• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

I think this is the case for some parts of FF.net but in my own experience the majority of reviews I receive come from people whose stories I haven't even read, let alone commented on. Granted, I'm hardly drawing big numbers. My most "successful" story in that regard was an A Certain Magical Index one-shot I wrote which got 7 reviews, probably because it was kinda shippy. The recent fic I put up (which isn't a Pokemon one) is more of a character study than anything, so I don't know how well those do generally. I understand it might not necessarily tick the boxes for people but still, it's disheartening.

I do have a Pokemon fic in the wings that I could upload but I'm not sure it'll be worth it now, because it's not a shipping story, nor is it an anime rewrite/fix it fic, or a PMD fic, or even an OC trainer fic.

For the record, similar things happen when you're writing for blogs and whatnot. I could write about something that's really interesting or a little different to the norm, and my writing could be excellent, but if it's not appealing to a mass audience then good luck trying to get any worthwhile attention. It's very stifling.
That's the same with me. 8ES has over 300 reviews for 109 chapters, but the majority of those come from about two people. One of my stories on there is about my second or third most reviewed and pretty much all its reviews come from one person. Looking for satisfaction from reviews, on FF.net of all places, is not a healthy way to go about writing. Write because you want to and post what you want to, try and read the stories that interest you, and hope for the best. Unless you write something that panders to what the people there want, you aren't going to get many reviews, and you kind of have to accept it if you plan on posting there. It's not nice, but it's the truth

So the new S&M trailer seems to imply Cubone will magically change type in evolution, which is odd, to say the least.

New English trailer:

OK, Team Skull is starting to win me over, at least they look way more interesting than Team Flare.

Team Skull looks like a significant regression. They seem like they'd be more in place in Gens II or III, conceit-wise.

I realised today I have the full collection of Pokemon BW movies on DVD, so having nothing else to do, I decided to have a little marathon.

Five hours later, I am regretting my entire existence.

After replaying the main story of Pokken Tournament a few days ago I gain gained the inspiration to write my first pokemon fanfic. I just can't decide on the last three of my oc's pokemon team.
  • Sneasel, Pawniard or Metocham
  • Flareon, Glaceon, Vaporeon, or Leafeon
  • Flygon, Staraptor, or Altaria

After replaying the main story of Pokken Tournament a few days ago I gain gained the inspiration to write my first pokemon fanfic. I just can't decide on the last three of my oc's pokemon team.

Little questions like this generally belong in the General Writing Questions thread, but telling someone off is a shitty way of welcoming them to the forum... so!

Hi! Welcome to the Workshop!

The first one's tough. They're all cool relatively underused Pokemon. I'd say either Pawniard or Medicham. Of the Eeveelutions, I think Flareon and Leafeon don't get much love, so one of them would be cool. Flygon's one of my favorites, but it's fairly popular, while Altaria is a cool one that I don't see used a lot.

Welcome to Bulbagarden's Writers Workshop. I'd recommend Sneasel, Vaporeon and Flygon, should give you a nice spread of Ice/Dark, Water and Ground/Dragon (providing Type-matchups are a thing for your OC, since I don't think Pokkén had such).

Surreal moment just now: saw a TV ad - on the Disney XD channel no less - for the brand new Pokemon games! . . . Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, that is.

Not only have I never seen a TV spot for a Pokemon game before, but they're also just a liiiittle bit late on that one. I thought it was a Pokemon GO ad at first, but that would've made too much sense.

I was also playing AS at the time for extra giggles.

Last edited:
So in the lieu of new info for Sun/Moon...

"Team Skull has a bone to pick with you"? I'm trying to STOP making the stupid Undertale jokes. (Seriously, I keep calling Alolan Exeggutor Lesser Egg.)

Surreal moment just now: saw a TV ad - on the Disney XD channel no less - for the brand new Pokemon games! . . . Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, that is.

Not only have I never seen a TV spot for a Pokemon game before, but they're also just a liiiittle bit late on that one. I thought it was a Pokemon GO ad at first, but that would've made too much sense.

I was also playing AS at the time for extra giggles.
Wow, TV commercials for Pokemon games, haven't seen one of those in almost 20 years. I still remember the original Gold/Silver ones, and how hyped I was for them. I actually shouted out, "Oh my god, I want the owl!" while I was at the dinner table, much to my father's dismay.

Yeah, Disney channel ain't what it used to be. I was only watching because Phineas and Ferb was on, and sometimes I watch Kim Possible at weird hours of the morning.

I think if I watched any of the old Disney sitcoms that I used to watch now, like That's So Raven or Suite Life, I wouldn't be able to sit through more than a few minutes without cringeing :p

Back
Top Bottom