• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm struggling to keep a chapter from being more than double the length of the prior one. I've given up on keeping it less than double.

On the other hand, there's a lot of extraneous material in it that helps with characterization and worldbuilding, so cutting that isn't necessarily a good idea.

There's no shame with splitting a chapter in two if length justifies it. Just put like, "Chapter 11: Witty Title I" and "Chapter 11.5: Witty Title II" or something.

There's no shame with splitting a chapter in two if length justifies it. Just put like, "Chapter 11: Witty Title I" and "Chapter 11.5: Witty Title II" or something.

I am definitely going to have to do that with Chapter 3, since it's intentionally much longer than the one I'm working on now.

Well, I have my fresh idea for my new fic almost ready to begin writing.

I'm trying to preliminarily plan out the entire fic this time before I even start. Perhaps that will help the issue I normally have, where by Chapter 5 or 6, I've realized I could make the plot better than it is, but get discouraged because I'm too lazy to make the changes once it's already in progress.

I think its based on distance. For example, when I search for London (not that I ever do, since I know where specifically it is these days), I get a tiny little village in Canada rather than the actual, original London. Same thing happens with Bristol (brings up a local ski resort), Madrid (brings up a seemingly-abandoned trailer park), Rome and Riga, both being local townships.

A bit annoying, at first, but thankfully my knowledge of geography has increased exponentially since my school days. I usually know where to look.

Ugh. I hate that. Even more so since "Mohahka" is probably a town somewhere. Makes my attempts to plan trips for others somewhat laughable when I deal with it.

Reminds me, I need to look a word up, but I'm uncertain how it's spelled. Knowing my luck, it'll have the same spelling-pronunciation relationship that bologna does.

Ugh. I hate that. Even more so since "Mohahka" is probably a town somewhere. Makes my attempts to plan trips for others somewhat laughable when I deal with it.

Reminds me, I need to look a word up, but I'm uncertain how it's spelled. Knowing my luck, it'll have the same spelling-pronunciation relationship that bologna does.

Can't help you with the word, but yeah, place name spellings are annoying. I lived close to a city called Joliet most of my life, and the next city after that was Romeoville. Might as well have just kept the original spelling, as the subtly wasn't fooling anyone.

Right. So I type "Manchuria, China" into Google Earth, and where does it direct me? A bloody restaurant in Soho.

Fuck you, Google. You're all brand, no substance

I get the former Manchuria. I get London, UK, Madrid (ESP), and so on. Y'all just have whacked out searches.

Y'know what I can't help but feel would be an excellent basis for Primal Groudon in stories? The Balrog from Peter Jackson's version Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Other than the wings and the weapons, one of which isn't used anyway and the other can be replicated by moves, I could easily see it. The sheer dread of a Legendary barring down on you, the sound it makes when it roars which sounds like something from a volcano, it would be pretty sweet.

Back
Top Bottom