• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

A big issue with the game is framerate. Much, my Wishiwashi, would sometime tank the framerate when Schooling kicked in. It got worse with SOS Battles.

I want to submit something, but I doubt I'll have enough written by the deadline for it to really matter, especially at my current rate of production.

Very well, I'll double my efforts to get something done by the nomination period.

Keep in mind that double of nothing is still nothing.

I'm still finding errors as I'm rereading parts of Storm Island for inspiration/notes, even chapters I've edited several times since publishing them. I think it's a problem if being familiar with your own story, so you sort of auto-pilot over some of the wordier bits, which is where the errors are more likely to hide.

The benefits of OCD. I read as I'm typing and make sure there's no mistakes. Added bonus, I don't need the screen to read as I type, it's all mental.

I usually do a thorough read-through before each Awards ... which tends to just show up how I change my standard form of spelling and the like over the course of a year without realising it.

"Drily" or "Dryly" ... and now I have to go through the whole text and my .doc files to edit for consistency

About how long on average does it take for someone to review your story?

Depends on the story. It's been rather quiet in the Workshop for a while in any case.

However. It's a different kind of reviewing environment here. On ff.net you sit back and wait to see if the reviews roll in. Here most readers are also authors - I doubt there's much traffic from the rest of the forum, for a start. Generally I've noticed that people who are likely to do some reading and reviewing of their own are more likely to gather attention than authors who drive-by publish a chapter once every so often

Beth is correct. We do have the mentality of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" around here when it comes to reviewing stories.

Random thought,

I was kind of expecting to battle Lusamine herself when she merged with UB-01

Well I can safely say that SOS Battles are the worst part of Pokémon Sun and Moon. I've leveled up my Level 70 (now 72) Wishiwashi on one Level 30 Elekid that would not stop summoning other Elekids as I was trying to catch it.

I really hate summon mechanics in RPGs. I'm reminded of a time back in Dragon Quest III where I encountered a group of two of those mud hand monsters. Before I was able to kill either of them, they both summoned more mud hands. The next round, I killed the original two, but one of the new ones summoned another, and the other summoned a titan statue. Titan statues are really dangerous and have to be killed as quick as possible, so I spent all of my effort on taking it out while the mud hands just continued to swarm endlessly, while summoning another titan statue every now and then. I fought for what felt like twenty minutes, draining my entire magic and item reserves as I struggled to keep alive and cut through the horde. Eventually I had to run, as my healer and caster had been killed and there were still eight monsters to deal with, three of which were the dreaded titan statues.

I didn't get any experience from that ordeal despite all of the time I invested in it, which is the part that really sucked. I was poised to go up five or six levels! I guess that's the good thing about Pokemon, as experience is granted in the middle of a battle so you can get some benefit if you end up overwhelmed. Still doesn't make the endless, chain-summoning battles any less annoying and tedious, especially since they can send you running back to the Pokecenter earlier than you'd like, or cripple you before the really tough upcoming fight.

Skies of Arcadia does the summoning thing as well. That gives you Exp. at the end, but it can still be annoying when you're about to take down a particularly stubborn foe and it summons a friend.

Back
Top Bottom