• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Well, why? It's not like you have to know everything there is to know about a species to battle with it effectively, or even to catch it. To use an analogy from our world, most people only have the spottiest idea about how canine psychology works, but this hasn't done anything to diminish the popularity of dogs as pets.

It kind of depends on what the Pokédex is for, really. The games don't really make it clear who the end user is supposed to be or what function it serves. The anime depicts it as a kind of trainers aid, in which case it would make sense for the information to be concise and non-technical (Rather like a field guide), since the average trainer isn't going to need to know a lot of in-depth information at a moment's notice

You don't need to know the physiology and animal psychology to keep a dog a pet, but you'll need it when you are a dog trainer, especially if you are going to train a dog to circus tricks, going for TV filming, enter competitions, or more professionally become a blind-guiding dog, medically trained dog for detection of some diseases, police or military trained canine for law enforcement, etc.

One doesn't need in-depth pokemon knowledge to keep pokemon as pet, but IMO it is obviously need if one is going to be a professional pokemon trainer. At least that is my headcanon.

Like I said, I've had someone I know hijack an account and say stupid stuff before. That why I suggested investigating to the best of our abilities. Still, what's done is done, I'm not going to dispute it.

Is it possible that the Wordsmith WAS Blackjack?

Just a reminder to everyone that you can vote in the User Nominated/Voted categories. We haven't had any votes so far, which is a bit disappointing as this is the opportunity for you all to help pick winners, so it would be great if even just one person could pop over to the thread and have their say :)

Today, I thought hell froze over. My mom wants a new phone. She's isn't exactly the kind of person who wants the latest tech etc.

Last edited:
My mom always wanted a smartphone, because she is still using the old retro cellphone (I called it jokingly as the "idiotphone") and it is inconvenient to call other including myself who are all using smartphones.

However, I'm 100% sure this is just casting pearls before a swine, because she can't even managed to get a grasp on how to use my phone. Despite I taught her so many times how to touch the screen (Yes! How to TOUCH THE SMARTPHONE SCREEN!), I explained to her what is this apps for and how does it work, let her play my phone as much as she wanted. But the next day, she will forget and I'll need to teach and explain again.

She don't even understand the setup page in her idiotphone, how can I feel relieved if I bought a smartphone for her? A smartphone is just too "smart" for an idiot......

Ok, so I couldn't help it. I splashed on an updated reference shelf for 2017 - Collins Thesurus 5th Edition, and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable 19th Edition, which I cannot quite believe isn't there already. Oh, and The Greeks Had a Word For That. I don't know why, since I doubt I'll be able to find a good enough excuse to use hiraeth, démerdeur, cafune, or most gloriously, physingoomai

Ahh, but it gets even better than that. Physingoomai can refer to any behaviour done to increase one's sexual appeal, that ends up having the opposite effect. Such as the girl who tries to tan herself deliciously during a British heatwave, and ends up looking rather more like an underdone sausage

So have many people been inspired by Sun and Moon to add stuff to their stories? I am thinking of finding a way to work Alola into the GVerse for a smaller, Dawn of Darkness-esque story (without the magic orbs at the end)

Not especially, if I'm honest. I've been very underwhelmed by the plot of SM, to put it mildly. I can think of how I might fit Alola into the imagined geography of The Long Verse, and quite probably I'll end up using Alolan species at some point, but beyond that I don't think I'll be using much.

The irony is that I've been using subspecies in The Long Walk for much longer than the Alola variants have been around, otherwise that'd be the first thing to adapt and expand upon

I'm interested in the location more than anything. The Ultra Beasts could play a role in the future of the GVerse, but for the story I'm thinking I'm not interested in that plot in the slightest. It kind of drags on a bit - I swear there weren't this many encounters with Grunts in the old games.

So have many people been inspired by Sun and Moon to add stuff to their stories? I am thinking of finding a way to work Alola into the GVerse for a smaller, Dawn of Darkness-esque story (without the magic orbs at the end)

Not directly, but a few things of interest, and some elements in S/M add detail to some ideas I already had in mind. Notably, environment and circumstances that can dramatically alter the capabilities of the mon (like regional variants) will ply a prominent role. Similarly with holes ripped in reality going to strange places and doing strange things. Admittedly this is not anything unique or intrinsic to S/M, but the games give some insight into how the setting handles the UB situation, as well as some possible consequences.

Aslo, being in a position where I'm working/living in Hawaii proper (on a ship there at any rate), I feel like I could potentially expand the Alola region, and include/allude to even more of the references the game makes. Most everything the game references is pretty spot-on already, even some of the apparent oddballs, but I could always add a few more.

I was talking about how I intended to indicate small evolution amongst Pokémon per region. Like Sevii Island Ponyta are smaller and have a tinted flame compared to mainland Kanto Ponyta, and Sinnoh Ponyta burn hotter by comparison. Alola just gave me a canon bias.

Incidentally, does anyone else intend to adapt on some Alola Pokémon's histories? For example, I intend to have Yungoos and Gumshoos originally Normal/Fighting-types so it could better hunt Rattata and Raticate. But over the years of being unable to hunt them rendered them lazy and they lost the Fighting-type and any such move in their movepool, while Rattata and Raticate gained the Dark-type.

I'd probably want to tidy up some of them, if it ever became an issue. Alolan Diglett, for example, doesn't make an awful lot of sense as far as the official explanation is concerned. Rattata is a bit dubious, though I suppose it makes poetic sense.

Back
Top Bottom