• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've been in a bit of a graphic novel mood recently, which was kickstarted by the Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy graphic novel that came out recently. What's the catch-all term for "stories told through panels"?

Was the graphic novel good? I'm planning on asking for it for my birthday.
It's alright. It irks me how they completely removed mentions of Hvitur and Aisha, and Peril looks nothing like she does on the cover of Escaping Peril, but it was a fun read.

In other news, I've recently realised that episode 8 of FMA03 is great.

FMA03 was really good and it still holds a special place in my heart, but it really went off the rails towards the end (because there was no ending to speak of) and I ultimately enjoyed Brotherhood a lot more. It was a much tighter show with the benefit of hindsight and a completed source material.

i've yet to read a single mango because i'm lazy and cheap, but i hear my school's anime club has the first issue of fist of the north star. i should pop in there eventually to give it a read, though probably won't as even anime club members have more confidence and social skills than me

i've yet to read a single mango because i'm lazy and cheap, but i hear my school's anime club has the first issue of fist of the north star. i should pop in there eventually to give it a read, though probably won't as even anime club members have more confidence and social skills than me

First problem is, how do you read a mango???

Nah, but seriously, you could always rent manga from the library, too, if you don't wanna buy it.

I've still got three volumes of the Usagi Drop manga somewhere. Daikichiiiii!

You're damn right I just heard that whine in my head lol although I learned why the manga ending's not the best and I recommend just sticking the anime

FMA03 was really good and it still holds a special place in my heart, but it really went off the rails towards the end (because there was no ending to speak of) and I ultimately enjoyed Brotherhood a lot more. It was a much tighter show with the benefit of hindsight and a completed source material.
I recently came to the realisation that the manga's story is more cohesive, but I couldn't enjoy it fully because Brotherhood feels incomplete. FMA03 has conditioned me to think of Fullmetal Alchemist as a raw, personal story that's about the protagonists above all else. That's why I'm reading the manga.

I think my 7th chapter is trying to kill me. I'm on my FOURTH rewrite and I'm just so sad because its supposed to be a bunch of really great stuff with some characters that haven't gotten their time to shine, and just EUGHE!!!!

I think the reason I like Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 so much is because it gives me a feeling that "they don't make 'em like this any more." It's so raw compared to today's flashy anime.

While does get really messed-up (and confusing) at the end, it's not 100% depressing through-and-through. There are moments of levity. The creators knew they couldn't tell the over-the-top world-saving story the unfinished source material was going to, so instead they decided to focus on the emotions of the characters, creating a far more human story. The parts it does adapt are reimagined.

Unfortunately, it follows the manga to a fault: FMA03 is still one-fifth of a story. I think that they should have made the diverging storyline more apparent earlier, instead of making weird fillers early on that feel like the Pokémon anime for teenagers. The last nine episodes feel incredibly rushed, and FMA03 is the source of my disdain for plot twists that happen right at the end.

I sort of want to do a series of videos riffing on FMA03, but I don't own it on DVD, and I'm not confident enough to talk about some of the heavier subject matter. In fact, FMA is so unlike anything else that I like that sometimes I wonder why I like it in the first place. It must be those characters, man.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of anything done in this way again.

(Pet peeve: when people compare a theoretical anime adaptation of Pokémon Adventures to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Adventures isn't the source material, you know. It wasn't even the first Pokémon manga.)

aesthetic: posting the most disgusting scenes of your fanfic in meme chats

unknown.png

also, is it just me or has it been quieter in the writers' section for the past week or so?

The only manga I’ve ever read are Sailor Moon, Noragami (which is currently on indefinite hiatus, rip) and My Hero Academia. I read sailor moon through a library, but I read Noragami online as it came out and am currently reading MHA online as it comes out

The only manga I've read are the first volume of Pokémon Adventures, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, The Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass, and most of Fullmetal Alchemist (most of a fan translation; up to volume 6 in the official translation).

The reason I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist now is because I want to see how the story was intended to be paced, because in my mind there's a jarring disconnect between the splitting point of the two continuities.

I remember when it was a big ambition of mine to play Oracle of Seasons. I don't like that game now.

What's My Hero Academia about?

Last edited:
Okay. I've seen fans of it on Tumblr, but I wasn't sure what it was about. Problem is, I might find it underwhelming.
It starts off a little underwhelming, and if you’re looking for super complex story arcs you’ll be disappointed, but if you’re just looking for likeable, diverse characters, some damn good action, and overall just a good time, it should live up to the hype.

Back
Top Bottom