• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I hated Mawile before - such an ugly design that I actually thought was kind of creepy when R/S first came out. But now I used one in X/Y and am thinking about having a Mawile for a character in a one-shot I'm coming up with. *shrug* I also was obsessed with Pichu as a kid, and now I don't care at all, so it can go the other way around, I guess. XD

Good day to those of you who remember me! I'm back... I think. Carry on, I shall have some poetry up soon in a new thread, and some short stories I think, as well. ^_^

Welcome back Vivillion.

Do you think the games will adapt Lucario's Aura Storm from the Super Smash Bros. series of games as a Z-Move in Sun and Moon? I mean, Pikachu and Eevee are getting one, so why not?

Alola must have a huge mosquito problem

happy-ba-dum-tss-l.png

I'll tell you a real trial: watching Danganronpa 3 - Side: Hope. I suppose endings to big series can never really be satisfying, but damn that was... how boring... That's all I'll say on the matter unless people don't mind spoilers.

I enjoyed this weeks Pokémon Generations much more than the previous ones. I hope they keep going like this.

How do you guys usually write your chapters or episodes? Do you make it up as you go along or use an outline?

I've touched on it before, and also explained how I keep my notes. Not much has changed since then, except maybe putting more effort into description before moving onto dialogue.

Anyways, I must confess something. I haven't written anything in practically two weeks, not even my assignments for my local writing group meetups, but I feel like it's coming back to me. With October rolling around the corner, I want to work on a horror/dark spin off mini-series of Storm Island (8 chapters, maybe?), but I also need to get back to work on the main story. Kinda conflicted on what to work on.

I also don't know whether to split off the Rocket arc that's going on into its own little spinoff, since that's going to get kinda big and really has nothing to do with what's going on in the main plotline, but I did that with poor Kamin and he was never heard from again.

sigh, this story is such a mess

Try getting another writer to assist you with the stories by dealing with the offshoots while you deal with the main branch? Make sure you can trust 'em, though.

Making it up as you go along is, in my opinion, the very worst way to write. You can usually tell when someone's done that, because more often than not the pacing is off and the story quickly runs into plotholes.

I've mentioned the way I do it before, and can't find the post again, so in brief: I have Part, Arc, and Chapter outlines that hammer out the main points of the story and the pacing. I use quite extensive chapter notes, the whole thing planned out in bullet points, since that way it's harder to lose track of where you're going with a scene during a difficult spell. As far as I understand it, a lot of the planning and pacing and so forth that most people do while getting words down on page I do in the outline stage. So I rarely scrap much more than a sentence from the draft, but ideas get changed in the planning notebook all the time

Try getting another writer to assist you with the stories by dealing with the offshoots while you deal with the main branch? Make sure you can trust 'em, though.
That's the thing, I can't trust anyone with my darling child. I'd have to give them a two week seminar on background lore before I'd feel comfortable doing that.

I don't know, Sam, given that you've got a big video game project and professional aspirations I think you might have to just bite the bullet and accept that staying disciplined on the main story is the best you can realistically do

Back
Top Bottom