• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I usually plan the beginning and the end and a couple parts in the middle but not how my characters get there.

I have the end planned out for Land of the Roses but I have nooooo idea how I'm going to get there, or if it's even a good idea. The power level of the big baddie at the end is so immense that only an act of divine intervention will be able to save the day and I'm not sure I want to go down that route anymore. Seemed like a good idea when I first started drafting the story concepts, but now that I'm actually writing it and it's turning out more friendly and chilled than I initially planned, I dunno.

I have the end planned out for Land of the Roses but I have nooooo idea how I'm going to get there, or if it's even a good idea. The power level of the big baddie at the end is so immense that only an act of divine intervention will be able to save the day and I'm not sure I want to go down that route anymore. Seemed like a good idea when I first started drafting the story concepts, but now that I'm actually writing it and it's turning out more friendly and chilled than I initially planned, I dunno.
Give big daddie a big weakness?

can anyone who's bought a betaread in the review league say how long it usually takes for someone to get back to you on it? i'm curious

The power level of the big baddie at the end is so immense that only an act of divine intervention will be able to save the day
Dramatic Hyperinflation: Why It's A Problem, And How To Avoid It - Springhole.net

On a completely unrelated note, back in 2014, I was an embarrassing fangirl of Fullmetal Alchemist. Recently I've rekindled my love of it, which caused me to remember that a few years ago, I deleted a lot of FMA fanfics from my favourites list on Fanfiction.net, and now I can't find them.

can anyone who's bought a betaread in the review league say how long it usually takes for someone to get back to you on it? i'm curious

No one's bought one yet, so I don't know for sure. There's a decent amount of beta readers signed up, which gives me some hope there. I think everyone just went back to school, though, and with the awards and whatnot, things are a bit slower right now. ^^;

H*CK yes i just got the evaluation on my last coding project (which was basically a pokemon battle simulator with a user interface) and i got 100p and no negative comments~
feels goode

The good thing about having planned ahead is that you haven't actually written that scene yet, so you can easily nerf him if it feels necessary.

The good thing about having planned ahead is that you haven't actually written that scene yet, so you can easily nerf him if it feels necessary.
I've actually already written out the scene where the big baddie is introduced and shows his full power. It's too much, but I love what I've written.

The thought has crossed my mind to dial back everything, though, I'm having way too much fun writing casual and calm slice of life to go on a world-saving quest.

Also, who says you can't go on a world-saving quest and have some good ol' slice-of-life scenes on the side? :eek:
I could, but at the same time, if I try to line up what I want to do with the casual life-y bits, it'll be years before they'd even be a fraction ready for the end of the world. Both in the story and in real life.

What is it?
Basically the main character is an amnesiac who wakes up in the ruins of a prison with this guy named Yevan sitting next to them. Yevan was trying to wake them up because he just randomly found them because he was wandering around. The prison is in a place known as the Span which is a large domed city, also in ruins, that was one of the last bastions of humanity during an apocalypse. Unfourtanetly, due to political corruption and maybe a disease the Span exterminated itself by accident. Now only the man character and Yevan are left and they have to find a way out. And the thing is, I have all these cool cutscenes and areas planned out in my head but I kind of want to write it as a book given that I have no coding skills.

Any tips on opening scenes for stories? I've thought of 4 different openings for this new one, and honestly I can't find myself liking a single version that I've chosen. They are either too cliche, too exposition heavy, too awkward or too rushed. (They do kind of provide 'character establishing moments' although I don't like the way they have presented themselves). Even worse, I feel like I can't start planning the details of the other chapters until I get the first one ready. (Mostly for the sake of pacing and length).

Back
Top Bottom