• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Medieval II is most like Rome, but about twice as interesting to play. Choosing between castles and cities, relations with the Pope, taking prisoners in battle - oh, and squalor actually being manageable with a bit of planning. The AI is still a bit ropy, but then it always is for Total War. Sieges are far more interesting as well.

Shogun 2 I never liked very much - I'm told it's not very well balanced, and based on what I played battles are a bit too RTS for my liking. The attempt a tech tree was interesting, and there's one or two mechanics that I like, but overall it's a bit naff.

Empire is like nothing else. The economy is completely different, fleet battles are tough to get the hang of but overall work very well. The tech tree is a nice addition - there are relatively few units but technology can make a huge difference to each game. What else ... oh yes, experience is easier to gain and retain as well.

My vanilla choice for all-time favorite game is The Last of Us, but it's not exactly the kind of game you play for that warm, happy feeling.

In terms of fun things that I keep playing all the time, even when it's been forever? I've become unreasonably addicted to Borderlands 2, wherein you basically just collect more guns to shoot more enemies to collect more guns to shoot more enemies to... well, you get the point. Everything is a walking loot pinata and the plot is paper-thin to the point of non-existent, but somehow it's loads of fun.

I've been playing the shit outta some Overwatch here lately.

I think the game I dumped the most time into was Fallout 3 however, which I started playing last October and just buckled down and did every single quest I could until about mid-November. I played at least a couple hours almost every day.

I've been playing a lot of games since last year but I really ahve yet to find a fave, I really liked Undertale and Persona 3 though, while Persona 3 is long and there's a lot of grinding involved it's got a really good story and themes to it an dmakes you care about it scharacters. And well Undertale was really fun and excitin gto play when it wasn't making me laugh out loud xD

Aside from that I discovere dthis new indie game caleld VA-11 HALL-A it's essentially a visual novel game and a bartending simulator taking place in a futuristic dystopia a la Blade Runner/ Ghost in the Shell where you play a bartender who has to serve drinks to different types of people, the things those people talk about allows you to understand the world and story better and it's all influenced by how well you serve your drinks. You can also read articles and stuff like that on the main character's phone when you're out of work too.

I mostly went ot it cause I saw that it used all the events going on here (since it was created by venezuelan developers) as inspiration for the world in the game. So not only is it done by people from my country, based on events from my country but it can help me with that new fic idea I talked about before xD and also the characters are really funa nd the dialogue is entertaining plus it also talks about a lot of interesting subjects like manipulation of media, corruption, sexual exploration and stuff like that.

Oh... I had forgotten about a Legend of Zelda-esque MMORPG I played growing up. Playing that game for so many years (I think it would be 15 years this year) was simultaneously the worst and best decision of my life. The game officially died a few months ago, anddd when it did I had about 17,000 hours logged. Like, those were hours I actually spent clocked in, playing or chatting with people, or at least sitting at the computer doing homework at the same time.

tl;dr diamondpearl876 was literally raised by a computer and people on the internet

hmmm so i just noticed
THIS IS MY 1,000th POST ON THIS FORUM

LIKE THE VAST MAJORITY OF MY POSTS, IT IS LARGELY DEVOID OF MEANING, LOITERING USELESSLY IN THE WRITER'S WORKSHOP FORUM, AND FILLED WITH CAPITAL LETTERS AND IRONY

thx for a solid three years, fam. <3

Has anyone encountered a really long game that they really, really like and can't stop playing, even after days of doing nothing but?
Does my Civ 5 binge earlier this year count, where I literally put 25+ hours a week into it for a month solid? I swear, I'm worse than a meth head when it comes to addiction.

Until a bit over a year ago, I played a lot of World of Warcraft in my spare time. Unfortunately, the latest expansion was essentially one of those games you find in app stores where you wait a lot for things to complete. And that wasn't what I was looking for in WoW. After a session of playing the game one day, I literally thought to myself: "What the heck am I doing with my life with this game?!" And I haven't looked back since.

Haven't play any game recently. I don't even remember when was the last time I touch the console and the controller. Heck I can't even remember what was the last game title I was playing.

Nintendo (and my surrogate father, Mega Man) raised me to be a violent psychopath, quick to angry outbursts in which an object goes flying across the room into a wall. I still have PTSD from all those jumps where there are spike walls on either side that move.

Nintendo (and my surrogate father, Mega Man) raised me to be a violent psychopath, quick to angry outbursts in which an object goes flying across the room into a wall. I still have PTSD from all those jumps where there are spike walls on either side that move.
Hey, at least it's character :D

So that published fantasy author I've been having an on-again-off-again chat with finally got back to me on the writing she asked me to send her. It wasn't good, I guess. She told me that my writing is filled with the 'critical flaws of a beginner' and that I need to spend a lot of time 'reviewing the basics of story writing' if I have any hope of making it as an author. She said she'd feel uncomfortable forwarding me to the people she knew with her publishing agency.

I'm not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but if my writing is as bad as she's making it out to be, I'd be interested to hear her opinion on a majority of the garbage that gets published to FF.net or even to the paperback bargain bin. I at least put effort into what I write, and I'm not sure I can say the same for a lot of authors. It makes me wonder if she even read what I sent her.

I want to ignore her blistering critique and I probably will, but god, what a kick in the teeth. Just as I was getting out of that rut of not enjoying it, she comes and sets fire to the dream.

I'm so sorry to hear that KP, I was rooting for you! Did she give you any specific feedback, or was it just vague/generic critiques? That would be the main way to know if she actually read it/is actually invested in wanting to help you grow as an author.

If it helps, apparently fantasy authors find better success with getting attention online through self-publishing or what not than general fiction.

It was mostly vague criticism, though she did point out a few problems with my characters that make it seem like she read at least parts of what I sent her. I dunno.

I still respect her as a writer, but as a person? Hard call to make.

In a perverse way, this might be good for you. Not because you somehow deserved it, but because everything I've ever read about the publishing industry tells me it's very much like that.

People think of publishing as some sort of gold standard of written art, and it really isn't. Unsolicited manuscripts aren't so much read as skimmed, and consigned to the bin for reasons that, frankly, would look stupid to someone who reads as fun, not as work. Publishers are afraid of change and quick to try and ride runaway successes, very much like Hollywood. I think it's truer to say that books get published, not so much because someone's thought "this is a really great story" as "I'm damn certain that this will sell" (And incidentally, all that was true well before E.L. James).

Point is, if you're going into this, you're probably going to get rejected again and again, with probably less reason than that. But just because you have been rejected doesn't mean that you're a talentless hack with no business even dreaming of being published

Back
Top Bottom