• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Just realized I forgot to answer my own question, haha! But yeah I kinda lowkey enjoy shipping oneshots particularly ones involving boku no hero academia

I kinda feel like a loser admitting it but yeah

Kinda embarrassed to admit this as well, but I do quite enjoy giantesses in fanfics. Pretty much anywhere, actually.

Last edited:
I quite enjoy a short dip into an alternate universe or alternate timeline, like they did every now and then in Star Trek. The episodes that focused on the evil mirror universe were always a favorite, and my absolute favorite alternate timeline story was found in Enterprise, where the crew failed their mission to save Earth from a megaweapon and the episode focused on the last remnants of humanity trying to avoid extermination on a remote world.

It's something I want to do myself, but I don't know how to approach it without it utterly breaking the flow of what I'm writing.

I dunno if it's a "guilty" pleasure, but I like shipping/romance (in theory). Trouble is, most of the shipping fics I've read are awful.

I wonder which one a musician would say is more difficult than the other (@AetherX?)

It depends on the piece being rearranged, but I'd say in general being a composer is more difficult. That said, you need a pretty good understanding of composition in order to be an arranger.

I've gone to war over shipping lanes in Civilization, does that count?

Also, you know what sucks? Spending a week writing, editing and finishing a chapter, only to have to consider scrapping it entirely because the very next chapter that builds directly off of it as a two-parter just isn't working.

A war with France is a rite of passage. And a casual pastime. Summers just don't feel right if war isn't raging in the countryside.

I also enjoy both shipping fics and shipping in general, but not really as guilty pleasures. Good examples of the former are hard to find, indeed, but I think that one could say the same for any type of fanfic, to a certain extent. As for the latter, one aspect of shipping that I've always been attracted to is the idea of putting two characters together who have little to no connection with each other in canon and imagining how they would interact in an imagined situation... and the storytelling possibilities of that are endless when you consider how many characters there are in Pokémon especially. Meanwhile, I've never had much interest in the more... intimate side of shipping, let's just say. I also don't take shipping itself particularly seriously... it's mainly just a fun way for me to exercise my imagination more than anything else. So once shipping ceases to be "fun" for me (i.e. when it crosses the line into "serious business"), it usually becomes less interesting to me as well.
I quite enjoy a short dip into an alternate universe or alternate timeline, like they did every now and then in Star Trek. The episodes that focused on the evil mirror universe were always a favorite, and my absolute favorite alternate timeline story was found in Enterprise, where the crew failed their mission to save Earth from a megaweapon and the episode focused on the last remnants of humanity trying to avoid extermination on a remote world.

What's funny is that the Pokémon anime actually had an episode set in a mirror universe not too long ago (because it took 900+ episodes for them to come up with that idea, apparently). That was a fun one, given that it featured the normally brave and heroic Ash as a wimpy crybaby, the typically well-mannered Pikachu as a mischievous troublemaker, and the sweet and then-aimless Serena as a tough, battle-happy bully with an attitude that would make Misty blush. Speaking of her, I wonder what the mirror universe versions of some of the other characters would be like, or how the actual world itself would be different compared to the mostly bright and happy Pokémon world that we're familiar with. Imagine people like Giovanni or Ghetsis becoming heroes, or characters like Gym Leaders, rivals, Legendary Pokémon, or even the main characters themselves becoming either deeply flawed or flat-out villainous...
It depends on the piece being rearranged, but I'd say in general being a composer is more difficult. That said, you need a pretty good understanding of composition in order to be an arranger.

I guess that means that there's hope for me, haha.

Last edited:
i should give into the peer pressure and check out boku no hero academia too. there's just too many memes i'm missing out on. can't have that

i have a weird feeling about a chapter i wrote... i'm 99% sure i'm not going to want to change anything, but still i'm doubtful about releasing it. doesn't help that i'm kinda stuck in the next chapter, too.

also: it feels very probable right now that by the end of this uni period, i'll end up hating all 0s and 1s with a passion. my only hope is watching more pannenkoek and wishing it will remind me of how fun and interesting computer science can be

I'm experiencing serious rejection symptoms of Real-Life Japanese culture.

Being frank and talking straightforward is considered as "impolite". One must be careful in the word usage where one need to speak in "humble language" when talking to elder/superior/colleagues of longer employment period. Regardless of how dirty the place it is where they only clean the place once every 2 months and recently there was report of cockroaches, you need to take off your shoes and walk on bare feet (slipper is not allowed neither) when you are inside the guest house. CV/resume requires you to attach a photo and tell your gender, sometimes you might also need to write down do you have family members or how many children you have. There is only one dress code for white collar workers, which is purely smart business attire in full suits, there is no smart casual and of course no casual attire, and you dare know how expensive your clothing cost will be when wearing such clothing on daily basis.

None of these are thinkable in UK nor my home country. I pondered again why do I wanted to come to this country......

main characters themselves becoming either deeply flawed or flat-out villainous...
I mean, mirror Team Rocket were heroes...

There was actually a thread about mirrorverse anime characters a while ago.

In other news, I recently realised that the best way to tell if a game is an RPG is to see how much complaining there is about it on TV Tropes.

maybe i should finally make an account on tvtropes and start hanging around the forums. im that bored and attention seeking after all

I've been word mining again:

concupiscent, adj: lustful
deliquesce, v: to melt away or liquefy
epigone, n: an inferior imitation, a less distinguished successor of a previous generation
incantation, n: a conventional utterance or cliché repeated without thinking
lubricious, adj: lewd, with connotations of slipperiness
pinguid, adj: fat or oily

Back
Top Bottom