• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

It's cold, gloomy, and wet. Because the powers that be won't rest until everyone living around me has a vitamin D deficiency.

I don't know because I don't go outside.

I usually do avoid going out in the winter, though. Now it's tough to plan going out still. xD It's been a mix of monstrous winds, cold, sunny, warm, overcast, rainy, lightning... If I still lived in the heart of U.S.'s midwest, I'd be moving my bedroom to the basement anticipating a tornado at any moment.

I was struggling to recall what dress code I gave one of the characters to signify his vintage taste. It wasn't Victorian nor Gothic but close to the mark. The answer came to me just now: baroque (reference picture). Now how to describe it, though. I would rather not use those three keywords but more a vivid description.

Last edited:
I was struggling to recall what dress code I gave one of the characters to signify his vintage taste. It wasn't Victorian nor Gothic but close to the mark. The answer came to me just now: baroque (reference picture).
Oooooh. I approve!

It's been a mix of monstrous winds, cold, sunny, warm, overcast, rainy, lightning...
You sure you ever left New York? :p

Once I saw a Tumblr post joking that winter this year was all like, "and another thing".

Also, I've been entertaining the idea of that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanficiton again, and I was wondering: what safety precautions would they have in that world? For example, I was imagining a scenario where the protagonists watch an anime-style arena battle where the stands were made of fireproof material to prevent the whole place being burned down by, say, a Charmander's tail flame. Also, a Glaceon who participated assures our human-turned-Pokémon protagonist that Pokémon hold back when they fight, which also serves as foreshadowing for how Shadow Pokémon DON'T hold back.

Once I saw a Tumblr post joking that winter this year was all like, "and another thing".

Also, I've been entertaining the idea of that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanficiton again, and I was wondering: what safety precautions would they have in that world? For example, I was imagining a scenario where the protagonists watch an anime-style arena battle where the stands were made of fireproof material to prevent the whole place being burned down by, say, a Charmander's tail flame. Also, a Glaceon who participated assures our human-turned-Pokémon protagonist that Pokémon hold back when they fight, which also serves as foreshadowing for how Shadow Pokémon DON'T hold back.
Shadow Pokémon in a PMD fic? Have you by any chance ever read the webcomic victory fire?

D-Did someone say shadow pokémon?!?! Definitely not enough of those around... Or Orre fics in general...

Anyway, safety precautions. Could have psychic-types put up a protective barrier. Could have blisseys and chanseys on standby to help those hit by attacks on accident or whatever, in case safeguards fail. Or, depending on how sentient your pokémon are (probably very, if it's a PMD fic), just have them agree to tournament rules that they can't go crazy with these kinds of things lest they hurt innocent bystanders. ^^;

i just recently wrote a nidoking character as having trimmed his quills (yeah yeah yeah i'm an arvalis fangirl sue me) and filed his horns in order to be more approachable. in my fics he has the intimidate ability, but for a poison point mon, trimming spines might be pretty necessary in order not to accidentally injure humans other mon in a crowd.

Shadow Pokémon in a PMD fic? Have you by any chance ever read the webcomic victory fire?
I've read a bit of it, but I prefer reading comics on a page to a screen, so I don't read webcomics.

@diamondpearl876 Glad you mentioned Chansey and Blissey! I also like to imagine a scenario at the end of a crossover (ie: not this fanfic idea) where the protagonist finally realises that the two worlds can co-exist when they see a Chansey mothering some children from the other world.

@canisaries Nidoking can't have Intimidate.

Glad you mentioned Chansey and Blissey! I also like to imagine a scenario at the end of a crossover (ie: not this fanfic idea) where the protagonist finally realises that the two worlds can co-exist when they see a Chansey mothering some children from the other world.

This is, quite frankly, an adorable idea.

Once I was entertaining the idea of some Pokémon/Digimon crossover in a Mystery Dungeon setting which ended something like that, along with having a "we're not monsters" (*rimshot*) speech near the climax.

How many people will care about grammar when they are speaking?

There came an English language teacher in my workplace, and I was told my grammar need more polishing, handed me a textbook that teaches all those formal Oxford English......

If it is in writing where words are jotted in black and white, I'll notice and pay attention to grammar. But when it comes to speaking and listening…… The accents and tone of voice already took away all my attention from the grammar.

Additionally, who the heck will talk in formal Oxford English with all those textbook "correct" grammar when you are just trying to talk with your friends and colleagues?

How many people will care about grammar when they are speaking?

Additionally, who the heck will talk in formal Oxford English with all those textbook "correct" grammar when you are just trying to talk with your friends and colleagues?
*raises hand*

I can’t help it as an English major. Reading and hearing incorrect grammar is like nails on the chalkboard of my brain.

Most of the time, I don't care as much. But when it comes to infinitives and 'is/are', it really makes me want to pull the grammar card on them. I really don't know how ten-years-worth of English card have failed to teach people on the proper usage of them!

Wait, hold on, the classes have taught them, they simply don't care. I guess noticing bad grammar is the curse of being a writer.

I live in a place where everyone's talking too quickly for any of us to realize (or care) if we're not grammatically correct. *shrug*

my dad still doesn't believe that "x" is pronounced as "z" and not "ks" in words like "xenophobia" or "xylophone" no matter what i show him. however i feel like my grammar gestapoing is justified because he sometimes keeps lectures/presentations in english and one needs to make themselves understood.

speaking of, there are some pretty cringe-inducing technology-related mispronunciations in finnish unis that just won't go away, such as "uh-lie-as-ing" for "aliasing" and "hee-der" for "header". you'd think they would have bumped into the right pronunciations in native english material and fixed themselves by now, but curiously no

my dad still doesn't believe that "x" is pronounced as "z" and not "ks" in words like "xenophobia" or "xylophone" no matter what i show him. however i feel like my grammar gestapoing is justified because he sometimes keeps lectures/presentations in english and one needs to make themselves understood.

That reminds me of the X-Men cartoons I watched as a kid. Everyone in the show would use the "ks" pronunciation for Charles Xavier's name (which makes sense in-universe, he is Professor X), but used the normal pronunciation for his school - the Xavier Institute.

Back
Top Bottom