• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

An argument so legendary, you forgot all about it straight away.

In my defense though, the dude actually couldnt handle the shitstorm of different opinions, so he straight up admitted he was a jerk for making the post in the first place, several times- though that did nothing to quell the shitstorm.

I think hes actually crying as we speak, poor dude.

That was painful to read. What did he expect to happen there? I mean, I sort of get where he's coming from. I like some of the new features, but others just feel like too much, too fast (Z-moves in particular kinda made me go WTF). But seriously, complaining about it in that manner is a good way to get laughed off the board.

Speaking of all the new developments, what do we think? Is anyone going to rush to include them in their fan-fic? The idea of different species of Pokemon is a nice idea but I wonder how many of them they will do it for and if that means Mega Evolutions are not going to happen.

I'm really scared to find out what all these new forms and whatnot is going to mean for my shinydex. Otherwise, I will be screaming internally with excitement every second until November.

Inb4 Alola Vulpix and Ninetails' shinies are the same as their originals' normal colors

Speaking of all the new developments, what do we think? Is anyone going to rush to include them in their fan-fic? The idea of different species of Pokemon is a nice idea but I wonder how many of them they will do it for and if that means Mega Evolutions are not going to happen.

It may greatly affect Love and Other Nightmares since there is a lot of focus on training and, in the future, evolution. Anddd I had an idea for a Hoenn fic but may try to see what I can do with Alola since Team Magma/Aqua fics have been done to death by this point.

I'm planning on giving a few characters Z-Moves, new Pokémon and Alolan variant Pokémon, but they won't turn up in The Power of Three for a while. I figure it would be cool to have them, but there's no rush when I've already got plans.

Hmm, I can't see it having a huge impact. Man, I always do this . . . back when Kalos was coming out, I was just getting into the swing of a fic set in Unova so I couldn't experiment with all the new stuff I wanted to. Now I've finally gotten around to that Kalos story, but Alola is just around the corner with all the weird and wonderful stuff that comes along with it. :s

When Kalos first came out I was determined not to include it, and simply blew up the region, which has actually proved very beneficial to the GalacticVerse as a whole. However, I am not overly fond of Alola yet: I like the idea of this island region, but there is nothing very interesting yet. I might copy the alternate forme Pokemon only cause that kinda makes sense, but not a single Pokemon so far has inspired anything in me.

Well, since I've been using polymorphic pokémon and subspecies in The Long Walk already, I doubt Alolan variants will make much of an impact. So far I doubt I'll be doing much with the region, but a new 'dex will probably open up a few new options in the battles

Honestly, I was planning to include the Delta Species from the card games as a actual species. Which, involving Charmander as an electric-type and the Eevee family becoming part-Steel, is pretty much the exact same situation as the Alola Forme species.

I see no reason to change how things are going based on new information. I haven't adapted to any changes beyond Gen IV, and I doubt I will, because a majority of the big draws are, in my opinion, downright stupid.

I mean, Z-Moves? c'moooooooon. That's about as un-Pokemon as it gets. The Pokemon are the power house fighters, why is the trainer getting involved by sharing their energy? What energy?

I mean, Z-Moves? c'moooooooon. That's about as un-Pokemon as it gets. The Pokemon are the power house fighters, why is the trainer getting involved by sharing their energy? What energy?

That one's rapidly becoming a favourite of Pokémon - mysterious mystic bonds which seem to vaguely have something to do with feeding pokémon sweets. I almost wouldn't mind stuff like that but it's always achieved without the trainer actually having to do anything other than be a protagonists

It's always been about Pokemon and Trainers working together to bring out their full potential, though. Mega Evolution and Z-Moves are just a natural progression of that, though even I feel Z-Moves might be a step too far. Mega Evolution was totally badass, but the new moves just feel . . . a bit gimmicky.

At the same time, though, I can't be too upset. Pokemon was in serious need of a breath of fresh air, and all signs point to exactly that in Sun & Moon. Game Freak look to be revamping a lot of old systems, from gym battles to HM moves, and Z-moves are just one example of that. When you enact that many sweeping changes in a long-running, beloved franchise, of course it's gonna be a bit hit or miss. Some things will stick, and some will flop. It's the same with any innovation. For better or worse, it looks like SM will be very different to what we've come to expect from Pokemon games so far.

From a storytelling point of view, it's all (Apparently) rather half-baked, and the same issue exists with Mega Evolution. The game makes a big thing about potential and bonds between pokémon and trainer, etc etc, but Mega Evolution at least is as classic a case of "show don't tell" as you can find - because it just happens, no matter what the protagonist does.

The anime handles Mega Evolution rather better in that regard - it's something appreciably rare, and only very skilled Trainers with well-trained Pokemon can use it. Add to that the fact that the Mega Stones seem to be far less freely available, and I think it's acceptably difficult to access.

It would be difficult to balance it in game, really, if you wanted to make it more difficult. Which mechanic would you use to determine whether a Pokemon has a bond with its Trainer? The usual friendship meter that gets used for evolution? That's hardly strenuous; I had a Crobat at level 26 in my recent Y playthrough. Pokemon-Amie? Anyone can sit and poke the screen for twenty minutes until their Pokemon loves them, so it's not exactly a difficult requirement. I honestly feel like locking it behind final evolutions was the best way they could have handled it, because - with a few exceptions - you're not going to have a Mega Evolvable Pokemon until quite late in the game, after you've raised your Charmander all the way to a Charizard, or gone exploring the depths of Meteor Falls for a Bagon and helped it achieve its eternal dream of being able to fly.

Except for the Lati@s thing in ORAS with Steven. I can't even defend that, it was so fricking stupid.

A lot of things are easily done in the games - they're not difficult games. My point is that when the game spends so much time telling you how special some power is, and then you don't have do anything whatsoever to use it, the whole thing falls flat. I mean, even the Tower of kewl Lucario Mastery made the most half-hearted attempt at a challenge possible.

Back
Top Bottom