• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I can totally see there being a new wolf Pokemon in Gen VII, what with the whole Sun/Moon thing. Something that changes forme when the moon is out, perhaps?

Yeah, it is much more intriguing than some of the original Pokemon on offer. I'm a bit disappointed that after all this there is going to be a villainous team again - and Team Skull is such a boring name. I mean, they never are really, but still :p

I can't get too upset about the villains, to be honest, given how hit and miss they are. Team Fab-u-lous Flare ranks among my least favourite, and that's following on from Plasma, which I felt wasn't quite there. I thought the supposed knightly motif of the original design was a bad idea, especially compared to that rather sleek paramilitary thing the second design had

So does that mean the Ghost in Kanto Pokémon Tower was actually just an Alola form Marowak? :p

Knowing GameFreak, the pokedex for the sand castle is probably gonna be like: "A child drowned in the waves while playing on the beach and woke up as a [Sandcastle]." or like "Removing the shovel from its head will release an undead demon."

THERE IS A PICTURE OF IT ABSORBING A PIKACHU INTO ITS UNDEAD DEPTHS HOLY SHIT

Knowing GameFreak, the pokedex for the sand castle is probably gonna be like: "A child drowned in the waves while playing on the beach and woke up as a [Sandcastle]." or like "Removing the shovel from its head will release an undead demon."
Swear to god, I'm going to break something if we get another stupid backstory like this.

Yeah, it is much more intriguing than some of the original Pokemon on offer. I'm a bit disappointed that after all this there is going to be a villainous team again - and Team Skull is such a boring name. I mean, they never are really, but still :p

Team Skull is just the Japanese name. The English one will probably be much better.

Like "Team Skeleton"

Funnily enough, they are not the first group calling themselves Team Skull in the Pokémon franchise. Anyway, doesn't the new leader have a different design compared to the other team leaders?

Like one of those roaming legendaries, a wild chaos_Leader appears! I'm not dead, I'm even reading/writing/reviewing again!

As far as team Skull goes, I guess you could say they're 'bad to the bone.' ;)

Anyone else get really bummed out when they post something on FF.net or some other site, only to find it's gotten no response whatsoever? Like, you can see that people have read it or at least looked at it but you have no idea whether they actually liked it or not.

I find it the most maddening thing about putting any sort of content online. I have no idea if what I put up was good or not.

Anyone else get really bummed out when they post something on FF.net or some other site, only to find it's gotten no response whatsoever? Like, you can see that people have read it or at least looked at it but you have no idea whether they actually liked it or not.

I find it the most maddening thing about putting any sort of content online. I have no idea if what I put up was good or not.
The thing with FF.net is that it seems to be a much more review-return based system. Unless it's a smaller fandom or you manage to get some people hooked into your story (though regular reviewers sometimes are the least helpful on there as they kind of just summarise the chapter instead of adding to it), people tend to only review if you review them first. I may be wrong, but that seems to be the case from my perspective - and even that is a bit risky. Generally FF.net Pokemon stories only get attention, as we have discussed many times here in the past so we probs don't need to start another anti-FF.net thing in full, if they have the core favourites on that site of shipping, aura, anime/Ash fics or PMD or some combination of them. It is disappointing that the biggest place for fan fiction is dominated by pre-conceived notions, but you can only keep posting and hope for the best.

It rather creates a nasty side-effect of reviewers that insist on being superior, condescending or just plain rude, and justify it on the basis that the author is jolly lucky to get a review at all. I frankly don't care if a reviewer is delivering some constructive criticism among all that, a jerk is still a jerk

The thing with FF.net is that it seems to be a much more review-return based system. Unless it's a smaller fandom or you manage to get some people hooked into your story (though regular reviewers sometimes are the least helpful on there as they kind of just summarise the chapter instead of adding to it), people tend to only review if you review them first. I may be wrong, but that seems to be the case from my perspective - and even that is a bit risky. Generally FF.net Pokemon stories only get attention, as we have discussed many times here in the past so we probs don't need to start another anti-FF.net thing in full, if they have the core favourites on that site of shipping, aura, anime/Ash fics or PMD or some combination of them. It is disappointing that the biggest place for fan fiction is dominated by pre-conceived notions, but you can only keep posting and hope for the best.

I think this is the case for some parts of FF.net but in my own experience the majority of reviews I receive come from people whose stories I haven't even read, let alone commented on. Granted, I'm hardly drawing big numbers. My most "successful" story in that regard was an A Certain Magical Index one-shot I wrote which got 7 reviews, probably because it was kinda shippy. The recent fic I put up (which isn't a Pokemon one) is more of a character study than anything, so I don't know how well those do generally. I understand it might not necessarily tick the boxes for people but still, it's disheartening.

I do have a Pokemon fic in the wings that I could upload but I'm not sure it'll be worth it now, because it's not a shipping story, nor is it an anime rewrite/fix it fic, or a PMD fic, or even an OC trainer fic.

For the record, similar things happen when you're writing for blogs and whatnot. I could write about something that's really interesting or a little different to the norm, and my writing could be excellent, but if it's not appealing to a mass audience then good luck trying to get any worthwhile attention. It's very stifling.

It rather creates a nasty side-effect of reviewers that insist on being superior, condescending or just plain rude, and justify it on the basis that the author is jolly lucky to get a review at all. I frankly don't care if a reviewer is delivering some constructive criticism among all that, a jerk is still a jerk

See, I'm weird in that I would welcome a condescending and plain rude review because it would mean someone has had enough of a reaction to what I've written to actually respond. As long as it's something.

Back
Top Bottom