• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Heya, would anyone here be interested in being my beta reader for URPG stuff? I'm in desperate need of one!

Welcome back @Instrutilus. Where've you been?

I'm going to Europe soon for a holiday, based in England but travelling around most of western Europe. Anyone got any good suggestions for attractions and destinations to visit?

As a filthy American who has never left these great shores, I don't have any suggestions beyond the major, world renowned attractions. If you do find yourself in Paris, however, I've always heard "skip the Louvre" when anyone is offering tourism advice. The lines to get in are apparently unacceptably long, and that says nothing for the crowding inside.

If there's one suggestion I would honestly make: Giant's Causeway. It's in Northern Ireland though, which is kinda out of the way for a broad vacation to Europe.

Ever read an analysis, or commentary, of a story and wonder if the commentator has even read the source text? I'm getting shades of this with The Silmarillion at the moment
I once saw a "state of Pixar" video that said Lightning McQueen had no character development, and criticised Cars 3 despite being uploaded on the day it was released. What.

I've noticed that Tv Tropes - not always the most accurate of sources, and this demonstrates why - doesn't make any real distinction between the 1977 Silmarillion as published and the unfinished ideas in The History of Middle-Earth. Which might be fine for fanfic, but it's bad for any sensible kind of literary discussion

I had forgot my password and couldn't be bothered to remember it, Ace :L

How are you all doing?

I've always heard "skip the Louvre" when anyone is offering tourism advice.

The same is apparently true of the Crown Jewels and the Tower.

It depends what you want to see, though. My idea of a good itinerary would include the likes of the Lindisfarne Gospels (Not yet seen, alas), The Natural History Museum (Seen thrice), The Wallace Collection (Once), HMS Victory, Caernarfon Castle ... but then I'd go to Leicester purely to see the holotype of Charnia masoni

tfw you consider yourself good at anatomy and then you find out there are a bunch of membranes all over the place you had no idea about. thanks for teaching me about those in school, obama

luckily, i don't think anything straight up contradicts my writing up to this point. but i'll sure have to remember stuff like the mesentary exists in the future. stupid zombie culture making me think guts can just spill anywhere all willy nilly...

There's something about Kingdom Hearts on the Lost in Translation page on TV Tropes that confuses me.
A lot of this revolves around the word "hearts". The word in Japanese translates to the effect of "What makes you, you." Which an English speaker might translate as "souls". However Heart is valid enough translation and with the various heart symbols it was kept. Which was well and good... until the Nobodies came. Who "Lacked Hearts". But were not the Heartless, who lacked bodies. And there is consistent questions in the English fanbase if Nobodies had cardiological hearts. A question that is unlikely to come up in Japanese.
...But in Caddicarus' review of the first game, he says that the heartless are beings without souls. Anyone here who can fill me in?

(I've never played Kingdom Hearts.)

There's something about Kingdom Hearts on the Lost in Translation page on TV Tropes that confuses me.

...But in Caddicarus' review of the first game, he says that the heartless are beings without souls. Anyone here who can fill me in?

(I've never played Kingdom Hearts.)
The Heartless are the hearts of people which have been lost to the darkness. They're called Heartless because they act without emotion, basically acting "heartless."

Conversely, if a strong willed person loses their heart, they become a Nobody.

For some reason, I can't resist doing a bad Bronx accent and saying "Hey look at this guy over here, he's frikken nobody! What a bum!" when I read this.

The Heartless are the hearts of people which have been lost to the darkness. They're called Heartless because they act without emotion, basically acting "heartless."

I also read this on TV Tropes earlier on today:
Cessation of Existence said:
In Kingdom Hearts I this is a major focus. When the Heartless "eat" a person, they convert that person into a heartless themselves. Their Heart is eaten as food and the original person is usually lost forever. Sora escapes this at the end of KH 1.
  • This is also the entire concept of Nobodies. They are born when a person with a strong Heart is eaten by the Heartless. Their "Body" starts to walk around as a Nobody. The Nobody does not have a Heart so it cannot have emotions and when it dies it fragments into pieces. This is shown with the deaths of the Organization XIII. This is mentioned in a discussion between Axel and Roxas:
Axel: Let's meet again, in the next life.
Roxas: Yeah; I'll be waiting.
Axel: Silly, just because you have a next life…
  • Both were Ret Conned later. Kingdom Hearts II reveals that killing a Heartless with a Keyblade actually releases the heart(s) that have been eaten and returns them to Kingdom Hearts. Meanwhile, when a Nobody dies, their Nobody identity is permanently lost but their original "somebody" reconstitutes itself once the Heart is freed by a Keyblade. In addition, the reconstituted "somebody" retains their memory from when they were a Nobody, becoming in essence a Composite Character of the two. Good news for the millions of innocent bystanders who now actually have a chance... and the not-so-innocent Xehanort.
That's... confusing. What are the Nobodies called in Japanese?

I recently saw a YouTube comment saying that Kingdom Hearts was only convoluted because the series was spread across lots of systems, but now I'm questioning the validity of it.

Oh, no, it's convoluted even without the spreading onto the various systems. The plot is a mess, trust me.

Nobodies are still called that in Japanese. They explain it in the game, and it's a big plot spoiler, but
essentially, when a Nobody is destroyed, the original person comes back. Also, a Nobody can start developing a heart after a period of time, which is precisely what the bad guy doesn't want for plot reasons.

Hello everyone!
I've got my writer's meet up tomorrow. I made a banner for the group and they really liked it. It wasn't a lot, just a simple one I did on Canva. Normally some writing groups irl either strongly dislike fan fiction or don't know much about it, but the group I'm in think it's pretty cool that I write it.

Hello everyone!
I've got my writer's meet up tomorrow. I made a banner for the group and they really liked it. It wasn't a lot, just a simple one I did on Canva. Normally some writing groups irl either strongly dislike fan fiction or don't know much about it, but the group I'm in think it's pretty cool that I write it.

Hello! Here's a familiar username I've seen elsewhere. ;D

I'm glad you found a writing group in real life, especially one that's interested in fanfiction! I'm a bit jealous, ngl. I did meet up with my local NaNoWriMo group in college to write a couple times, and even though the leader was a Pokemon fan, she wasn't so into Pokemon fanfiction... It was awkward, to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom