• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I know, right? Worst bit is, it's not even half way over yet.

Where I live (southeastern US), it pretty much starts in March and extends into mid-October. I like to say that summer and winter are locked in perpetual war; Spring and Autumn are the casualties.

ayy nordic friendo? what country

I am a US citizen, but I've traced my own lineage back a bit, and even got the genetics analyzed (or rather, my parents did and squeed about it to me). As for which countries, it's all of them, and I mean all of them.

My family name is from a Norwegian line, but included in the known ancestors are also Swedish, Danish, German, Dutch, English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish. Fun fact: because I can trace my lineage to a Scottish Clan, Clan McLeod in my case, I can totally wear Highalnd dress in the McLeod tartan pattern to formal occasions. The English folks on the forums may like this: one of my confirmed ancestors is a swell guy named Hugh le Despenser, 1st Earl of Winchester, otherwise known as a conniving scheming corrupt advisor to King Edward II.

It's a fun little curio, though I have to be a bit of a spoilsport and point out that Hugh le Despenser is probably ancestor to thousands of other people as well.

It's one of those traits of the English - and by extension, a lot of people from former imperial territories - in particular that you can find the genes of a lot of people hidden away in their DNA. I know I have African (via Jamaica) and Indian in me from one side and who the hell knows what else from the white side of the family.

"day-flying moth" sounds silly to me, given that moths are literally called "night-butterflies" in finnish

anyway, i don't know much about my lineage. i had to trace my family tree for an assignment in school once, but even then i think i only got up to grandparents' parents or grandparents. and the only non-finn there was a swede. how exotic.

nevertheless, that one ethnicity app that was the subject of memery a while ago insisted that i was mostly asian. go figure. or, well, it also said obama was mostly hispanic. credibility: very questionable

I forget who specifically, but my ancestry includes one of the Scottish clans. Supposedly, I'm also related to Peter Browne, one of the passengers aboard the Mayflower that established the Plymouth colony in 1620, but that sounds a little too... interesting. Nothing about my family has ever been interesting, but my mother insists that this is all true.

It's entirely possible. I forget how the maths works, but the further back you go, the more likely it is that you're a direct descendant of someone famous. Given that all kinds of people emigrated, or were transported, to the colonies, it's not unlikely that a modern US citizen might at the same time be descended from one of the Mayflower passengers and a Scot. It's not like the clans were small groups of people after all, even before the Victorians turned Scotland into a fashion craze

@Nitro Indigo I live in New Zealand, so its winter down here, though has been surprisingly sunny the last few days. I am sure that means we will be bombarded with rain and cold again soon enough.

I'm actually going to be in England for the first time ever next month. Hopefully I will get one of those sunny days @Beth Pavell eloquently summarised on the last page.

something that really confuses me is how much rule guidelines on gore vary across different websites. you'd think that different strokes for different folks, but then the nudity/sexual content guidelines are pretty similar

been talking with my chat friends, and they say this might be a culture thing... apparently americans are a lot more lenient when it comes to violence and gore, but say germans assign the no-no-ness of sexual themes and gore a lot more evenly

as someone who's already pretty desensitized to (fictional!) violence and gore by this point (i mean heck i enjoy them even), it makes evaluating the NSFWness of my works that much harder...

something that really confuses me is how much rule guidelines on gore vary across different websites. you'd think that different strokes for different folks, but then the nudity/sexual content guidelines are pretty similar

been talking with my chat friends, and they say this might be a culture thing... apparently americans are a lot more lenient when it comes to violence and gore, but say germans assign the no-no-ness of sexual themes and gore a lot more evenly

as someone who's already pretty desensitized to (fictional!) violence and gore by this point (i mean heck i enjoy them even), it makes evaluating the NSFWness of my works that much harder...

I'm not exactly sure what would explain the discrepancy for gore, except that maybe sexual content/nudity can feel a lot more... personal? In any event, if you're unsure how to rate one of your fics here, feel free to PM me or another mod and we'll figure it out. I personally am desensitized to violence and gore as well, so I don't mind reading to help you figure it out.

ah, no, the fics weren't my main point, i was more thinking about my art/memes, and not really on here either.

I think it's broadly true that culture has a lot to do with it. It's a sort of cliché Americans like to repeat that Europeans (By which they usually mean Continental Europe) tend to be more lax about sex and nudity. I'm kind of sceptical about how true that is, to be honest - I suspect very strongly that the difference is both exaggerated and inappropriately generalised

ah, no, the fics weren't my main point, i was more thinking about my art/memes, and not really on here either.

Oh, lol. Just kidding, then. Ignore me. ;P

In other news, I just got back into reading manga, and it's such a shame my attention span for series is so short, 'cause manga makes for a fun, light read. :C

Back
Top Bottom