• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Speaking of which, here's something ironic. I have my Switch pre-ordered and paid for. The only game I intended to play would have been Breath of the Wild, which is currently sold out at my local store. Which is a moot point, since thanks to the the way the assessments have fallen I don't really have time to play it anyway

I've got the Wii U version for £49.99, because I preordered it months ago. Don't have the cash for the Switch, so...

I just spent hours hunting for a unique assault rifle design I remembered.

It turned out to be a submachine gun, and once I considered it might be one I found it inside of five minutes.

On the other hand, I now have about seven different sci-fi assault rifle designs to have show up in my fanfic. So, not a waste of time.

And to add insult to injury, while checking the source of the submachine gun, I found a similarly-styled assault rifle -.-

I just spent hours hunting for a unique assault rifle design I remembered.

It turned out to be a submachine gun, and once I considered it might be one I found it inside of five minutes.

On the other hand, I now have about seven different sci-fi assault rifle designs to have show up in my fanfic. So, not a waste of time.

And to add insult to injury, while checking the source of the submachine gun, I found a similarly-styled assault rifle -.-

I do the same thing but with Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I'll remember a card that might have an effect that would work well in my deck, spend a good few hours shuffling through all my cards, (While reminding myself that I should take a day to organize them) just to find out the effect was archetype specific or something like that. It kind of sucks, but at the same time it's enjoyable.

I finally sat down and plotted out the route numbers for my custom region... It quickly became a spaghetti mess of random numbers. I now see why Game Freak make their regions in a generally linear/circular fashion, even a master of orienteering would get lost in this mess.

That's why I have the Trainer Routes being separate, and a much more modern thing, than the road system. Kinda having it that the Trainer Route system is a consequence of modern conservation efforts.

It's also how I can justify the characters spending so much time in the wilderness in what is effectively modern Earth.

I have it so vehicles are a bit of a luxury, since Pokémon are generally more efficient and more versatile compared to vehicles that are generally designed for a single purpose. Unova enjoys them, but the 'Japan' has fairly few of them, mostly trucks for items that would be difficult to move for more than 3 Pokémon.

I prefer to think of the Route system as an administrative convenience - presumably it's going to be a lot easier to keep the most aggressive and/or dangerous pokémon under control when you know where trainers are going to be travelling in the first place (I honestly don't think they'd be that wild either, not if training pokémon was a common sport. There'd be too much money to be made in providing hostels and the like).

After a month and a few weeks of internet bandwidth shortage, I'm back, but only for a short while.

Greeting is unnecessary, because I know I'm unwelcome. Or more correctly speaking, I'm always being ignored. :cool: Yeah, so just continue to ignore me...... :sick:
(Oh no, please don't ignore me. I'm always here haunting you guys.....:notworthy: I'm an internet ghost, in many sense)

I'm guessing: Few of you in here ever saw the "rural" area in the countryside, or even go to the still-developing countries for sightseeing. Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because judging from the discussion going on in here regarding on the Pokemon topics, there alludes the generic thinking pattern of the city-bred citizens from the First-World countries. I don't know how to explain it correctly, but it is like...... bureaucratism and capitalism? May be, may be not. But that is just completely different from the people in this country I just went to during this month.

I'm guessing: Few of you in here ever saw the "rural" area in the countryside, or even go to the still-developing countries for sightseeing. Am I correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because judging from the discussion going on in here regarding on the Pokemon topics, there alludes the generic thinking pattern of the city-bred citizens from the First-World countries. I don't know how to explain it correctly, but it is like...... bureaucratism and capitalism? May be, may be not. But that is just completely different from the people in this country I just went to during this month.

Can you elaborate on this further? Most "rural" places I have been to in New Zealand tend to be fairly laid out by roads and pathways the same as cities, and the same goes for areas in Australia's northern territory and many Pacific Islands that aren't really capitalist territories. I don't think the concept of roads is exclusively first world.

I haven't left the United States in a broad enough sense to explore other countries. I've been to Canada a few times, but never ventured out into the wilderness. That said, there are a lot of rural and even 'untouched' locations in an area as old and as populated/developed as New York State. I frequently drive out to the countryside for nature walks, visiting state parks which are purposely left in their natural state, mountains which are difficult to develop and build on or swampland that's too much of a lost cause for commercial development.

These places probably aren't as 'pure' as the Tianzi mountain range in China, the Rockies of the Yukon Territory, the jungles of the Amazon Forest or the jagged passes of southeast Afghanistan, but they serve their purposes as inspiration well enough. With a little bit of first hand experience, some study from experts and a lot of imagination, one can turn their surroundings, no matter how developed or how untouched, into pristine wilderness in writing.

I just went to South Africa. Nicely constructed road are limited to cities. Once you went out of cities and far aways from urbanization, roads are poorly constructed. Well they were also asphalt roads, but some sections were even said to be unmaintained for more than 10 years.

But other than problem of the roads, you should see the slums like Alexandra in Johannesburg or Mamelodi in Pretoria. They don't have electricity nor water nor even sanitation facilities, public transport into these areas is very limited and quite expensive, yet, people still living in these places, most of them doing lower-than-national-minimum-wages job for livings.
BTW, it is said that the rural villages of China were nothing better than that. Some of them (well, in the photos shown by some photographers going to those villages) were even worse than slums of South Africa.

Countrysides of Canada and United States nor United Kingdom nor EU countries are nothing comparable to these undeveloped places, because at the very least they have the basic facilities for daily livings. But most of the places I went to during the previous month was, in one simple word, UNDEVELOPED.

Can you imagine the livelihoods of people living in such undeveloped places?

Last edited:
I don't think this has a lot to do with Pokemon routes. The regions in these games are generally shown as being quite developed/first world in nature, so it is kind of natural that our assumptions of them would be the same. I don't think your issue should really be with our view but with how the games are designed.

I'm not saying that Pokemon World should be "undeveloped" as like the Third-World countries (I was born in the city of First-World countries as well). But it is just that, accounting the overworld design of the Pokemon World that is akinned to relying more on the natural resources and many people tends to live rurally than urbanely, I tend not to align the social constructions and general public standard of Pokemon World to those cities and citizens of First-World countries, because people from First-World countries are very...... urbanized? How to say it, it lacks a sense of human wilderness where one will seems fine to survive for a day or two if toss into the wild forest.

Also, when Pokemon was developed in Japan, I will tend to align the livelihood of Pokemon World with the rural life of Japan rather than city lives of European countries.

The regions of the Pokémon world do seem to be less developed. But then, we don't really see it in a everyday sense, except through the eyes of a trainer. You can't build cities without farming, but farming is always a theme for a town in the games, for example. The way I see it, you don't see that kind of thing for the same reason you don't have to sleep or eat anything

Can't you sleep in Red/Blue? I seem to recall one of the early games allowing you to use your bed as a Pokecenter due to the town's lack of one.

Back
Top Bottom