• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

If I had $200 to drop on a black lace dress or proper combat boots, I'd have probably moved on by now.

"combat boots" or Combat Boots?

For one, the kind of boots (at least actual military issue or work boots) that are robust enough and comfortable enough to withstand the rigors and daily punishment we put them through do tend to cost $200+ and are well worth it. I've got a nice pair of Danners that I've been wearing over a year now, and are still just as good as the day I got them (if a little broken in) despite how much I put them through with ship life. I also used to have a pair of US Army Infantry-issue jungle boots from the military surplus store, which held up for over five years before the sole finally wore away too much to use. I wouldn't recommend these kinds of boots for fashion alone, since they are pricey and tend to look rather drab, unless you're reeeally into drab. They are super comfy and super sturdy however, which has always been my #1 and #2 concern when it comes to things I wear.

Sorry, bit of a fashion rant. It's just one of those things I get weird about, when it's a fashion boot vs. a functional boot.

I think the boots I'm looking at are more form than function. They're mainly to put the finishing touches on an outfit I've been trying to put together for ~6 months, something to wear for fun or in casual situations where I don't expect to put a few miles on them. However, I do have proper boots for tough jobs and rough terrain that I've abused towards silliness over the past 9 years, and they're still in one piece... mostly. They're not going anywhere until my toes start to poke out of them... could be a couple more years on those bad boys.

Anyone heard of Havianas, Brasilian sandals. I believe American call those floppy flips.

Close - flip-flops

*shudder Don't talk to me about boots. I love having a good pair of boots, but the workboots I've had to wear at M&S have been the worst I've ever worn. Ugg Boots would have been more fit for purpose (Have I complained about this before? It feels like I have). I would donate them, now I don't need them any more, but I don't know, I almost feel embarrassed giving away rubbish like this

Work uniforms are awkward. I work what is essentially two jobs in one (waiter + dishwasher). I'm supposed to be wearing nice formal shoes when serving customers, but most anything suitable for front of house is gonna send me skidding straight onto my butt as soon as I step into the kitchen, so I have to wear grippy trainers and deal with the informality. :S I'm also wearing a hat and apron that take too long to take off/put on every time I go back and forward, so I might be the scruffiest waiter in existence...

In Curitiba I also work as wait. That means in English that you bring food. Correct? I do not like this job because people sometimes rude.

Yes, garçom I think. My job's a little unusual because it's at a retirement home rather than a proper restaurant. The biggest problem is usually people forgetting what they ordered...

Well, I can safely say that while I have grown tolerant of the SOS Battle mechanic, as in I hate it but it's still there, so eh, I absolutely despite the Battle Royal Dome. I've lost count how many times the AI suddenly grew a vendetta and just began targeting my Pokémon constantly.

Once I can transfer up my 'competitive' team, I'm going to wipe them out. All of them.

Work uniforms are awkward.
Christ, I hated mine when I worked in the kitchen. I was usually the one in charge of the fryer (since everyone else either refused to work with it, or had no experience), but because our uniform was a crappy polo shirt with sleeves that didn't even make it halfway down the upper arm, my skin started to look wartorn after awhile from all of the burns I was getting. I dared to wear a longer shirt under it and got reprimanded for it.

Kinda glad I don't work there anymore, even though I've been hopelessly jobless since.

because our uniform was a crappy polo shirt with sleeves that didn't even make it halfway down the upper arm

Hello did you work there before me? That's my uniform exactly. Ugh. At least I'm not getting burned because I'm not cooking, just serving and washing up, but it's still an awful garment.

It always seems like waitressing is a job that everyone goes through...except for me at least. I think the most stressful job I can remember having is when I helped a family friend clean apartments fo a while when I was 14.

Mine is more stressful. :D

I know I probably shouldn't feed the troll, but... I'm actually curious of what qualifies as a 'good story'. Of all the pokemon-focused fanfiction forums I've visited, this one has consistently had the highest quality content out of all of them, even if it's a little slower than the rest. And the fact that oddball stories that break the stereotypical mold don't get buried or denounced instantly is nice.

Eeeh, I'm inclined to say investigate what happened with The Wordsmith there. I've had someone I knew hijack one of my forum accounts and say silly things.

Fair point there

I'm actually curious of what qualifies as a 'good story'.

It's one of those things that will forever be on some level subjective, I think. This overlaps with stylistics (What I'm currently cursed with for the academic year), where lots of ink has been spilled trying and failing to define what literature is as opposed to any other kind of writing

Back
Top Bottom