• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Huh. I usually enjoy the april fools jokes around here, this year's included. It's only a day of interruption, so I don't see how its *that* inconveniencing

My Kindle randomly decided to log me out of Twitter, and I can't remember what my password is because I don't log out of websites anymore. I have my password in a Notepad document, but I can't log onto my computer right now.

The change in forums was slightly annoying, but I decided to view it as a day off. Had quite a bit of fun with it. I'll have to see if I can get someone to move my garden tour moved to the art archive, as I was actually quite proud of that.

My Kindle randomly decided to log me out of Twitter, and I can't remember what my password is because I don't log out of websites anymore. I have my password in a Notepad document, but I can't log onto my computer right now.

This is one of the great struggles of our times!

Speaking of passwords, I'm pretty sure I'm boned on like, my email, my steam, my twitter, various gaming accounts, etc. if I ever get logged out of them. I used to write them down on a postit note attached to my monitor but that's disappeared somewhere along the line.

I'm guilty of using the same password, or at least variations of the same few passwords, so I can usually get any password I've forgotten in a few guesses.

Same here. I use a small collection of somewhat complex passwords. Sure, it might not be the recommended thing to do, but it's better than forgetting it every time and having to use the 'Forgot Password' feature.

I use one of those password managers. Because I'm honestly not going to be going on site's like this on a public computer. Or, say, doing my banking on one, either.

Gardenews is back to normal. XD If anyone else sees something we forgot, let me know.

I also use the same 3-4 passwords across sites... and I still usually have to use the "forgot password" function. Mostly because some places require capital letters and special symbols while others don't, etc... :\ Guess I should just forever use a password with those qualifications already, but I'm too lazy to change everything.

I checked my passwords file this morning. Nowadays, if I deliberately log out of a website, it means I'm never logging back in again. I think logging out on a regular basis would be a good habit.

Password managers are worth their weight in gold! Obviously that's not hard since they have no physical existence but the sentiment applies nonetheless. You can get them for free and log in remotely too.

Be careful with simple or reused passwords, especially on a site like this, especially especially if you are a mod or admin. I recall a few years back there was a spate of attacks targeting Pokemon forums and the then Head Admin of Bulba (not me!) got hit.

Those of you saying that always using the forgot password feature is worse are right of course.

A useful website is www.haveibeenpwned.com Stick the email accounts you use in there. If any of them come up with "pwnage" make sure you don't ever reuse the password associated with those accounts in particular!

Keepass has a lovely password generator function that, based on the settings, can churn out mighty passwords (and that's how I like my passwords). Copy/pasting them from the (encrypted) database is a matter of right click and click on copy username or copy password. They are deleted from the memory after a few seconds or pasting the information. I keep my Keepass database on a USB -stick so I only plug it in when I need it.

My passwords probably aren't particularly strong (they usually rank upper yellow on those meter things), but strong enough I think. At least I don't use "123abc" like so many people. At the tail end of high school I broke into sooooooo many student accounts who had that as their password.

Found a lot of juicy gossip within the school-hosted email system >: )

Last edited:
All of this password manager stuff sounds fun... and I could probably really use one given the many lost accounts that have piled up over the years due to long-forgotten passwords. But with all of the vulnerabilities that have been exposed in technology lately, I can't help but be somewhat paranoid that one of these password managers could turn out to have some sort of fatal security flaw hidden somewhere. And what would happen if not just one of your passwords is exposed to the world, but all of them, all at once? Then you'd be completely and utterly screwed. With that thought in mind, I'm hesitant to trust a password manager quite that easily, so long as it relies on a computer that can be hacked or exploited. I'd sooner write down my passwords down on paper (an "analog" password manager, so to speak) and secure them somewhere in my house for when I really need or forget them. And even then I'd probably still be paranoid about someone kicking down the door and taking them anyway...

My passwords probably aren't particularly strong (they usually rank upper yellow on those meter things), but strong enough I think. At least I don't use "123abc" like so many people. At the tail end of high school I broke into sooooooo many student accounts who had that as their password.

Found a lot of juicy gossip within the school-hosted email system >:)
Oh, you evil hacker, you.

So, about those gossips.....

I do use a password manager and I'm always a bit nervous about it. I have a tendency to generate new passwords on the most critical sites (i.e. anything finance-related) in an attempt to settle those nerves. ^^;

So, about those gossips.....
Oh, just boring shit like "hey we're gonna get drunk this weekend come party with us" and "so julia is such a bitch and here's a lengthy list of stupid things she's done". Incidentally, someone did abuse the school email system to mail a topless photo of one of the other students to *everyone* in the school, faculty included, but that was far before I started breaking into accounts out of boredom. I never found anything quite like that. :p

Back
Top Bottom