• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

actually let me rephrase: i do know the words, but i need to find a way to filter out all the sass and meme so i actually sound professional and not like the chronic shitposter i actually am

Wait we're supposed to be professional in reviews

Edit: Recs

Land of the Roses, The Long Walk - low key journey fics

Striking Back: Memoirs of a Clone (in archive): Brilliant but philosophical, if that's not your thing

Unpredictable: Rough patch between the edits and now but the ending is probs the best action on the forum

Dawn of Darkness (archived): character drama, relatively short

Flying in the Dark, Love and Other Nightmares: Journey fics with a slight twist, update slowly.

Shameless self plug: I write a thing with superpowers and depression

please read my edgy fanfiction about this emo serial killer who's gay for a snail ill shout u out in my next mlp roblox lets play vid

actual suggestion: @lucarioknight56 recently started a new PMD fic, if you like PMD i'd say that'd be pretty easy to get into as there isn't too much posted yet. link here, been meaning to take a look myself as i got kinda curious when working on the banner for it

We’ll, for recommendations, all of Lucarioknight’s PMD stories all really good, but canisaries already beat me to it. So, because you were there is good if you’re into stuff with mechas

I've been thinking about storytelling in games again today, and I realised something: in video games, you can get away with a minimal (not to be confused with bad) story as long as the gameplay is solid. In most Kirby games, for example, the plot twist is that there IS a story. I'd like to do a dramatic speech about this over the credits of Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Which is more grammatically correct: "A Story Only a Game Could Tell", or "A Story Only a Game Can Tell"?

so uhh today i for some reason decided to check out a PSA from my childhood that traumatized me and caused me to have many nightmares, i guess to look back at it and laugh at kid me's silly fears

...only to find that THOSE FEARS WERE COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED as even with only scroll-forward youtube previews i could tell that i would not be able to watch it again at all because it is just that unsettling

for brave souls, here is the link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDs9w5H5cA

although i did also check out that one pingu episode where pingu has nightmare and this time i could laugh at it even if the sealion is one of the most disturbing things ever put to film. he does look like jamie hyneman tho

although i did also check out that one pingu episode where pingu has nightmare and this time i could laugh at it even if the sealion is one of the most disturbing things ever put to film. he does look like jamie hyneman tho
Caddicarus said that scared him too. I have only the vaguest memories of Pingu, though.

Speaking of which, is there such thing as Japanese stop-motion? I can name CGI anime (The Gregory Horror Show, Digimon X-Evolution), but not stop-motion anime.

On a completely unrelated note, why is Japan sometimes okay with violence in video games, but not others? Like, in Klonoa of all things there's a character whose entire gimmick is "guns", and in the American version of Kingdom Hearts II they censored guns in the Pirates of the Caribbean world (even though it's an American movie...), and we've all heard the stereotype of Digimon, but Gaijin Goombah once claimed that some violent American game was censored in Japan because they see video games as being for kids. I guess it's because guns specifically are rare in Japan?

so uhh today i for some reason decided to check out a PSA from my childhood that traumatized me and caused me to have many nightmares, i guess to look back at it and laugh at kid me's silly fears

...only to find that THOSE FEARS WERE COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED as even with only scroll-forward youtube previews i could tell that i would not be able to watch it again at all because it is just that unsettling
Speaking of this, what film scenes scared you guys as kids?
Mine are the scene in The Land Before Time where the Sharptooth rips a chunk out of Littlefoot's Mother and the scene in The Last Unicorn where a character is killed by a harpy and you see it feeding on the character.

Last edited:
The entirety of the B-movie Arachnophobia terrified me as a kid. Terrified me so much that it actually triggered the development of real life arachnophobia which my parents tell me I never had until I watched that dumb movie.

Lesson learned.

I'm going to try and read a fic today (not the whole thing obviously hut part of it). Any suggestions before I head out into the wilderness?
The Workshop Directory is a really good place to go to see what fics you might want to read. They have summaries so you don't have to just aimlessly click threads to see what's what.

@canisaries: that bloody walrus episode of Pingu traumatised me as a child. I watched it again recently it is still pretty fucked up. It looks like Joseph Fritzel and should not be allowed on television.

Was anyone ever scared of a Pokemon episode as a kid? The third movie I remember unsettled me a little bit when I first watched it.

Was anyone ever scared of a Pokemon episode as a kid? The third movie I remember unsettled me a little bit when I first watched it.

i've pretty much always had this fear of deep water, (Like, it's rather extreme. The diving area in some pools can make me nervous if it's deep enough) and things being in said deep water as well, so it's not hard to image the first time my little five year old self watched Tentacool and Tentacruel, I was pretty shaken up.

Can't say I've really been scared of many shows, as I've never watched TV all that much. One scene in the movie A.I. did set me off when I was little though.

P. S. Thanks for the recommendations of my stories. I don't hear about them very often, so I'm always pleased! :)

Can't really remember stuff I watched I was scared by, really. I'm the person people go to to watch horror movies. The catch is, I can't be alone when I watch said things or I'm scared for hours afterward. So, this is pretty much me (just imagine the terrified reaction to what happens next):

tumblr_oy66c81ld31req0yeo1_r1_500.gif

Was anyone ever scared of a Pokemon episode as a kid?
Not really scared, but I did find the Ghost of Maiden's Peak episode a little unsettling, especially when the maiden turned into a rotting corpse and snaky spirits started pouring out of her face. That was a little heavy for young me.

Back
Top Bottom