• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

reee wanna do a turn in the review game but 3 turns havent passed yet >∧< also wanna finally finish my stupid chapter so i can post it and contribute new stuff and have people read it egh

reee wanna do a turn in the review game but 3 turns havent passed yet >∧< also wanna finally finish my stupid chapter so i can post it and contribute new stuff and have people read it egh

I give you my blessing as a mod to go ahead and post in the review game. It's been a month, so it's not like you're hogging it.

I've just moved the game along, so now's your chance without worrying about the three turns rule!

I'm making a comedic assignment for English, and it's about types of people or objects in life. One thing that came in mind was, "Types of Fan-Fiction Writers." There's potential for funny descriptions, but to make sure I covered all the bases, I figured I should ask if these groups I defined are all good.

The Shipper: Love making stories involving romantic relations between characters, no matter if it is canonically true. This includes, but is not limited to, fan-made characters.

The Guardian: Insist that everything in the story must be precisely how the game or show portrays it. They essentially want a script of whatever it is you're writing for.

The Chemist: Enjoy trying out new ideas in fan-fics, whether it be an entirely new location, or seeing how characters would react in a certain situation. This can include original worlds that are based on the source one.

If this idea is flawed, I have others to fall back on, but I figured that this might be a good one. Is there anything I should change, or should I just change the idea?

The Chemist: Enjoy trying out new ideas in fan-fics, whether it be an entirely new location, or seeing how characters would react in a certain situation. This can include original worlds that are based on the source one.
This is mainly the kind I read, but I also like reading fanfics about platonic friendships and introspection, which is how I got UPSET ABOUT TALKING CARS (and Siddeley).

There's also that annoying trend on FIMFiction where stories have the bare minimum amount of My Little Pony in them to be posted on that site. I can't blame those people, since the site has a really good layout, but still. Anyone got a concise name for these people? (Also, the FAQ says that it should be capitalised as Fimfiction, but the title shown in browser tabs is FIMFiction. Odd.)

There's also also people who mainly write elsewhere fics. (ie: Fanfics that recognisably take place in the same universe as canon, but don't prominently feature any of the main characters or anything.)

There's also also people who mainly write elsewhere fics.

Those are my favourites. Some fandoms are better suited for them than others, admittedly - Pokémon is one of the best. I'm sort of toying with doing a Breath of the Wild story in that vein once I finally manage to finish Part 1 of The Long Walk

How about The Remora: Allegedly writes fanfiction, but locations and/or characters are so AU as to be unrecognisable as belonging to their parent canon. Especially enjoys removing defining characteristics of the canon
There's also also people who mainly write elsewhere fics. (ie: Fanfics that recognisably take place in the same universe as canon, but don't prominently feature any of the main characters or anything.)
*cough cough*

They're just as fun to read as they are to write.

The misspelling of English produced a dark humor joke:

The superhero wins thanks to the help of his heroin. (......ah, I mean heroine) :p

NaNoWriMo intrigues me. I don't entirely know if I could write 50,000 words in a month however; I'm already having a hard enough time writing 1,000 a day as it is. If I can get PMDFI finished before November, then I could maybe do it with an original idea of mine. Guess I should start planning it then...

Those are my favourites. Some fandoms are better suited for them than others, admittedly - Pokémon is one of the best. I'm sort of toying with doing a Breath of the Wild story in that vein once I finally manage to finish Part 1 of The Long Walk

There are certain parts of metroid that would be fun to write about without explicitly involving Samus, and honestly I want to write one. Only thing is most of my ideas revolve around the politics of the galactic federation, and, to quote the Star Wars prequels, "I'm not brave enough for politics."

I recorded 50 minutes of The Wind Waker HD today, only to discover that instead of recording my commentary in Audacity, I had recorded my computer's audio instead. Which means that now I have to do equally time-consuming post-commentary. Yay...

Does anyone here use a specialized word processor like Scrivener around here? I've been using Word for all my stories, but the level of organization possible with Scrivener is really tempting.

Back
Top Bottom