• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

In other news, I've watched some clips of Shrek 2 (about ten years after I first watched it as a child), and MAN is it a cinematic masterpiece. I could not appreciate that level of artistry (or adult jokes) at such a young age.

Shrek 2 is legitimately in my top five movies of all time. I once deeply upset this middle aged nerd-rocker at my old job by saying it was the best sequel of all time after he tried to convince me to watch Terminator and Alien. The Fairy Godmother is legit my idol/dream halloween costume.

I haven't seen any Shrek movie since the fourth one came out, YouTube videos notwithstanding. Also, there's a Shrek musical and it looks terrifying.

UGHH SHREK 2 IS SO GREAT, i loved it as a kid and recently watched it again (this time actually in english, not dubbed - my bro had no idea shrek even had an accent hahaha) and it had so much more going for it than i ever realized. even my dad watched a bit and laughed at the marriage jokes, and he's usually a "cartoons are kiddy stuff" kinda guy.

though i gotta say, the finnish dub isn't actually half bad either, even though finnish dubs usually have kind of a... reputation (100% REAL DUB THEY ACTUALLY AIRED, watched digimon as a kid, can prove)

It's easy to forget, given Dreamworks' penchant for zombie franchises, that they really can do great original work. I'm not sure I'd rank Shrek 2 that highly among sequels, but it is a good solid film with no extraneous baggage. Unlike, say, Shrek 3, or save us, Ice Age 2 (And Ice Age was a damn tightly-constructed film, a really good road movie) it actually feels like the story came first and the franchise second

so... i've had glasses for a pretty long time now. i've also been over 18 years old for a while now. which means it would be possible for me to get eye surgery to fix my eyes, so that i wouldn't need glasses again.

not needing to wear glasses would come with multiple benefits: never having to worry about lenses being smudged or getting wet in the rain, no need to adjust glasses or worry about them fitting with 3D glasses or VR visors, no chromatic aberration at the sides of my field of vision, being able to wear non-prescription sunglasses, looking way better and less like a dork in the mirror...

but on the other hand, losing my sight or impairing it further would be disastrous.

i know the risk of it going wrong is very small - my mom has had this operation too, and it's worked perfectly for her... but i can't help but fear something will go wrong, i'll screw something up or i'll wimp out sometime during the evaluation and waste everyone's time.

have any of you or any of your relatives/friends had eye surgery?

@Beth Pavell Ice Age was made by Blue Sky, unless you didn't just mean DreamWorks, in which case, oh.

Back when Rise of the Guardians came out, I said on another website that it was too good to get a sequel. Oops. (Also, I wanted to review it back in Easter, but I like this movie so much that I'm now bored of it, so I have nothing to say.)

@canisaries You reminded me, according to TV Tropes, everyone in the Swedish dub of Cyborg No. 9 was voiced by one man.

well, if it was a littlekuriboh kind of man, there's little problem. even pasila only had 4 voice actors for every character and the show was still hilarious.

Actually...
Subbing vs. Dubbing - TV Tropes
Another interesting thing to note is that because a lot of fans from English and occasionally Spanish-speaking countries engage in the wars, if one were to look at other dubs that were produced, English and Latin-Spanish speakers are actually better off than most of the world. Heck, even English speakers have it better than some of the dubs that air on Latin American TV, even though plenty of those New-World Spanish dubs are very well done. The awful Swedish dub of Cyborg 009 is often used to illustrate this point, as the entire cast was played by one man, half the characters sound exactly the same (which is incredibly awkward since other dubbers of Cyborg 009 at least think a female should be playing the female characters) and the translation sounds like it was done by someone who had a very elementary-level understanding of the Swedish language.

Also, apparently a really censored version of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 aired on some Brazilian channel once?

I haven't seen any of the Ice Age movies in actual years, but I do remember liking the third one because dinosaurs when I was little.

Speaking of animated films, there's a certain YouTuber who reviews them that I dislike because he sounds annoying, claims that Sony Picture Animation films aren't real animated films through the power of No True Scotsman, and acts as if you don't hate The Emoji Movie with every fibre of your being, your opinion is wrong. I don't have any strong opinions about Sony Pictures Animation, but I rarely watch him because he aggravates me.

so... i've had glasses for a pretty long time now. i've also been over 18 years old for a while now. which means it would be possible for me to get eye surgery to fix my eyes, so that i wouldn't need glasses again.

not needing to wear glasses would come with multiple benefits: never having to worry about lenses being smudged or getting wet in the rain, no need to adjust glasses or worry about them fitting with 3D glasses or VR visors, no chromatic aberration at the sides of my field of vision, being able to wear non-prescription sunglasses, looking way better and less like a dork in the mirror...

but on the other hand, losing my sight or impairing it further would be disastrous.

i know the risk of it going wrong is very small - my mom has had this operation too, and it's worked perfectly for her... but i can't help but fear something will go wrong, i'll screw something up or i'll wimp out sometime during the evaluation and waste everyone's time.

