• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I guess Xenforo must be better then vBulletin, because even Serebii import their forum to there.

Well, talking from experience, I do feel Xenforo is much more modern. User- friendly-wise...... 1 point above vBulletin.

So as a result, Xenforo is indeed better.

If you want overcomplicated lore, go to Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Except he's a master at portraying it and having every little bit tie into the plot somehow or have some significance to a character. Finally finished the series a few days ago,and I should've taken notes as I read...
Sounds like the kind of tight plotting I love, but I find it hard to read long fanfics because I don't have the attention span to look at one page for an extended period of time.

On a completely unrelated note, I got the Power Rangers Dino Charge theme song stuck in my head today for some reason.

I hadn't even listened to it in ages. I was just imagining Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood abridged series where Ed sings a parody of a Power Rangers theme song after saying that the human sacrifices are basically a Power Rangers team (there's no abridged series like this, by the way), and suddenly I started thinking about Dino Charge's theme song.

My recent interest in Power Rangers was inspired by a Fullmetal Alchemist omake parodying Super Sentai.

watched birdman since it was on TV and i really feel like a fool for not watching more "artsy" movies before. i've always really only watched the more mainstream movies and i'm realizing there's a lot out there i'm missing.

i think i've been afraid to take risks when it comes to what i watch, which is likely due to my family not caring so much for darker stuff. my dad has a tendency to dislike all "artsy" stuff, which shows for example when he likes when i draw cute simplistic stuff but not when i do stuff detailed or gruesome... but the fact just is that the detailed is more satisfying and giving to do.

he never likes it when i bring up what i write either, which doesn't even make sense given he was a big fan of dexter. maybe he just sees me as his lil daughter and doesn't want someone like that to be messing around with this stuff, idk.

I'm currently working on my fic in a scene where the character was required to cry so sensationally for emotional reason. The atmosphere is sad and melancholic.

And as a result, I feel difficult to lay my hand on this scene, because being the writer of this scene I also cried throughout the writing process. Paper towel and rubbish bin on the side, and it shall be full when the time this scene is done.

If you want overcomplicated lore, go to Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Except he's a master at portraying it and having every little bit tie into the plot somehow or have some significance to a character. Finally finished the series a few days ago,and I should've taken notes as I read...

Just the first series, or have you read the Wax and Wayne books as well?

Sounds like the kind of tight plotting I love, but I find it hard to read long fanfics because I don't have the attention span to look at one page for an extended period of time.

On a completely unrelated note, I got the Power Rangers Dino Charge theme song stuck in my head today for some reason.

The Mistborn series isn't fanfic, but each book in the trilogy is about 700 pages long. I have a bad attention span, too, so it took me about a year to get through it... heh.

watched birdman since it was on TV and i really feel like a fool for not watching more "artsy" movies before. i've always really only watched the more mainstream movies and i'm realizing there's a lot out there i'm missing.

i think i've been afraid to take risks when it comes to what i watch, which is likely due to my family not caring so much for darker stuff. my dad has a tendency to dislike all "artsy" stuff, which shows for example when he likes when i draw cute simplistic stuff but not when i do stuff detailed or gruesome... but the fact just is that the detailed is more satisfying and giving to do.

he never likes it when i bring up what i write either, which doesn't even make sense given he was a big fan of dexter. maybe he just sees me as his lil daughter and doesn't want someone like that to be messing around with this stuff, idk.

I could rant about parents for hours, but my parents didn't even care that I liked writing or reading or any other hobby... for no reason other than it took away time I could've been spending with family. Anytime I said I was doing something I enjoyed, they said, "So, you're not really doing anything at all, right?" So I can see where you're coming from here, in a sense. I've kept doing what I love anyway. If they actually want me to be happy, they'll get over it.

Just the first series, or have you read the Wax and Wayne books as well?

Just the first one. I heard the Wax and Wayne books aren't even half as good, so I was probably going to skip them.

Just the first one. I heard the Wax and Wayne books aren't even half as good, so I was probably going to skip them.

I'd go against that. I've only read the first two Wax and Wayne books, and I'd say they're easily as good as the first series. It's a pretty stark departure from the original trilogy setting and culture wise, so I guess I can see why whoever gave you that opinion had it, I guess?

Oh boy! Im playing Kirby star allies. And Im fighting another tree that ISNT Wispy woods.

I'd go against that. I've only read the first two Wax and Wayne books, and I'd say they're easily as good as the first series. It's a pretty stark departure from the original trilogy setting and culture wise, so I guess I can see why whoever gave you that opinion had it, I guess?

Hmm, their specific comments were that the plot and characters were subpar compared to the original trilogy.

Another one for the "parents just don't understand" camp over here, given that my parents' opinions on things like video games, anime, anything remotely non-mainstream, etc. are pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Not that it actually affects me much now as a young adult who can play, watch, and read whatever they want, but it's still a frustrating feeling when the ones who love you the most are also the ones who sometimes understand you the least...
I'm currently working on my fic in a scene where the character was required to cry so sensationally for emotional reason. The atmosphere is sad and melancholic.

And as a result, I feel difficult to lay my hand on this scene, because being the writer of this scene I also cried throughout the writing process. Paper towel and rubbish bin on the side, and it shall be full when the time this scene is done.
Well, I suppose that means that you're doing a good job so far, then. :) Especially if you read the whole thing again a few days or a week from now and it does the same thing to you...

Last edited:
Uhhh SUDDENLY 3d boss fight! I didn't expect that coming. Wait didi it just form DARK MATTERS FACE?!

i keep having dreams about the original PMD. i should really revisit it, or at least find out where the hell i put my PSMD cartridge and finish that. even if my player mon still sucks extremely hard, does no good damage to anyone and dies in one hit regardless of her level. i miss being able to evolve your player and partner mon. i miss using heat wave in monster houses

i keep having dreams about the original PMD. i should really revisit it, or at least find out where the hell i put my PSMD cartridge and finish that. even if my player mon still sucks extremely hard, does no good damage to anyone and dies in one hit regardless of her level. i miss being able to evolve your player and partner mon. i miss using heat wave in monster houses
if the player character is having dreams about you, and you’re having dreams about being he player character...

jk jk I loved the original PMD to bits. There was something super badass about being a smol Charmander and taking on freaking RAYQUAZA

Hmm, their specific comments were that the plot and characters were subpar compared to the original trilogy.
The shift in setting and characters can be a little jarring at first, but I found it just as immersive as the first series once I settled in.

Also, I definitely agree on taking notes. Besides Atium and Copper, I still have trouble remembering which metals do what.

Last edited:
So what does everyone think of Pokemon mystery dungeon gates to infinity? That's the only mystery dungeon game I played.

The Mistborn series isn't fanfic,
Oops.

I've lost interest in reading books recently.

Also, I'm reading the TV Tropes pages for Star Allies, and on the YMMV page, there's a Counterpart Comparison entry that mentions Klonoa final bosses. I didn't click on the spoiler tags to see what they were hiding, but I'm intrigued now. I already know one word of the final boss' name and what colour it is, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom