• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I got some ideas for some background story, but I don't want things becoming too complicated. Think I prefer expanding on already existing characters rather than creating unique lores in the Pokémon world though. I personally got some ideas for Zinnia and why she infiltrated Team Magma and/or Team Aqua rather than what we learned from the games for example. But that's a bit far into the future at the moment.

What do you guys think about introducing new, original moves to an original character's Pokémon? Just, I'm considering having an Aerodactyl with a character who develops "Meteor Impact", basically Fly with an added Rock-type offense where it takes to the sky, launches itself in the direction of the opponent, then folds its wings in to streamline itself. It'd have recoil damage if Aerodactyl didn't have Rock Head.

My point is, though, that despite specific moves being taught, they change per generation, so perhaps the movesets aren't what Pokémon are limited to and more what the Trainer is limited to...

Isn't that what the anime did. The anime was never really limited to the moves in the game. Combo moves, or hybrid moves aren't original until you give them a new name like the example you just gave with Aerodactyl. In the end it's all about creativity.

On the other hand - and just like the anime - move types rely just as much on the pokemon's type and strength. So a Fly from an Aerodactyl is the same as a Fly from an Altaria.

The move is more akin to flying up and dropping like a rock on them after the intial push with the wings versus Fly which is flying up and tackling them from a distance, where they'd still be moving their wings to push forward throughout and to soften the impact (hence why it doesn't hurt, but Meteor Impact would) when the move hit it's mark.

New moves are certainly something I'd be interested in. I guess the only hard part is making sure that every move isn't overpowered and stuff.

And if it's powerful, be sure to include some drawbacks. Like I said, Meteor Impact would hurt Aerodactyl if Rock Head wasn't in play. I intend for that to come into play at some point.

You'll probably find out one day, once I get writing.
vzWDF9d.jpg

Edit: Replace "draw" with "write".

That image accurately sums me up, but with any sort of work period. I've been waaaaay too procrastinatey as of late.

Are we sure we're in the right area for this? Shouldn't we call this place 'Procrastinators Place'?

(I wanted to make a better alliteration, but I got lazy...)

Nice, though I would recommend using shapes for guiding your artwork and not drawing lines in one go, use strokes like you're painting. And Redgigigas there is a bit too bright red, try going for a slightly darker shade of red.

Back
Top Bottom