• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've been thinking about this EverBright story I want to write again, and I've finally realised what I want it to be: a Saturday morning cartoon where everyone dies (not literally), in the vein of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Our cute protagonist goes on adventures where she helps various creatures that live in her world, and by the way, the backstory of this world is horrifying.

...I'm not really sure what this backstory is, though, beyond "mammalian pterosaurs that everyone respects turn out to be the ancestors of blue flying squirrels, the protagonist's species." Something must have seriously disrupted the environment in order for them to evolve that way.

Not knowledgeable about EverBright, but interesting to hear about your planning process...

Kinda hit me the other day that I used to think all the time about my stories as I was falling asleep at night, and now, the only time I can really think about them is when I sit down explicitly to write or plan, and sometimes, not even then. Where'd my imagination go? smh :p

Alright, I’m actually getting around to working on original writing again! Wow, go me!

Only problem is that I’m indecisive. I’ve got two possible routes to go down for this story. One really plays up the sci-fi aspect of the story, (because, well, it’s a sci-fi story), although it might lean a bit into space fantasy territory. The other route downplays the sci-fi to focus on the culture and society, and I’m not sure which I want to go with. Writing is hard, yo.

I'm about to finish the Fanfic Alolan Fever Dream.

Finished the cross over parts already and I want a final word on the title of the next fic in the series.

Summary. Gladion was forced to take Lillie and his rival Elio along for a trip to Johto to return a Lugia home. The boys ended up surprising Lillie with a mysterious egg!

Does the title Seafaring Travels work? It's a slice of life fic otherwise and I want to hear if it rings or not.

Last edited:
Back when Pokémon X and Y were released, a lot of people were jokingly comparing it to Fullmetal Alchemist, but I can't remember most of the reasons why now. The only one that comes to mind is that the capital city is shaped like a pentagon.

Back when Pokémon X and Y were released, a lot of people were jokingly comparing it to Fullmetal Alchemist, but I can't remember most of the reasons why now. The only one that comes to mind is that the capital city is shaped like a pentagon.

I think it's because of infinite energy and the whole AZ/Floette story, which is about an absolute weapon built by draining the life force of Pokémon.

Hi, all! I was here for a while way back in the distant past of 2012, and I've been wondering about returning to Bulbagarden in some capacity. I've since started fresh with my fanfic, and kept in touch with @Gama , so when he posted his latest piece it encouraged me to say hi here.

I know this account's got some years on it, but I may as well be a complete newcomer. Is there an intro thread I haven't spotted, or anything? What's the community like these days? Anyone I might have known back in the day? (Besides GaMa, obviously.)

Regardless, hello to anyone! I'm Jack, I'm 23, British, and I'm an aspirant professional writer. I like cats, speculative fiction, strategy games, Mars, history, Esperanto, artificial intelligence, food, and pokémon, in no particular order. My avatar is obviously a photorealistic depiction of me.

While I've been away, I've taken a uni course in writing! My first novel is mostly written, but needs a ton of editing, and it's about a conspiracy to conceal the existence of alien life and technology from the public. My fanfic, however, is about pokémon-human hybrids, personhood and how it's recognised, and the place of humans and technology in the natural world.

It's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome back, @unrepentantAuthor! Don’t know if you remember me, but we did do a few review exchanges back in the day. If your post is hinting at Different Eyes, well, sign me up! :D

Our rulebook used to be partly an introduction thread, but most people came to this general chat thread instead, so we changed the title. There’s weekly mini-newsletters in the rulebook thread, though, to keep everyone updated on the latest WW news.

@diamondpearl876 hi there! The name is familiar, even if six years is too great a distance to recall you properly. Are you still writing? I'm happy to make your acquaintance anew, and I certainly feel very welcome here already~ And I am indeed hinting at a reboot of Different Eyes, which I've been rewriting from scratch. I'm not even convinced I should keep the title, ha!

Thanks for the info, btw, that's very helpful.

@diamondpearl876 hi there! The name is familiar, even if six years is too great a distance to recall you properly. Are you still writing? I'm happy to make your acquaintance anew, and I certainly feel very welcome here already~ And I am indeed hinting at a reboot of Different Eyes, which I've been rewriting from scratch. I'm not even convinced I should keep the title, ha!

Thanks for the info, btw, that's very helpful.

That's fair, haha. I'm still writing, yep! :D I finished my fic that I was writing when you were last around (Survival Project) and have started three other chaptered fics since. And I mean, Different Eyes might be different now, but it was already pretty great to start with, so! I'll be excited to see what changes you've made over the years. :D

@unrepentantAuthor
You know, I can't help but recognize your name from somewhere... not just possibly from here, but maybe also from another forum somewhere. In any case, it's always nice to see a (not-so-)new face around here... welcome (back)!

By the way, what's the story behind that story banner that you have in your signature right now? It certainly catches the eye (no pun intended...)

Cheers, Kris.

@InfiniteBakuphoon
I was moderately active on Serebii in 2012 as well, which is the most likely place you might've seen me. I didn't make any significant connections there, though, so I'm not trying to be social there just now. Thanks either way!

The banner is something an artist friend of mine cooked up six years ago for my fanfic that's been in the works twice as long. 'S'posed to be the eyes of the main protagonists from the previous edition, partly because a major theme of the story is new perspectives, but mostly because it looks cool. I'm very likely to get a new banner soon if possible, otherwise it'll be linking to the new thread when it goes up in a few days/weeks. Exciting!

This thread's not dying on my watch.

Siy5oOu.jpg
So, what's the weather like? This image accurately displays my local weather... I woke up to snow yesterday and I knew it was going to be a bad day as a consequence. I suppose it's normal for my area to experience snow this late into spring, but damn it, I want the weather to improve.

Nice and sunny weather here, it's going to be a nice 23 degrees Celcius today.

So yea, perfect day to stay inside and do more writing.

Last edited:
nice semi-sunny 12C weather here today, feels very deserved after how cold this spring's been. it seems like the snow's finally going away for good.

Back
Top Bottom