• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

well, you can turn hand-drawn transparent pretty easily if you have a good program and know your way around it.

anyway, @Nitro Indigo , i may be able to sketch up something if it's simple enough, hit up my DMs if you're interested. taking a quick sketch request might help me out of my art block.

@canisaries No thanks. I've got a good mental image of what she looks like; I've gotten people to draw her in the past, but I don't feel like digging through my Chicken Smoothie posts from 2012.

In other news, my heart's set on a PS4 now. I realised that while I'm not desperate to play any games on Switch or PS4, I'd sooner play Kingdom Hearts than Super Mario Odyssey. If I tried to watch a let's play of the former, I'd probably get bored because of how long the game is. If I play it myself, I can go at my own pace.

Also, does anyone else get a feeling, after watching a let's play, where you want to play the game yourself so you can do things in it whenever you like?

I got Kirby 64 after watching TheDestroyer229's let's play of it because then I would be able to look at the enemy card gallery whenever I wanted. Of course, I'd been interested in the game for a while.

Tessellating Hexagon's let's play of Spyro the Dragon is one of my favourite let's plays. His witty anecdotes don't detract from the game itself, and it's clear that he has passion.

Warning: he swears.

Meanwhile, I find my Kirby's Dream Land 3 let's play to be... underwhelming. My trains of thought are muddled, and while previously I'd make about one episode a week, I'm now trying to get them out once every two days because I've set myself a deadline for the 11th of December.

An observation:

The review game, after a few months, hasn't really encouraged new people to start reviewing. It's just led to the people who already reviewed things reviewing more and getting rewarded. So for people who don't have a habit of reading and reviewing other stories: Why? And is there anything that could actually get you to do that.

An observation:

The review game, after a few months, hasn't really encouraged new people to start reviewing. It's just led to the people who already reviewed things reviewing more and getting rewarded. So for people who don't have a habit of reading and reviewing other stories: Why? And is there anything that could actually get you to do that.

Well... I’d review more often if I read more often. I don’t quite have the time to read most stories in the workshop, honestly. I’d love to read most of them if I could.

Well... I’d review more often if I read more often. I don’t quite have the time to read most stories in the workshop, honestly. I’d love to read most of them if I could.
I don't read most of them. I just try to pick up a new one every once in a while and try to keep up with it. It's more effective than you'd think.

I've left a few but they're not too long. I wasn't sure if those counted. I've made a plan to put aside time this weekend for a long one.

Reviews don't have to be really long or immensely in-depth. From the Review Game first post:

- Reviews must be at least one paragraph or four full sentences long, original comments (not something you have posted before), be as constructive as possible, and try to comment on more than just technical errors. If you're having trouble, here are a Few Reminders about Reviewing.

So if you wanna try it sometimes, I say go for it! :D

As for finding time to review... I admit it can be tough sometimes. I'm a slow-ish reader and my attention span isn't always the greatest, but I find that setting aside a minimum of 30 minutes a day to read helps me stay on a decent schedule. I'd say I follow about ~20 fics total across two forums.

I do sometimes find it hard to review, especially when I have such limited time now thanks to the pains of work. I think the easiest way to do it is set aside some time and try to follow fics as soon as they are posted, rather than waiting and ending up with 20-ish chapters to read. Otherwise, a lot of the very old fics on this site tend to be edited at regular intervals, so I try and follow those ones as they get revised and updated.

i would say that the review game has definitely encouraged me to review more, and i've discovered a joy in finding out about new story worlds and characters. although i've also noticed just how slow i am at reading and reviewing. you'd think it would be as easy as reading through, maybe skimming through once again, and then giving your thoughts, but for some reason my attention span just fails me and it gets hella fragmented, and i feel like i can't phrase myself correctly half the time. it took me two hours to get through and review one chapter the other day, and i had even read that chapter once before.

do have to say that the skills i learned in finnish lessons at school have been very helpful in literary analysis. shoutout to my high school teachers

actually let me rephrase: i do know the words, but i need to find a way to filter out all the sass and meme so i actually sound professional and not like the chronic shitposter i actually am

Back
Top Bottom