• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Great pen names guys! I think if any of you win awards in July you should have those names listed on your banners ;)

I know FF.net is a cesspool, but at least there are more eyes seeing it
Just because people here don't write anime much doesn't mean they won't read it. It all depends on the quality more than the subject matter/inspiration. I post here and on FF.neT: FF more people will see it, but here you get feedback that's more than just a chapter summary or completely reactionary :p

(Also, story ideas and plot stuff goes in the Plot Bunny Zoo)

Just because people here don't write anime much doesn't mean they won't read it. It all depends on the quality more than the subject matter/inspiration. I post here and on FF.neT: FF more people will see it, but here you get feedback that's more than just a chapter summary or completely reactionary :p
Fanfiction.net is the YouTube of writing; it's the only site people use because it's the only site people care about.

I'm starting to worry that I'm annoying people by talking about things no-one cares about, but I would still appreciate help for my Porygon Problem script.

Last edited:
I always thought the Pokemon Anime works like a fanfic. Now the newest M20 is really like a Ash Ketchum Reboot fanfic I can find in FF.net. The only difference is it is written by the official staffs(read: fans), proofread and edited by a bunch of professionals, and made it public on movie screen.
Though, because sometimes I do read fanfic and I understand fanfic quality are not always bad, I hope this will becomes a qualitative one. Just hope it doesn't fall part of the 90% of Sturgeon's Law.

Fanfiction.net is the YouTube of writing; it's the only site people use because it's the only site people care about.
Well, FF.net is what it is. I only publish there so that I can count in the stats, but it is only mirrors of stuff I publish in dedicated forums, and it is pointed out as such.

(Honestly, I can barely stomach working with FF.net. Their document parser is so limited... I sometimes don't understand why did I ever care in the first place)

I'm starting to worry that I'm annoying people by talking about things no-one cares about, but I would still appreciate help for my Porygon Problem script.
Uhm... which one? The one about the Porygon ep? That's the only thing I can recall from cursory reading back, and I'm not sure what the problem with it is exactly.

Uhm... which one? The one about the Porygon ep? That's the only thing I can recall from cursory reading back, and I'm not sure what the problem with it is exactly.
Well, there's an opinion of mine that I'm not sure how to express.
The script for the video said:
It’s perfectly normal for characters to not be in adaptations, and that’s fine, because it’s usually just because the adaptors didn’t know what to do with those characters. However, Pokémon are kind of what the franchise is named after. If entire Pokémon species not appearing in the anime was a common occurrence, this wouldn’t be a problem, but it is.
(Context: I'm questioning a certain evolutionary line's absence from the anime.)
I'm sorry, I read that as Wombles Nuclear War and now it's all I can think about.
The Wombles reboot sounds great.

Well, technically the reason why Porygon is absent from the anime is because of... Pikachuwashing, victim blaming, whatever we want to call it. It was Pikachu who gave us the whole seizure thing, but the producers did not want to sacrifice the rat, so instead they said, "oh it was on the ONE episode where we had a Porygon" and well, it's all about scapegoating in favor of your cash cow. I could rant long about the subject, I think I already have somewhere, but down the line that's it, it's just scapegoating. Dunno what exactly you want to express (that there is a controversy? which one it is? what are the aftereffects of? but I'd say focus on the similarities to more current events. In fact, I would surmise the reason why the line for two later evolutions was precisely because it got otherwise ignored in the anime, so they give the games a tiny bit of "exclusive content". This becomes more relevant considering how stuff like Ash-Greninja made the inverse jump from anime to games, despite being about as controversial for other reasons.

In fact, I would surmise the reason why the line for two later evolutions was precisely because it got otherwise ignored in the anime, so they give the games a tiny bit of "exclusive content". This becomes more relevant considering how stuff like Ash-Greninja made the inverse jump from anime to games, despite being about as controversial for other reasons.
Y'know, Ash-Greninja bothers me because it looked like the anime was promoting an upcoming game feature, but it turns out that the games tied into the anime instead, and I'm worried that they'll have to shoehorn it into spinoff games and the like.

I wouldn't go with the "game-exclusive content" theory, mind...

The anime does have a weird habit of scapegoating Pokemon for the wrong reasons. I was about to say how weird the whole thing around Kadabra/Uri Geller was, but apparently the court case is still on going - 17 years!

The anime does have a weird habit of scapegoating Pokemon for the wrong reasons. I was about to say how weird the whole thing around Kadabra/Uri Geller was, but apparently the court case is still on going - 17 years!
I actually mention that in the script.
For comparison, let’s talk about another banned Pokémon, Kadabra. Kadabra’s Japanese name is Yungeller, a pun on the famous mystic Uri Geller. To cut a long story short, Uri Geller sued Nintendo of America because he believed that Kadabra was a negative depiction of his likeness. Because of this, Kadabra hasn’t appeared in the Trading Card Game since Skyridge in 2003, hasn’t appeared in the anime since AG146 Fear Factory Phony, which aired in Japan in 2005, and will still evolve when traded if it’s holding an everstone.

But I’m not bothered by that, because Kadabra’s controversy is tied to what the Pokémon inherently is. Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, on the other hand, are not inherently mass hysteria seizures.
...I still need help rewording the paragraph I quoted in a previous post, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom