• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Cardboard characters. Flat lifeless dialogue. Repetitive in everything. Dragonball Z. Somehow I was completely addicted to what is most likely the most predictable series in the world. I'm pretty sure you can program a dialogue generator that can do a better job that the default prattle. Heck, any random plot generator could most likely come up with a better story.
Eh, DBZ's story wasn't masterful, it did the job for me. Yeah, it was pretty straightforward but there was still the occasional surprising plot twist (Goku and Piccolo's origins, Trunks, etc.,). As for the stale characters, well, there was a 150+ episode series preceding DBZ, so there wasn't really a lot left to do with the holdover cast.

I rewatched the first episode of Dinosaur King a few weeks ago, and I couldn't enjoy it at all, whereas I can still get enjoyment from other cheesy kid's shows, even ones that weren't part of my childhood.

DBZ (and the newer one I forget the name of, Super?) is definitely trash tier writing and character development, but... I absolutely couldn't help myself from watching it when it aired on Adult Swim back when I had cable TV. I wouldn't describe it as a train wreck, but it has the same amount of bizarre appeal that you can't look away from.

On the other end of the spectrum, Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, one of the most iconic anime of all the that slowly faded into obscurity, is riddled with pacing problems that lead me to suspect that it was a victim of time constraints, and has one of the worst cases of sadness for sadness' sake at the expense of logic that I've ever seen (I'm referring to what happens to Alphonse at the end, by the way), yet I love it to pieces. The circumstances that lead to its creation could have easily caused it to be a cash grab, but instead they created something truly beautiful. They don't make 'em like this anymore, and I've never been able to fill the void, though I was able to move on.

I have this feeling of "there's so much about this show I still don't know" that completely disappears at episode fifty.

I want to review it one day, but I'm not confident enough to talk about the heavy stuff, so I might wait a while. Also, I cried thinking about the ending of Conqueror of Shamballa a few months ago. /ramble

Well I just went off on a tangent. I've never seen Dragon Ball.

...and neither have I, even as a child growing up in America in the 90's where it was very much present and available. Never even crossed my radar at all, honestly... instead, my Japanese cartoon of choice back then was the Pokémon anime (speaking of kid's shows with questionable writing and character development). I've actually been re-watching quite a bit of the first season lately, including some episodes that I've only watched for the first time. It's not Shakespeare, that's for sure... but I actually think that it held up surprisingly well for me, given that I kept on watching because I was legitimately interested and entertained by it, rather than out of bile fascination for some of its lesser elements (although there were plenty of those moments, too). I do think that nostalgia will always at least somewhat color my perception of it, though... I wonder how someone who's never watched the anime at all - and who knows absolutely nothing about it - would think?

Eh, DBZ's story wasn't masterful, it did the job for me. Yeah, it was pretty straightforward but there was still the occasional surprising plot twist (Goku and Piccolo's origins, Trunks, etc.,). As for the stale characters, well, there was a 150+ episode series preceding DBZ, so there wasn't really a lot left to do with the holdover cast.

They could've at least tried to make it less obvious how useless all of them are. :p I mean, sure, none of them hold a candle to Goku and Vegeta (not even Gohan anymore, and Goten/Trunks fell behind too), but surely, the creators could've done something interesting with them.

I've posted on a designated thread on r/MysteryDungeon asking for someone to rescue me in Explorers of Time, but I'm impatient. Should I wait for someone to rescue me, or should I run the SOS mail through a wondermail generator to get the A-OK mail? Because my conscience tells me I should do the former.

I'm also waiting for a rescue in Blue, but I don't want to post it on that thread because I've already been rescued in the same dungeon twice.

Also, is there anywhere I can read about the nitty-gritty of wondermail? I asked a streamer how it worked and he said it was like a programming language, and now I want to learn more.

Last edited:
Are the remakes pretty much exactly the same as the originals as far as gameplay, controls, and overall feel are concerned? As in, they're basically the PS1 versions with HD graphics? I've heard that the developers made quite a bit of effort to preserve every little detail and behavior... perhaps to a fault, if that's really true?

Are the remakes pretty much exactly the same as the originals as far as gameplay, controls, and overall feel are concerned? As in, they're basically the PS1 versions with HD graphics? I've heard that the developers made quite a bit of effort to preserve every little detail and behavior... perhaps to a fault, if that's really true?
It's... different. The biggest changes are to the hit boxes. But the physics of Crash's jump (which is pretty weighty) are now consisted across all three games. Also, they fixed the problem with Crash 1 where you could only get gems if you cleared the level w/o dying and while breaking all the boxes. At the very least, N. Sane Trilogy is the best way to play Crash 1.

They could've at least tried to make it less obvious how useless all of them are. :p I mean, sure, none of them hold a candle to Goku and Vegeta (not even Gohan anymore, and Goten/Trunks fell behind too), but surely, the creators could've done something interesting with them.
IMO, best thing they could have done was leave Goku dead after the Cell saga and elevate Gohan to the lead role the rest of the way. It looked like they were setting up for that, but, nope.

IMO, best thing they could have done was leave Goku dead after the Cell saga and elevate Gohan to the lead role the rest of the way. It looked like they were setting up for that, but, nope.

Shot themselves in the foot with that one, they did. Guess that's what happens with you can wish the dead back to life with the Dragon Balls, so there's no actual stakes when it comes to characters dying.

The problem with everything coming to Switch is that it makes me regret buying a PS4. I got it to play Kingdom Hearts, but lost interest in that, and almost every other PS4 game I'm interested in is multi-platform.

Don't know how true it is, but I heard that making Gohan the lead (as "Saiyanman") was actually what they intended to do, but the fans liked Goku too much so they brought him back. In a similar way to how Vegeta was originally meant to be a one season character, but ended up sticking around because he was so popular.

Good News: I'm employed! As a full-time Japanese-English translator in a clinical research company!!!

Bad News: And there goes away my precious time for my hobbies...... I guess my fic is just destined to never finish.

Back
Top Bottom