• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

it's my birthday you guys

Happy birthday!

Edit: Huh, just realised yesterday was the birthday of one of my main characters. I'd planned to remember that. On that note, how many of you guys give your characters birthdays and make a point of remembering and noting them in real life?

Last edited:
Edit: Huh, just realised yesterday was the birthday of one of my main characters. I'd planned to remember that. On that note, how many of you guys give your characters birthdays and make a point of remembering and noting them in real life?

Since I write for PMD, and my characters are Pokemon, I couldn't decide if they should celebrate the day their egg was laid or when they hatched from it. So I decided not to have them celebrate their birthdays (er- laydays, or something)

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to your character and obsidian_knight, haha.

I always remember Sai's birthday from Survival Project (January 5). Which is weird, because I never really cared to pinpoint his exact age. *shrug

Anddd today's also the birthday of one of Flying in the Dark's main characters, which I only remembered because of your post... His birthday is something that's actually supposed to be pointed out in the next section... I should have timed that better.

Last edited:
Steven's birthday is sometime in July, but I haven't put a date down or anything.

Alaska's birthday is next month. I wonder if I should acknowledge that in world somehow but I honestly can't remember what month this story is set in XD

Andrea's birthday is scheduled to come up about a month from where Storm Island currently is. I actually have a plan for what'll happen on that day. It won't be pretty. :D

Anyone got any advise for the sleep-deprived? Cause I have been running on no sleep for the past couple of days.

Terrific, Pokémon Go got covered in national news here in Denmark just now XD Even 40 year old guys play it apparently!

I wonder why authors like to assign birthday to a non-real fictional character? In any case they won't age according to our Real-Life date. They only age according to one's fic story progression.

Though I can't say I don't do something like that. Next month the 2nd is the birthday of Raye, the second protagonist of my fic. Atsushi the main protagonist's birthday is at January, so the soonest is next year.

Holy shit....

It's been a long while since I've been here but my inspiration for writing never dies...and it has been reignited.

Uh, what's the Writing-type version of Blaze?

Holy shit....

It's been a long while since I've been here but my inspiration for writing never dies...and it has been reignited.

Uh, what's the Writing-type version of Blaze?

For whatever reason on reading this, instead of anything related, the first thing that came to mind was the concept of a hot-blooded writer. Clearly, this concept needs to be made to happen.

Holy shit, dude.

Actually, I wouldn't say it's too much. I mean, I've written chapters that are over 8,000 words long, close to 9,000. And, if I recall, Shinneth's written chapters twice as long as that, at least.

Depends on the chapter, I'd say. If it still feels like it's going somewhere the whole way through, and doesn't feel drawn out at all, should be fine. Though I'd argue it's worth avoiding getting into the habit of doing really long chapters (say, 10,000 words and upwards, perhaps - still a fair bit more than you've got there) every time around, I find that can make reading even good stuff into a bit of a chore sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom