transfer all my shinies... and as a side note, I feel crazy for wanting to do this, but my plan is to get all the shiny versions of the new pokemon on my own - no trading like I have been in the past.

Thankfully it will! I believe there'll be an update for Pokébank beforehand but that should be it, if I remember correctly.

Glad to know it's fixed! I quite enjoy interviews of all sorts so I always enjoy it whenever AotM is posted.

Thankfully it will! I believe there'll be an update for Pokébank beforehand but that should be it, if I remember correctly.

Good to hear. I just remembered though that I sold my 3ds that had Pokebank on it... I hope it hasn't been charging me that yearly fee lmao... I doubt it saves card information, though. Probably just deleted it from that 3ds unless the person I sold it to repaid.

So is anyone watching the anime? It appears they are already at the League. I can't believe that D/P dragged on for so long, with like 100 episodes of filler, and Kalos is already done :p

Yeah, it's crazy to think how quickly we've gotten here, but especially how smoothly, too. Checking some of the episodes coming up, it doesn't feel like they rushed into the League.

So I've been having a little back and forth between myself and a published fantasy fiction author. We've been discussing ideas, the writing/editing process, how to get in contact with producers and publishers for a few days. Today, she asked me to send her a little primer on the story I've been working on, so she can see how I'm doing as a budding writer. She told me that if I'm good enough, she can probably get me in touch with a few publication companies once I've progressed with the story a bit more.

excitement levels are through the roof

I've always been told, and this has been through other authors, through teachers in writing classes, through articles on the subject, that before you even think about approaching a publisher, you need some sort of connection to it, such as knowing an editor or a manager. Nine times out of ten, a work of writing is dismissed simply because the author is unknown around the office.

Then comes the part of the peer reviewer, someone not strictly associated with the publication company. A friend, a family member, maybe even another writer. They read your work, pick out the broken parts and highlight them, and you get to fixing them. It's kind of like panning for gold, you keep shaking the story around until the broken bits disappear.

At that point, you submit your rough draft to your contact at the publishing house. They'll tell you if what you've written is worth printing or not, and if it is, you can move onto the refinement stage. Hammer out the last of the problems, such as the odd grammar or spelling mistake that's gotten through the countless rewrites and reviews. "This is a job for the editor, though!" The editors don't want to work, they want their jobs done before it even lands on their desk.

The next step is negotiating with the company of what major changes should be made. Things to cut, things to add, all in the name of making it more marketable and more profitable. Prepare to be flexible, or you'll find your work in the shredder.

How much of this is true, I couldn't say. I haven't submitted anything to an actual publisher, or talked to anyone associated with a publication company. Just hearsay I've heard/read about over the years. I'll have to ask that author I'm talking to how things are done. I really hope it's not, because setting all of that up in addition to writing out a fully fledged novel is a daunting task for a social broken dweeb like myself. I can barely touch a phone, let alone network with intimidating business professionals who can invalidate years of work with a few words.

Technology is surely damningly annoying, and it is customer-demographic-discriminatory.

I like Windows Phone especially its interface, and I had no intention to switch to Android nor Apple Phone because I don't like their interface. However, I'll never get to play any well-known mobile games including Pokemon GO, because Windows Phone App Market Place doesn't includes apps from Google Play and Apple Store.

Mobile phone apps market needs a revolution. The sooner the better.

Google Play straight up tells me it's not available in my country.

Y'know, the USA.

Theyve only released it in Aus, NZ and Japan at the mo to my knowledge. And its annoying cause all these people on my newsfeed are just playing it cause its free and I just wanna yell at them to give me their phones :p

Back
Top Bottom