• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

what's the censorship you're talking about? i'm unaware.

and to answer your question: yes. journalists live off clicks today, and generating false controversies is how they get those clicks. furthermore, if you're the first to point out a """problem""", you automatically erase the possibility of being called racist/sexist/whateverist for not covering it AND you get awesome brownie points for bringing this oh-so-important issue to light like the shining hero you are.

ugh, sorry for the rant, it's just that gaming journalism has managed to acquire some very reprehensible qualities in the past few years.

to be completely honest: given from how i've seen transgender elements handled in a lot of japanese media, it might be better off that way - but i don't have any more context, so can't make very accurate judgements based on just this. not that i feel like delving into this a lot more anyway, video game controversies tend to give me headaches.

(Something weird happened: I posted something, then I got a "new posts have been made since you opened this page" message, my post seemed to be posted twice so I deleted one, then they both disappeared.)

According to some parts of the internet, people disliking a work on its own merits is "controversy". This is why I mainly stick to things that aren't likely to make people mad nowadays, such as Kirby and Klonoa.

I've just begun scripting "Indigo Mini-Reviews a Couple of DS Games" (ie: Children of Mana and Spirit Tracks), but I can't put down my opinions in a lengthly manner today. Short version: Children of Mana is one of my least favourite games because of the tedious gameplay, but it's not incompetent (this is also my opinion on The Legend of Spyro), and Spirit Tracks is better-made than people give it credit for.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is every game controversial these days? If Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was released today, its entire YMMV page on TV Tropes would consist of an Overshadowed by Controversy entry about the censorship. I'm not saying that people should hate that game, and I don't have any strong opinions on censorship, it's just that it would never fly in today's internet climate. I'm nostalgic for the time when games were just self-contained entertainment.

I'm slightly worried that the Wonder movie will end up being controversial, considering what happened to another slice of life movie, based on a book, released earlier this year.
Just reading a YouTube comment section will tell you that, yes, every game is controversial. People just like complaining. And not even the majority of people either. Just the louder people.

Some websites contain a lot of complaining. Others contain a lot of crying.

In other news, I can't find anything about issue 44 (July 2009) of the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine on the internet, and I think it's the issue where they review Klonoa.

eaugh is there anything worse than writer's block when you get to the part you were looking forward to writing the most

...well yes, genocide, but p-play along please

There is something worse: a sudden burst of motivation when you're at a part that you don't want to write.

eaugh is there anything worse than writer's block when you get to the part you were looking forward to writing the most
Agreed.
There is something worse: a sudden burst of motivation when you're at a part that you don't want to write.
Wouldn't this be a good thing for Writer's Block?
Actually, I find what's worst for me right now is a 100 page document of scrambled ideas for characters, plot, worldbuilding, et cetera that I have yet to organize. Just. Why did I do that.
Yikes. At least you have them written down. I've had all of these elements for a potentially awesome story stuck in my head for over 4 1/2 years yet I've only started to write a rough draft because I was waiting until I was ready back at the end of July.

Fun fact with regards to the last page: a lot of people on disability Twitter really hate Wonder because they cast a non-disfigured actor as a disfigured character, when actually disfigured people can't get any work at all in the film industry.

Back
Top Bottom