• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

According to Planet Robobot, Sand Canyon 3 from Dream Land 3 is called "Forest Area". What.

Also, I only realised a few days ago that Falkner sounds like falconer.

Okay, so I'm starting to write a bit of pmd content on the side for fun, and I gotta say, it's another beast altogether. Gotta hand it to all those pmd writers, it's difficult.

But I can't seem to think of a Pokémon who would fit the role of "Pokémon who creates mystery dungeons." I've been thinking for almost a week now and nothing fits the spot. I could always go a different route, but having a Pokémon responsible for them is too neat an idea for me to pass up.

Okay, so I'm starting to write a bit of pmd content on the side for fun, and I gotta say, it's another beast altogether. Gotta hand it to all those pmd writers, it's difficult.

But I can't seem to think of a Pokémon who would fit the role of "Pokémon who creates mystery dungeons." I've been thinking for almost a week now and nothing fits the spot. I could always go a different route, but having a Pokémon responsible for them is too neat an idea for me to pass up.

Depends how you build them. The Timburr line could do the physical building, I guess, and a psychic-type could add the "mystery" parts to it.

Depends how you build them. The Timburr line could do the physical building, I guess, and a psychic-type could add the "mystery" parts to it.

I was thinking more along the lines of "mythical/legendary Pokémon". Necrozma has crossed my mind more than once, due to his association with prisms. I was thinking his prisms could bend reality as well as light, creating the ever-changing aspect of mystery dungeons.

@UselessBytes I've seen mystery dungeons interpreted as places that defy time and space, so maybe they could be caused by the absence of Dialga and Palkia? Giratina, perhaps?

Reminds me of Children of Mana, where they justify revisiting levels as the characters using "space-time-distortion". Children of Mana is one of the few games I genuinely dislike, and this is coming from someone who didn't realise Enter the Dragonfly was bad until I looked at its TV Tropes page, but it's not a flaming dumpster that should be buried in a desert.

Speaking of Spyro, I just saw a really good analysis of Spyro 2, and now I want to analyse a game. My first idea is about how Kirby's Dream Land 3 expresses its story through gameplay, something I mentioned in my review of it, but I've improved since then. Or maybe about Cars 2's wasted potential, but I've said enough about that movie for the time being. I also got the artbook today.

@UselessBytes I've seen mystery dungeons interpreted as places that defy time and space, so maybe they could be caused by the absence of Dialga and Palkia? Giratina, perhaps?

I think Giratina would work nicely. Somehow the fact that the distortion world is a thing completely slipped my mind. Manipulating space would be right up Giratina's alley. I'll probably end up using it.

although that would make two planned stories of mine that have giratina play a major role. Oh well.

For a while, I've been planning on writing a couple fics based on certain franchises. To ensure that I write everything I want to into them, I've been compiling resources and stuff before I write the outlines. Does anyone else do that or just make up the lore, concepts, etc. as the fic goes on?

i'm currently trying to arrange / flesh out a fic, and i've gathered the concepts and ideas i've had in a freeform list in google docs. with my previous fics, i also first summarize in list-form all that happens in the current chapter before i write it. this time around, though, i also need to figure out some mechanics and rules beforehand, so i can't really jump into it before i have those figured out, plus i haven't written all the material preceding the fic chronologically either yet, so i'll have to write those first in case i come up with something important to put there.

now if only i could get through my writer's block for those.

I think a friend of mine has been scammed. She bought a $10 online writing course for me and the first lesson is only a philosophical paragraph that I can't quite decipher any meaning out of. If next week's lesson is like this, I think someone will have to ask for their money back.

Making things up as you go alone is a really easy way to hit a roadblock and not be able to get around it, but you also shouldn't make a strict plan and follow it to the tee. For early Galactic, I was pretty strict on things having to happen as I had planned, and I wish I hadn't done that.

@Emma Prescott: That sounds like a scam. Is it the first part of a weekly course, or were you signed up in the middle of it?

@Emma Prescott: That sounds like a scam. Is it the first part of a weekly course, or were you signed up in the middle of it?
Looks like just an introduction.

She had the option of paying $25 or $10. I doubt a scammer would give people a cheaper option, but I'm still not sold on how effective this course will be. I'll see next week.

If you're only offering dreck anyway, it doesn't matter whether you charge $10 or $25. Assuming the courses are actually different at all - offering a more expensive option for the same content might be a way of speculatively seeing if people will buy it

how to feel civilized: watch american psycho
how to feel smart: notice symbolic use of red and white in cinematography
how to feel dumb: absolutely not get the ending at all and be too lazy to think about it
how to feel questionable: laugh 90% of the time

i give american psycho 10/10 for that magnificent chainsaw gamershot. bravo

...while that was a video with a lot of interesting facts, i don't really see how it ties into my comment about the symbolic meaning of red and white in a movie.

feels weird to hear this guy talk about synesthesia like some sort of special thing, when i know multiple people with it and have it myself.

also i looked up and got confirmation that, yes, american psycho is a comedy and i'm apparently just very very edgy. sweet.

@canisaries Your post reminded me about Jake's analysis of the colours red, white, and black.

In other news, I still want to start doing analyses. I want to start simple, so I want to do a video about what the Heart Stars from Kirby's Dream Land 3 represent. I briefly talked about that in my review, but I've improved a lot since then.

Ah Enter the Dragonfly. The eh entry after the original trilogy, which is timeless...

Also, hi everyone, I'm back!

Back
Top Bottom