• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I was stalking a Tumblr blog I knew might contain spoilers, and came across a really big spoiler for Cars 3. It was too late for me to look away. ;-;

Don't worry, I'm using the "I don't know everything" and "it' the journey that counts" rationales. And I've been trying to go on Tumblr less, and largely succeeding.

Tumblr's pretty good at sucking people in like that. :p

Also, just got back from a trip to visit family in the Midwest, and I got 10x more writing done in the car than I do at my desk. Guess I gotta take some kinda road trip every week to get stuff done.
How the hell did you do that without your innards carpeting the floor and seats? I can barely tolerate just a few seconds of reading while in a vehicle, even while applying motion sickness reduction methods.

> "How the hell did you do that without your innards carpeting the floor and seats?"

that gives a very visceral image

thank you i like those

How the hell did you do that without your innards carpeting the floor and seats? I can barely tolerate just a few seconds of reading while in a vehicle, even while applying motion sickness reduction methods.

Lmao. Oddly enough, I get motion sickness while playing first person shooter games, but not in the car whether I'm reading or not. I just relaxed and wrote with my laptop in my lap. *shrugs*

Then again, biting hurts and I run the risk of any infections... So never mind. :p

On the topic of biting, is the whole "viral" werewolf thing still a thing or are werewolf bites just painful?

Lmao. Oddly enough, I get motion sickness while playing first person shooter games
Now this I might have some advice for. If there's an FOV (field of view) slider in the options anywhere, bump it up. I don't understand the science behind it, but a restricted view can give people headaches and dizziness. For some reason, most games default to 60, despite 90 being more realistic and less problematic for the general population.

Now this I might have some advice for. If there's an FOV (field of view) slider in the options anywhere, bump it up. I don't understand the science behind it, but a restricted view can give people headaches and dizziness. For some reason, most games default to 60, despite 90 being more realistic and less problematic for the general population.

I'll try it out next time I play, if I ever do. XD I don't see the appeal in first person shooter games, but they're pretty popular so I'll probably be asked to play one again sometime, lmao.

i get motion sickness with FPSs too, though with properly paced and timed sessions i can minimize it. which is what i had to do when i wanted to play the half-lifes (because i'd seen the portals, and i wanted to get to know a classic). good games, loved em, though it really sucks that if i want to replay them after a long break i have to get used to the motion sickness again.

but i gotta say, when you first get that colt python, it truly is that classic gaming emotion™

i know that the general biology behind motion sickness is that you see your character move in first person perspective, but your acceleration sensory organs don't feel anything. the body notices the discrepancy and believes this is caused by something harmful you've eaten, so it makes you queasy to urge you to vomit it out. doing stuff in moving vehicles causes the same, but the senses are swapped.

it also makes me really wonder about the future of VR. the motion sickness aspect really makes it hard to market. i tried minecraft in VR - awful, awful. sure you've got the games that avoid the motion sickness issue completely by not having your character move without moving yourself (such as in the vive portal game, you move by walking around in your walking area or teleporting), but this won't really allow for any wondrous frolicking across green fantasy world fields or so. so we're still pretty far away from any holodeck-level technology.

speaking of which, i really wonder why star trek has such a nerd label on it. i've watched a lot of both TNG and voyager by now, and once you get past the setting it's pretty much just a normal soap opera. of course, i might just be blind to the nerdy elements because i myself am a nerd, like about everyone online (outside them normie realms like facebook and instagram) is these days.

...if you're thinking "man, this user goes on a lot of tangents", you don't even know the half of it

Last edited:
it also makes me really wonder about the future of VR. the motion sickness aspect really makes it hard to market. i tried minecraft in VR - awful, awful. sure you've got the games that avoid the motion sickness issue completely by not having your character move without moving yourself (such as in the vive portal game, you move by walking around in your walking area or teleporting), but this won't really allow for any wondrous frolicking across green fantasy world fields or so. so we're still pretty far away from any holodeck-level technology.
The thing that worries me about VR is it relying on the parallax effect, which requires two relatively good eyes in order for it to work properly. I'm partially (or rather, substantially) blind in one eye; I can still see out of it, but just barely. I haven't actually had the opportunity to try out a VR headset but I'm pretty sure it won't work effectively for me. The 3D effect on the 3DS doesn't work that well for me. I can kinda see it, but I feel like it'd be so much better if I had better vision.

While I'm happy that VR is finally getting a fair shake in today's entertainment market, I just hope that if it becomes the mainstream in the future (which I expect), traditional media doesn't fall behind for the people who aren't compatible with it. It'd suck to be 'left behind'.

speaking of which, i really wonder why star trek has such a nerd label on it. i've watched a lot of both TNG and voyager by now, and once you get past the setting it's pretty much just a normal soap opera. of course, i might just be blind to the nerdy elements because i myself am a nerd, like about everyone online (outside them normie realms like facebook and instagram) is these days.
Having asked several people this over the years, the predominate reason most people have for calling it nerdy is that there's too much talking about engineering systems and not enough shooting and blowing up the 'bad guys'. While it can get a little dry at points, that is the absolute charm of it. It's more than just a tween's wet dream, it represents a logical future of how a galaxy full of intelligent, equally-equipped life would deal with each other.

I have only tried VR once, it was a pretty low budget version at a museum, but my while I have decent sight, my eyes can get a little fuzzy when under strain and the low quality made a very unpleasant experience. I don't think I'll be rushing to try it any time soon. I'm perfectly fine with actual reality.

when i was little, i actually tried VR my dad (he's an electronics professor) made... it had a cube of whitescreens and 3D glasses. can't remember what it was like, though the graphics were made by him so probably not that amazing, lol.

often when there's some amazing new technology, he tells us how it's been known about for years but never implemented, or better, how he's come up with the idea himself but never done it...

he keeps saying people used to go "300 KB? but no one could ever need that much space!" back in the day. fun to think about

in my case, it appealed to people who happened to have the TV on at non-prime time and happened to enjoy it after watching it for a while

also, last night i had a dream i was watching an episode of voyager and commander tuvok was acting like a stereotypical black gangsta (with even a backwards cap on) as part of some kind of ruse and i just remember thinking "this is a weird ass episode even by star trek standards"

Back
Top Bottom