• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Decidueye.... my word....

Popplio, I'm sorry. I still love you, I promise, but...

DECIDUEYE IS SO REFINED AND DIGNIFIED! Move over, Snivy, we've got a new contender for the name of "smugleaf!" Ahhhhh I love it! faints

recovers from fainting, hastily scribbling note to have Decidueye appear in his fic, then faints again.

Last edited:
Decidueye.... my word....

Popplio, I'm sorry. I still love you, I promise, but...

DECIDUEYE IS SO REFINED AND DIGNIFIED! Move over, Snivy, we've got a new contender for the name of "smugleaf!" Ahhhhh I love it! faints

recovers from fainting, hastily scribbling note to have Decidueye appear in his fic, then faints again.
Don't expect mouth to mouth XD

I'll admit, it's now a contest between grass and water starter Pokémon for me. I like the whole Little Mermaid theme going on there with Primarina personally.

is brought back to consciousness from Instrutilus

I do apologize. Just the sight of that amazing, glorious, wonderful, awe-inspiring owl seemed to have made me a bit... over excited. xD

But yes, I very much like it. Primarina kind of disappointed me, mostly because I was kind of expecting a more circus-y vibe considering its first two forms, but then it just turned into a mermaid. Oh well. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Incineroar is... interesting. Yeah, I'm going with Rowlet now. I'm sorry, Popplio, I loved you too, but... your friend turned into that handsome devil and I just couldn't resist!

(I'm seriously going to put Decidueye in my fic now. It's going to happen. xD)

Y'know, with Pokémon Sun and Moon around the corner, I'm tempted to go back through Gens I to V and complete the Pokédexes of each after I beat Pokémon Sun (I've already finished Gen VI). If only I could commentate, I'd stream it for giggles, but my inability to be good at talking on my own kinda prevents that.

at least it's not another Fire/Fighting type
I'm almost certain that it was Fire/Fighting until very recently. It's got a WWE wrestling champion's belt, a wrestling stance in battle and its signature move is a common professional wrestling technique.

I have to wonder what the logic behind the National Pokédex is. I mean, Pokémon Red/Green/Blue take place at the same time as Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, yet the Johto Pokémon registered in Gold/Silver/Crystal, which happen 3 years at the same time as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, are between them. Then you have Unova Pokémon after Sinnoh Pokémon, despite the Alolan Pokémon being much closer and apparently frequented by Kanto people, so you'd expect that to be the focus of Pokédex long before Unova and Kalos were.

I have to wonder what the logic behind the National Pokédex is. I mean, Pokémon Red/Green/Blue take place at the same time as Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, yet the Johto Pokémon registered in Gold/Silver/Crystal, which happen 3 years at the same time as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, are between them. Then you have Unova Pokémon after Sinnoh Pokémon, despite the Alolan Pokémon being much closer and apparently frequented by Kanto people, so you'd expect that to be the focus of Pokédex long before Unova and Kalos were.
It's called convenience. They're obviously in the order that the games were released. In-universe, there's absolutely no logic behind it. :/

Also, Generations ep. 10 seems completely pointless...

Well, if anything it makes it obvious that it was, indeed, the butler whom killed the residents of the Old Chateau, by poisoning their food going by his reaction to their lack of, y'know, dying after 'eating'.

Yeah, but I'd like to know the in-universe reasoning behind it. Unless National Pokédexes are just considered non-canonical...

ORAS adds them after you beat the Primal, doesn't it?

I wonder how other writers handle it.

As for me, I'd usually include the Pokédex as a device that's been completed already, and you can access any Pokémon.

Except for the special times where someone is specifically called to go fill up the 'dex or whatever.

I don't see that there has to be a logic behind the 'dex. It's not a matter of systematics, after all - within each regional 'dex the numbering is mostly arbitrary, so it doesn't really matter where each regional 'dex is in relation to on another.

If I were to try and come up for a reason behind it, I'd probably have the "National" Pokédex as a name that's no longer accurate, the "National" referring to Kanto and Johto, that has since been expanded to be an international numbering system. Though that just begs the question of why a standardised numbering system would be important or useful

But wouldn't the Kanto-Johto numerical system use the 'New Pokédex' numerical system from GSC? Since it places all the Baby Pokémon with their evolutions and seems more thought out.

Honestly, I'm tempted to avoid the National Pokédex numerical altogether and just have the Regional Pokédexes as the systems used, such as the Hoenn Pokédex citing Bulbasaur as "Kanto Pokédex #001" or Tepig "Unova Pokédex #004" when the 'National Pokédex' function is used. Even then, the numbers of the regional Pokédexs would shift around as background events take place (the Nidorans are still being debated by the scientific community as to whether they should merge the enteries, rename one or both of them to distinguish them better or simply leave it as is. This will never come up in the stories, beyond a few mentions if the news report comes on when they're nearby and some progress has been made on the stalemate) and new evolutions are discovered, so Pikachu would be "Kanto Pokédex #026", with Pichu taking it's #025 place.

Well, what you really have is something like systematics pre-Linnaeus. If you want a reason as to why it's survived, then the simple answer would be something like a) Linnaean names for pokémon would render any scientific value from numbers obsolete and b) Numbering doesn't give any more information than to assign an international standard ID to each species - so it doesn't really matter what the numbers are, so long as they're consistently agreed upon

BULBASAUR OAK'S FAVORITE CONFIRMED
That actually explains a lot, such as keeping Ash's Bulbasaur around to prevent fights and all that.

Or just... the ordering is arbitrary and based on which games came out first? I mean, why on earth would they remake the national dex for every new release? It's a pain in the ass. It's easier to just leave it as is, because it's already quite pointless. There is no rhyme or reason beyond "this game was released after the others, just slap the new ones after the old ones."

Back
Top Bottom