• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Didn't that Bane more closely resemble the original comic book character than that tragedy we got in Dark Knight Rises (another bad Batman movie)?
Nope, in the comic he was intelligent enough to figure out who Batman was and proceeded to snap Batman's back. He's infamous as being the one who broke the bat.

April fools? I need to remember to buy three seashells from the craft store and put them near the toilet in the employee restroom at work tomorrow.

Every year I forget to do this.

Also, today I wrote about a man performing a cesarean section on a Sawsbuck.

Who here is excited for April Fool's day? Anyone planning a trick on anyone else?
Unfortunately, nothing this year. I spent probably the better part of the past two months writing and rewriting an April Fool's joke plot but nothing really worked out well. I have another idea, but considering I have a full day of work (10+ hours at a construction site!) on the 31st, I don't think it's happening.

Also, today I wrote about a man performing a cesarean section on a Sawsbuck.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Unfortunately, nothing this year. I spent probably the better part of the past two months writing and rewriting an April Fool's joke plot but nothing really worked out well. I have another idea, but considering I have a full day of work (10+ hours at a construction site!) on the 31st, I don't think it's happening.
I always want to do an April Fools chapter, but feel like it will always turn out like this XD

What do seashells have to do with April Fools?

It's a joke from the movie "Demolition Man", which a character from the 1990's wakes up in a future society where most of mankind lives harmoniously to the point of it being unbearable, and toilet paper has been inexplicably replaced with the use of three seashells whose function is intentionally left unexplained as a joke.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm finally getting around to revisiting my unfinished Wind & Rain fic from ye olden days when Obama was the US President and iPhones had headphone sockets.

I thought about fleshing out the relationships and history between my main human character and his Pokemon better, so I ended up having up the scene where Bounce the Deerling was born happen "on screen" via flashback.

As I did this I just had this moment like "LOL WHAT AM I WRITING" because it's supposed to be emotional, but needless to say, out of context, its an intensely weird idea.

I think the darkest thing I've ever written was a Cherubi being crushed to death under a burning branch. While narrating in first-person.

Today, I've been getting annoyed by thinking about that Fimfiction troll who harassed someone for mentioning localisation. Can someone come up with a good defence for localisation?

The best defence is also the one that won't be at all convincing. Simply put: no-one knows everything about ever culture. And if someone claims that they do, they're a damn liar.

It wouldn't take a lot of digging to come across idioms and sayings that simply don't make any sense without at least heavy translation. And I don't mean things like "Ce n'est pas le mer à boire" (It's not to drink the sea), which are fairly easy to work out. You don't even have to go outside English to find these - show me an American who can figure out that "the dog's bollocks" means "Good, first rate, excellent".

That's not even going into symbols that have completely different meanings and connotations across cultures. In European culture the snake connotes danger, slyness, evil, going back further than the serpent of Genesis to the Greeks with the Gorgons. In India they're a fertility symbol. That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are better examples.

@Beth Pavell I'm English and I've never heard anyone say "good, first rate, excellent" in my entire life.

The troll in question basically said that anything less than a direct translation is disrespecting the foreign audiences. I'd direct them to Legends of Localisation, but...
A) I stopped going on Fimfiction.
B) I don't want to go digging for that thread.
C) I don't want them to harass Clyde Mandelin.

Back
Top Bottom