• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm curious as to how people handle crossovers. Usually I see them trying to keep everything intact and just smash both series together, like they're taking place in different places on the world, but I wonder if anyone has thought of alternate crossover ideas.

I'm curious as to how people handle crossovers. Usually I see them trying to keep everything intact and just smash both series together, like they're taking place in different places on the world, but I wonder if anyone has thought of alternate crossover ideas.
Crossovers can also work with placing one set of characters in the situation the other set of characters are in. Although this tends to ignore one set of characters and one of the plots/premises entirely. Although depending on how these are handled, sometimes people call them 'transplanted character fics'.

I actually would be kind of curious to see how other people do it.

There wouldn't really be much to show, in my case. As is (I think) fairly well-known by now, about half of my drafting is done with Prescott-style detailed notes and the other half is in the form of a handwritten draft.

I never write a prose draft in advance, though I might do the detailed plan for the next chapter at the same time as the one being written. I don't think I've ever written a prose draft non-consecutively. The reason for that is mostly so I can't skip ahead to easier scenes to procrastinate on anything I'm finding difficult, but it does help when it comes to rethinking anything in response to reviews

This post of mine shall answer your concern.

BTW, if you know any other kind, welcome to add onto the list.

So apparently Sun and Moon lack Sceptilite, which I was using for my prospective competitive team. God damn it. Hopefully whatever companion game come out for Gen VII will have it.

EDIT: ninja'd, okay, I'll have a looksie, thanks Crystal.

I have to say, I've actually been having fun with writing for the first time in ages. I think the speed at which I've been producing chapters lately speaks for itself. It used to take weeks and sometimes months now I've got something every few days. But, I'm in the honeymoon period of a new story, I guess. Shouldn't be long before production slows to a glacial pace again.

Hey, do you think it's best to iron out the plot points before working on characters, or even the story? I mean I have some ideas, but no clear plot structure right now (none for the beginning at least). Is it just best to the let the idea 'grow' or should I at least have the plot in a chronological order of sorts first?

Nine times out of ten I'd say to at least have an idea of where it'll go and what'll happen to get there. I made the mistake of trying to polish up a story that was originally written on the fly, and it's been a thorn in my side ever since.

That being said, I'd try not to think of plot and characters as separate entities. Some stories will be more or less driven by the characters, but each still inform the other

Ah! Thank you so much for the advice. Well, not sure where that leaves me. I only have some vague plot events and character traits in mind. Not enough to really start anything, perhaps not even a plan.

Well, it's all got to come from somewhere. If the idea's a kind of vague fancy maybe you might want to put it down, but if you really want to write it at some point you're going to have to sit down and fill in the gaps. Construct the skeleton. And I wish I had a third metaphor to complete the rule of three

I have an idea of writing 'In Medias Res' with at least some of the characters. Going back over earlier points later on in the story. It saves everything starting from the same point and having a bunch of characters start from the same point just rehashing everything with slightly different perspectives, in slightly different places. But if I keep going out of chronological order, the readers might get confused.

Personally I prefer to keep things simple and elegant - multiple narratives buzzing around interacting in ways that the reader really needs to stop and think about to follow seem to be more fun for the author to write than the audience to read. George Martin deals with the perspective problem well by simply subtitling each chapter with the point of view character

Subtitling is a fine way to go.
It's more about the possible time jumps confusing the audience. I imagine each of the characters will have a different style (not too different, but noticeably). The characters might also title the chapters in different ways, but I am also likely to subtitle.
Again, it's much more the idea of time getting jumbled, rather than characters. I don't want the reader getting lost as to the plot timeline.

I have an idea of writing 'In Medias Res' with at least some of the characters. Going back over earlier points later on in the story. It saves everything starting from the same point and having a bunch of characters start from the same point just rehashing everything with slightly different perspectives, in slightly different places. But if I keep going out of chronological order, the readers might get confused.

That kind of sounds like a Roshamon scenario: a small number of characters each offering their own perspectives on a given event, each perspective having wildly different implications. Then again, Roshamon only focused on one single event, and wasn't part of something larger.

That kind of sounds like a Roshamon scenario: a small number of characters each offering their own perspectives on a given event, each perspective having wildly different implications. Then again, Roshamon only focused on one single event, and wasn't part of something larger.
I am aware of what Roshamon is, for the most part I don't think it would be that, since the events take part in totally different regions. The 'Roshamon' will only occur with two specific characters (mostly) because they are travel companions at the start of the story.
Although the other characters, from different regions will likely meet with them at one point.

My dad and I are both Scrooges who have come to hate Christmas - we'd have it start no more than a week beforehand if we had our way. Certainly this year I doubt we'll have a tree up (Hate live trees as well, come to that) till at least next week

We just about managed to remember to put the tree up on the 24th last year.

Back
Top Bottom