• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

@SuperTrainStationH Wait, what political undertones in the Zoroark movie?
Also, you mentioning the movie's version of Central Park reminds me of Detective Pikachu.

Also also, I'm making another video about video game boxarts. Any ideas? (My rule for videos where I talk about a lot of things: the most well-known one goes on the thumbnail.)

@SuperTrainStationH Wait, what political undertones in the Zoroark movie?
Also, you mentioning the movie's version of Central Park reminds me of Detective Pikachu.

Also also, I'm making another video about video game boxarts. Any ideas? (My rule for videos where I talk about a lot of things: the most well-known one goes on the thumbnail.)

The movie is a rather explicit Aesop about the manipulation of media messages to deceive the public, if not a greater criticism of corporate control of the "mainstream media", with that phrase literally being uttered in the movie by the Movie Companion Character, Karl, who according to something I saw somewhere which may or not be accurate was said by someone related to the production of those films to flat out be based on Micheal Moore.

The introduction of the sport of "Pokemon Boccer" into the anime universe specifically for the purpose of this film as being something the heroes watch on television at the beginning of the movie also suggests the use of entertainment such as commercial sporting events to distract the public from more serious issues, and I don't think I'm reaching here as this is literally the basis for the 13th movie's plot, and the villain himself discusses this.

Also, Detective Pikachu better be good.

Last edited:
The movie is a rather explicit Aesop about the manipulation of media messages to deceive the public, if not a greater criticism of corporate control of the "mainstream media", with that phrase literally being uttered in the movie by the Movie Companion Character, Karl, who according to something I saw somewhere which may or not be accurate was said by someone related to the production of those films to flat out be based on Micheal Moore.

The introduction of the sport of "Pokemon Boccer" into the anime universe specifically for the purpose of this film as being something the heroes watch on television at the beginning of the movie also suggests the use of entertainment such as commercial sporting events to distract the public from more serious issues, and I don't think I'm reaching here as this is literally the basis for the 13th movie's plot, and the villain himself discusses this.

Also, Detective Pikachu better be good.

That makes it funny, given that Michael Moore himself has been caught multiple times using manipulation of media messages to deceive the public.

I wasn't fooled much yesterday, unlike last year, where I felt really gullible.

Recently I've been wondering how one could do "it is dehumanising" in other languages, but I'm worried that musing about it might open a can of worms.

Well, back to the old banner (Sorry @Arkadelphiak)
...But not the old forum titles. Yet.

Let me rephrase my previous post: how do you do "it is dehumanising" in languages with masculine/feminine grammatical gender? And how do other languages do it, regardless of grammar structure, for that matter? I'm genuinely curious.

Couldn't watch Dragonball Z or Family Guy because Cartoon Network trolled all their viewers for the weekend. I never really thought my birthday being so close to April Fool's would be annoying, but, hey, there's a first time for everything. 8) First world problems, I know.

Couldn't watch Dragonball Z or Family Guy because Cartoon Network trolled all their viewers for the weekend. I never really thought my birthday being so close to April Fool's would be annoying, but, hey, there's a first time for everything. 8) First world problems, I know.
Actually, that was probably the only April Fools joke over the past few years I genuinely enjoyed. The voice modulation was a little annoying, but I did like the canned laugh tracks that were added in at the end of long pauses in dialogue. The googly eyes they added to the cartoons that ran during the day were pretty good, too.

I may have found the most insane defence of obsessively correct grammar yet:

"The overthrow of grammar coincided with the acceptance of the equivalent of creative writing in social behaviour. As nice [I presume this is used in the archaic sense of "accurate"] points of grammar were mockingly dismissed as pedantic and irrelevant, so was punctiliousness in such matters as honesty, responsibility, property, gratitude, apology, and so on."

Just goes to show that reality is unrealistic - that could be my character of Miss Witherspoon speaking.

I may have found the most insane defence of obsessively correct grammar yet:

"The overthrow of grammar coincided with the acceptance of the equivalent of creative writing in social behaviour. As nice [I presume this is used in the archaic sense of "accurate"] points of grammar were mockingly dismissed as pedantic and irrelevant, so was punctiliousness in such matters as honesty, responsibility, property, gratitude, apology, and so on."

Just goes to show that reality is unrealistic - that could be my character of Miss Witherspoon speaking.
What's up with that S?

I'd take some issue with the history in that video - it implies that the variety of English is down to invasion. I'd argue that it's got as much to do with immigration.

I've found myself in a kind of middle ground these days. I will still insist that context does an awful lot of the heavy lifting of grammar, and that - have I said this recently, I probably have - the grammatical flexibility of English is what makes it so useful as a language. However, I can't find myself siding with the Stephen Fry side of the spectrum, insisting that any kind of new language use is wonderful and fantastic on the basis that "language is always evolving"

I'd take some issue with the history in that video - it implies that the variety of English is down to invasion. I'd argue that it's got as much to do with immigration.

I've found myself in a kind of middle ground these days. I will still insist that context does an awful lot of the heavy lifting of grammar, and that - have I said this recently, I probably have - the grammatical flexibility of English is what makes it so useful as a language. However, I can't find myself siding with the Stephen Fry side of the spectrum, insisting that any kind of new language use is wonderful and fantastic on the basis that "language is always evolving"
He has 17 linguistics videos in total, if you're interested.

I don't like how in Greek loanwords, "F" is rendered as "PH". No transliteration system is absolutely consistent, especially ones of alphabets, so what's up with that? =/

Back
Top Bottom