I did know a kid at a daycare I used to work at who had surgery go wrong and it resulted in that side of her face being paralyzed, but I don't know if it was eye surgery. Sorry. :C I've had glasses for 18 years as well (or maybe 19, whatever), and... I can't say I've ever considered eye surgery. I can't even stomach the idea of eyedrops, lol, because anything going near my eyes terrifies me. But no matter what kind of procedure you do, really, something can get messed up. Some screw ups can be worse than others, and in this case, it's your eyesight at risk. If you're serious about it, definitely do all kinds of research into the clinic/doctor you'd be doing it with beforehand. Ask around everywhere.

For what it's worth, I would recommend starting with soft (NOT hard gas-permeable) contact lenses (unless you have bad astigmatism). I've worn contacts for many years and never had problems. The only real issue I run into is accidentally falling asleep with them in, but that's more of a "dang it Ark, stop trying to study on your bed, you know you fall asleep every time." Given how drastic eye surgery is, I'd start with contacts since they'll fix most of the issues you're complaining about (no smudging, adjusting, 3D fitting, chromatic aberration, etc). I also plan to get LASIK someday so that NASA will accept my astronaut application, lul.

Alternatively, my filthy American litigious side says that if they screw up your LASIK, you can sue them for a pile of money. My former roommates' friend's aunt did that when LASIK slightly worsened her vision!

i really don't think contacts are the solution for me. for once, i already considered them, but couldn't handle the optician trying to invert my eyelids for the checking. plus, switching some things to worry about for other things to worry about (inserting, taking out, buying more, possible eye damage maybe?) doesn't seem like it'll solve anything.

sadly i live in finland where A. i have no idea how the law system works and B. we don't have the insane suing culture of the us of a.

not worried about my face being paralyzed, though. i know enough about biology and the procedure in question to say that if they manage to paralyze your face in it, you must work with some REALLY unqualified doctors.

i really don't think contacts are the solution for me. for once, i already considered them, but couldn't handle the optician trying to invert my eyelids for the checking. plus, switching some things to worry about for other things to worry about (inserting, taking out, buying more, possible eye damage maybe?) doesn't seem like it'll solve anything.

sadly i live in finland where A. i have no idea how the law system works and B. we don't have the insane suing culture of the us of a.

Oooh. If you can't take the eyelid inversion, you would definitely have a problem with the LASIK procedure. Frankly, I think you should use contacts as a stepping stone. Most of the fear (which I too, dealt with as a kid) can be assuaged by getting familiar with touching your eyes. Inserting is just a tap, taking out is sort of pulling it off, Finland's health care is probably way better than mine here (I think the higher-quality ones I get are $200 for a half-year supply that I stretch for a whole year), and injury doesn't seem likely. For all the nonsense I've put my eyes through, I've never come close to eye damage.

RELEVANT:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6H9W5yWacU

I've worn glasses for so long that I can't really remember what it was like before I got them. I haven't ever come across a reason to replace them with either contacts or surgery which, to my mind, either justifies the costs or the risks. Even with eyesight as bad as mine there are very few circumstances where glasses prove to an active hindrance. I suppose it is significantly more expensive to use prescription sunglasses, but given that I only wear sunglasses as a matter of safety while driving I certainly have never noticed a problem

you people are strangely a lot more against this procedure than i expected...

in any case, i should mention that i clean my glasses about 5 times a day because i can't work on my digital art if any smudges are in the way. i really believe that getting rid of these would have a huge positive impact on my life.

man, you ever want to be convinced of something, just have people tell you the opposite...

Laser eye surgery is a great idea. Really makes world domination just a tad bit easier, and being able to fire lasers out of your eyes is great for picking up chicks in bars, too. Would recommend.

(In all seriousness sake, I have not had laser eye surgery, so I can't make an honest recommendation. That said, I've yet to meet someone who says they regretted it after it was done and over with.)

Back
Top Bottom