• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Tradition, really. Welsh has a much more consistent system, which is why Welsh speakers are more literate earlier on in life than English speakers. After having studied this kind of linguistics for a year, I'm inclined to say that there's not much point in revising English spelling. Even if you could do it without anyone complaining, accents sink the whole logic of it entirely. Grass as in ass. Grass as in arse.

Tradition, really. Welsh has a much more consistent system, which is why Welsh speakers are more literate earlier on in life than English speakers. After having studied this kind of linguistics for a year, I'm inclined to say that there's not much point in revising English spelling. Even if you could do it without anyone complaining, accents sink the whole logic of it entirely. Grass as in ass. Grass as in arse.
I once saw a book about learning Welsh in a gift shop, but it was well below my age range.

Last edited:
Do you think it's possible for a human to become a UB in the Pokemon World (as in a human transformed into a Pokemon, like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?)

Do you think it's possible for a human to become a UB in the Pokemon World (as in a human transformed into a Pokemon, like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?)

I think it's possible, sure. The idea even seems to have some canonical merit to it. There's the popular theory of some UBs strongly resembling characters like Lillie and Lusamine in appearance, after all. And I know the pokedex isn't reliable by any means, but their entries match their human counterpart's personality as well.

He has 17 linguistics videos in total, if you're interested.

I don't like how in Greek loanwords, "F" is rendered as "PH". No transliteration system is absolutely consistent, especially ones of alphabets, so what's up with that? =/

Tradition.

My English teacher in high school argued it was because the two spellings once represented two different, but very similar, sounds. Over time, as English simplified and lost a lot of its dead weight, the two sounds merged into one. There's a number of words, such as mail and male, where that works as an acceptable explanation. It also explains some other very strange early oddities of transliteration.

What makes it funny is that "ass" and "arse" are actually the same exact word, just spelled two different ways :p

The one thing I find interesting in studying linguistics, and which I think does necessitate the need to change wordings and spellings, is how words change in definition. And how much, as you said, contextual clues form the actual meaning.

For example, "bemuse." Does it mean "confused," "wry amusement," or "entertained?" Or, as in the original sense, "inspired?"

I think how you write should very much be bemused by how long you expect your works to be readable. Conciseness is your enemy if you want people to still understand your work in one or two hundred years, but fanfiction is a different beast ;)

Last edited:
Is Salazzle becoming an overused Pokemon since it's introduction? Do you think it would make a good protagonist for a PMD fic, for example?
There are just so many choice, it's difficult to pick who it should be.

800 pages! I can't believe it - and just over five years to get it here! I doubt that @Gama ever thought it would get this far. Keep on chatting people - let's see how long it takes to get another 800! :p

Whenever I happen to log on here I am in disbelief that it is the same thread I started 5 (!?) years ago. I think I would have felt the same if you'd told me then!

I remember the glory years here and look back fondly. Not saying it's not great, still, but man, it's crazy to think how long I've been a member here.

The one thing I find interesting in studying linguistics, and which I think does necessitate the need to change wordings and spellings, is how words change in definition. And how much, as you said, contextual clues form the actual meaning.

I prefer to think of it less in terms of changing meanings so much as gaining senses (Or definitions, to use the non-technical term)

I remember late Gen 4 Bulbapedia, when 491 Pokémon had appeared in the anime, type-changes were uncommon enough to warrant an entire section on the two relevant Pokémon's pages, and I used to browse through the articles of Gen 5 Pokémon with no English names on my DSi, only getting glimpses of their sprites.

Is Salazzle becoming an overused Pokemon since it's introduction? Do you think it would make a good protagonist for a PMD fic, for example?
There are just so many choice, it's difficult to pick who it should be.
For future reference, questions like that are better suited for the Plot Bunny Zoo or General Writing Questions :)

Whenever I happen to log on here I am in disbelief that it is the same thread I started 5 (!?) years ago. I think I would have felt the same if you'd told me then!

I remember the glory years here and look back fondly. Not saying it's not great, still, but man, it's crazy to think how long I've been a member here.
Well, you are both always welcome to come back ;) I'd love to see some more legacy, if you pardon the pun, members around here - Rival Story 2.0 anyone? :p

I've recently discovered the joys of a vodka tonic with dinner. Very rarely, but I have a nice flavoured vodka that's gone mostly ignored for 18 months and paired with a cheap tonic it makes for a relaxing drink.

Hard lemonade goes well with some dinners. Hard apple cider with others.

And on the nights someone burns things, about three bottles of vodka later you don't notice the off taste.

I just saw someone mention something called "Spyro Gems Trilogy" which was recently announced, but part of me thinks it's an April Fool's joke I was late to discover.

Back
Top Bottom